WPIX to launch an Early Evening Newscast

DMA

I wasn't surprised with this because they have been pouring out with the news updates between 4-8pm they were the only station that has not cut back on the news or anything else because they cover breaking news during the afternoon.

Did you read the article linked at the top of this thread???

Haha, wow. Well anyway its good to hear that they are bringing in a 6:30 broadcast, it might work out...

The article doesn't say they are starting a 6:30 pm newscast. It says that they are starting an early evening newscast that may possibly be at 6:30pm.

Is there a planned lauch date?

The article says in the fall it will be launched, possibly in September.

If so, it would actually be the return of such a newscast to PIX...another case of "Back To The Future" for the station.

Earlier in the thread, abric did suggest 6:30p as a possible time, which raises the question of whether and how such a newscast would fare against the network news offerings. However, it may work, especially at this time of year, as a :30 news program would then be a lead-in to a weeknight Mets telecast on PIX.

Another possible time would be 7p, at which PIX would have the advantage of not being up against any broadcast news program, local OR network.

I think 6:30 would be a weird time...I think 4:00 would be better. Sure, it's against Oprah, but most of the other syndicated shows are pretty weak at that time.

6:30pm is a good time. Many people would rather have local news to watch instead of national news that don't effect them when it comes to their neighborhood. Some other Tribune stations have a evening newscast. KTLA has a 6:30pm news and WGN has a 5:30pm news. So I think WPIX will do well against the networks at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Kaity confirmed that the newscast will be at 6:30 on her blog:

Hello Everyone! Always good to hear from you! And thanks for the support.

Nash, I happen to be a huge fan of Family Guy, and the character you are talking about ("our Asian reporter), is hilarious.

No, we do not have a nationwide network. We WILL, however, add a 6:30 PM local newscast beginning mid September, in addition to the News at Ten. As for the Morning News, Nash, I am never up in time to watch it, but it's really a good show! I know all the guys who work on it, and they are a terrific team.. You mean, you don't like Jill Nicolini, suki, john, linda church and larry hoff? ! Give it another chance :) But I stay with US at 10, okay?

And Chuck, The Boss segment is very cool, I agree.

Archived