New Traffic Center

nynewslover

Tonigt Jim Dolan just did a report from that same "pseudo set", it actually looks pretty nice. Now there is a big projector with a rotating circle 7 animation. I wonder if this is a sign of more changes to come? Because that location looks a lot better than the actual studio lol. Also I must add that just minutes before the 11PM broadcast, Bill and Liz both did a preview fom that desk so it must be located within the studio.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tonigt Jim Dolan just did a report from that same "pseudo set", it actually looks pretty nice. Now there is a big projector with a rotating circle 7 animation. I wonder if this is a sign of more changes to come? Because that location looks a lot better than the actual studio lol. Also I must add that just minutes before the 11PM broadcast, Bill and Liz both did a preview fom that desk so it must be located within the studio.

Ok, let me tell you the deal with the set everyone is talking about.

It's upstairs, on the 4th floor, not in studio 13.

If anyone remembers the days of the old weather center (with the desk and the monitor to the left, it's the same space)

It's a corner that's been painted green, yes, as in chromakey green.

The "projections" that you see behind whoever is there, is a computer image, kind of like a virtual set. Hence the way that the background can change, depending on the story, situation, segment, etc.

The two plasma monitors to the left are the only "real" part of the set, along with the lucite top desk.

It uses a flashcam.

There are no plans to use the space as a second main set for the newscasts. It can be used as a backup, if neccessary - just as the newsroom was after the fire in studio 13.

The backdrop is clearly a rear projection screen, not a chromakey. If it were a chromakey, the image would not be faded, as it'd be inserted graphically.

Vlad, the screen has always been there...those monitors aren't real.

The backdrop is clearly a rear projection screen, not a chromakey. If it were a chromakey, the image would not be faded, as it'd be inserted graphically.

Vlad, the screen has always been there...those monitors aren't real.

"Utterly false." - just to use your own words.

Ok, DMA, you're usually up on your stuff, but I see the thing everyday with my own eyes. If you really think that only rear projection would make an image appear faded, you have to realize that these days a computer can make images look like anything we want.

The image is only "blurred" when the control room VR is used. Other backgrounds are perfectly clear.

There is another "Green Area" (not new) too that I noticed the news anchors and reporters use as well, its an area that has huge Over The Shoulder graphic on the left hand side along with a portion of the main set, showing brown circle pillar with the blue faded Circle 7 background showing on the right. The computers frequently have issues with that section of the set because sometimes the anchor would dissappear, or the background would turn black, haha.

There is another "Green Area" (not new) too that I noticed the news anchors and reporters use as well, its an area that has huge Over The Shoulder graphic on the left hand side along with a portion of the main set, showing brown circle pillar with the blue faded Circle 7 background showing on the right. The computers frequently have issues with that section of the set because sometimes the anchor would dissappear, or the background would turn black, haha.

Yes, Vlad, you're right.. that's the chromakey wall that's actually in the studio, the same one that's used for weather. Another example of the "virtual set"

"Utterly false." - just to use your own words.

Ok, DMA, you're usually up on your stuff, but I see the thing everyday with my own eyes. If you really think that only rear projection would make an image appear faded, you have to realize that these days a computer can make images look like anything we want.

The image is only "blurred" when the control room VR is used. Other backgrounds are perfectly clear.

Sir,

Referencing this screencap...

• The way the screen reflects on the desk surface wouldn't be blurry. As you can see from this video, reflections in virtual sets are crisp.
  • The left of the monitors clearly show a blue glow being emitted from somewhere right behind them. Either WABC has some AMAZING lighting technicians, or that they're being sourced from the decorative blue area immediately behind them.
  • There is imperfections all over the thing, from what appears to be a knick in the metal along the bottom of the RP to uneven light reflections on other surfaces.
  • The image on the RP fades to a silver color at the very bottom, something often seen on RP screens.
  • The keyer would be attempting to key out the map.
  • Virtual sets always look cheesey.

Sir,

Referencing this screencap...

• The way the screen reflects on the desk surface wouldn't be blurry. As you can see from this video, reflections in virtual sets are crisp.
  • The left of the monitors clearly show a blue glow being emitted from somewhere right behind them. Either WABC has some AMAZING lighting technicians, or that they're being sourced from the decorative blue area immediately behind them.
  • There is imperfections all over the thing, from what appears to be a knick in the metal along the bottom of the RP to uneven light reflections on other surfaces.
  • The image on the RP fades to a silver color at the very bottom, something often seen on RP screens.
  • The keyer would be attempting to key out the map.
  • Virtual sets always look cheesey.

Referencing the same screencap...

The part to the left of Joe Nolan, and under the lucite desk, is in fact, real. I never said that part wasn't.

The part to the right, is NOT rear projection. That is a green painted background. I will take a picture of the damn thing and post it if I have to.

The what you see as a reflection in that screencap is certainly coming from the plasma to the left, and the vague lighting which is visible on the desk to the right is most likely from the actual lighted part of the set which surrounds the chromakey area.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/8a4ecd54708227

The right side of the projection is reflected onto what I assume is a mirror, which is quite common in many small studios. There's no way that's a chromakey.

I'm sure Steve and I would like to be proven wrong, it'd be great to see a photo of the new area. If we never see the photo, which I assume will be the case, I'll just assume Steve and I are correct.

Referencing the same screencap...

The part to the left of Joe Nolan, and under the lucite desk, is in fact, real. I never said that part wasn't.

The part to the right, is NOT rear projection. That is a green painted background. I will take a picture of the damn thing and post it if I have to.

The what you see as a reflection in that screencap is certainly coming from the plasma to the left, and the vague lighting which is visible on the desk to the right is most likely from the actual lighted part of the set which surrounds the chromakey area.

You should take that picture. There is no chroma wall there whatsoever. I don't know what you're seeing...

The station group I work for does two newscasts for our ABC and spanish-language stations on a virtual set. There's no question about it, you can tell. We tried to move our flagship station's newscasts onto that set over the summer but it didn't work out, it looks so tacky.

Now - WABC can be using the rear projection screen with a green image and keying off that.. but why the hell would you even try? If you can key in the image, you could just as easily punch it up onto the rear projection screen. I've seen what happens you try the first option, it doesn't look good.

I'd bet the farm that's NOT a chroma key wall and those monitors ARE real.

Why?

Look at the reflection of the projection screen AND the TV monitors on the desk. Pretty simple, guys.

Once again, read the posts....

the monitors ARE real. I said that.

I'll just take the damn picture. Not to prove that I'm right, just to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Once again, read the posts....

the monitors ARE real. I said that.

I'll just take the damn picture. Not to prove that I'm right, just to prove all the naysayers wrong.

I don't know, I'm having a hard time believing that the image behind Scott and Joe is Chroma Keyed. I'd really like to see that picture because all of us believe that is truly a Projection Screen in the background. If it is indeed a Green Screen, then I'm in awe because that is some amazing Chroma Keying, lol. Unless like what Dylan said they are keying off of a projection screen in either case, but that would be extra work for nothing, and the projection screen would project a green image as opposed to what we see on the desk. What really throws the Chroma Key notion away is the reflection that is visible on Joe Nolan's desk, plus if it were Green Screen there would be some imperfections around the edges of the anchors sitting in front of it, such as rough and jagged green edges indicative of a Green or Blue Screen, and those edges would be noticeable especially since its in HD.

The thing is, it's not like the control room projection looks particularly realistic, but it's clear that it's a projection since it's faded.

I'm looking forward to seeing that photo.

41859433.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1257897777&Signature=yHzAGlrzT9oxlr1odhqZQ0INjTo%3D41859433.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1257806975&Signature=E2FHucQWlqpzdBPcObqkoH8ZFNc%3D41859433.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1257805714&Signature=hiintV8JaxlhBX2CHWa5X5GNHws%3D

I don't know what you get from lying, nynewsguy.

Anyone remember these statements?

Vlad is right. The current set will be incorporated into the TV13 SuperStudio once it's built. This allows WABC to use their set while the construction is taking place on the other side of the wall. Eventually, the current space that WABC occupies will be used for the morning set, but that's not until the new 6 & 11PM set debuts, and the current one is moved to the space currently used by Regis & Kelly. Then, construction will begin on the morning set. It's going to take place in "stages" for lack of a better word.

Their will be a rear projection behind the set, it's not going to be chromakey. It will have a live shot from Number 1 Times Square looking south, so it will actually be a view of Manhattan, from Manhattan, not from NJ or Brooklyn.

the "super studio" is still in the works. Don't worry - It will debut around November in time for sweeps. Remember, the next sweeps period isn't until September. There's Feb, May, Sept, Nov. Only 4 sweeps periods. The current set will be part of the new "super studio" in one way or another. The other two sets will be built for AM and 6/11. The current one will be used for noon/5pm.

I'm interested to find out why Regis and Kelly did not move to the old Tony Danza studio space? Did abc use it for another show and that's why Regis and Kelly have stayed in the WABC studio?

In the beginning, I was under the impression that they were using it for Rachael Ray, but that show is not in that building, so I wonder why not move it in there myself, but I guess the costs would outweigh the benefits as they would have to get a complete new control room, or convert the existing control room into HD and purchase new HD equipment and cameras and it's something that nowadays is not a priority for most stations as HD is pretty expensive. If they can get a plasma backdrop similar to what they use in that New Traffic and Report desk, to replace the Duratrans that they use for each of their shows, that would dramatically change the look of their set for the better. Its these little changes that would certainly improve their image..

The image behind the reporters is different tonight.

It's the NYC skyline with a blue background and the circle 7.

It looked much better then the control room monitors look they had been using.

If they use it again tonight I'll try to get a screen cap.

Archived