WABC begins roll-out of new music

nynewsguy

This is the week that WABC will be rolling out the new music signature in the newscasts.

Look for changes to the openings... not graphics wise, but with the EWN NG5 signatures recently created by Gari.

It's possible that there will no longer be talent opens....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are still using the current bumper from Eyewitness News Series 4. And regular opens as of the 5:30PM broadcast. They have started to use even more new Station ID cuts from that same package as of yesterday. Its not suprising for WABC to do this tactic, they usually unveil music well after a major graphic overhaul as they did back in 1999, when they had changed their graphics in 1998, but they actually continued using the Series 1 music (Without Talent Opens) untill November of that year to switch to Series 4, what they use right now, which is likely to change to Series or NG5? As we're told.. I hope its nice, the music they have now, although very redundant and played out at this point, as they've been using it for 10 years, is still really nice. There is actually a Series 5 of Eyewitness News available too as well, so my assumption is that it may actually be the New Generation 4. Chris Gari had composed most of the New Generation packages as well. As for the Talent Opens, I also agree that they are at this point no longer viable in newscasts as they have been abandoned by many stations for the most part. At one point, they've abandoned them, before and it looks like they may likely do so again, this time, permanently as talent opens are no longer the trend for newscasts anymore and are essentially "out of style" so to say, lol. Most modern broadcasts tend to have quick opens, to quickly deliver the news to viewers. WABC is actually the only Station this area that uses them as WCBS, WNBC, and WNYW and WPIX have all abandoned them..

For the 6pm newscast Diana & Sade tossed directly to Bill and Liz at 5:58pm and they did the preview of the 6pm newscast with the new music under it.

There was no formal talent intro.

Yep the new music has just taken effect for the 6PM broadcast. No more talent opens, and it was a quick toss from Sade and Diana to Bill and Liz. Whom were all seated at the same set. So they must be really cramped in that set, knowing how small WABC's set is, lol. There are also no voice overs from Charlie Van Dyke for the new music yet. So you can hear it clearly for now. I guess its just way too early, I'm sure that'll change soon though. Overall, the cut is definitely suitable for WABC and it is something that you'd hear in a New York area, very assertive much like the predecessor for an area like New York which is often harder and more serious, comparing to newscasts in the other DMAs such as Los Angeles and Miami and etc. Its definitely much better than what they used before, not significantly but it is current and modern. Hopefully they'll have different cuts for different hours, like WCBS. But so far so good. Since today is the first day, the change may more than likely be gradual and will occur overtime, rather than instantly since they have to reprogram all of their soundboards and equipment with the new music. The bumpers are still the same though so apparently for now all they've changed so far was just the Open. Close is still the same as well.

Yep the new music has just taken effect for the 6PM broadcast. No more talent opens, and it was a quick toss from Sade and Diana to Bill and Liz. Whom were all seated at the same set. So they must be really cramped in that set, knowing how small WABC's set is, lol. There are also no voice overs from Charlie Van Dyke for the new music yet. So you can hear it clearly for now. I guess its just way too early, I'm sure that'll change soon though. Overall, the cut is definitely suitable for WABC and it is something that you'd hear in a New York area, very assertive much like the predecessor for an area like New York which is often harder and more serious, comparing to newscasts in the other DMAs such as Los Angeles and Miami and etc. Its definitely much better than what they used before, not significantly but it is current and modern. Hopefully they'll have different cuts for different hours, like WCBS. But so far so good. Since today is the first day, the change may more than likely be gradual and will occur overtime, rather than instantly since they have to reprogram all of their soundboards and equipment with the new music. The bumpers are still the same though so apparently for now all they've changed so far was just the Open. Close is still the same as well.

This is NOT the first night they did this... they started doing it like last Thursady or Friday

Speaking of Gari's EWN music packages, on the NMSA, it says that WABC started using them in 1993.

That's false, because when I was in NYC in the Summer of 1994 they were still using the NewsSeries2000 package (also by Gari) and the "ABC logo transforms into Channel 7 logo" opens. So most likely the WABC started using EWN in the Fall of 1994.

Speaking of Gari's EWN music packages, on the NMSA, it says that WABC started using them in 1993.

That's false, because when I was in NYC in the Summer of 1994 they were still using the NewsSeries2000 package (also by Gari) and the "ABC logo transforms into Channel 7 logo" opens. So most likely the WABC started using EWN in the Fall of 1994.

Here Is A "Rough History" of the Music Used At WABC.. (Correct Me If I'm Wrong)

Cool Hand Luke - The Tar Sequence: 1968 - 1992

News Series 2000: 1989 - 1994 (Some Cuts Were Used Concurrently With The Tar Sequence)

Eyewitness News 1: 1994 -1999

Eyewitness News 4: 1999 - Current

Eyewitness News NG 4: 2010 - Current (In Use Concurrently With EWN 4)

It also may help to know that according to the Gari Website, the Eyewitness News Package is now known as the "ABC O&O Collection", meaning that only ABC Stations in the US can commission its use.

Here Is A "Rough History" of the Music Used At WABC.. (Correct Me If I'm Wrong)

Cool Hand Luke - The Tar Sequence: 1968 - 1992

News Series 2000: 1989 - 1994 (Some Cuts Were Used Concurrently With The Tar Sequence)

Eyewitness News 1: 1994 -1999

Eyewitness News 4: 1999 - Current

Eyewitness News NG 4: 2010 - Current (In Use Concurrently With EWN 4)

It also may help to know that according to the Gari Website, the Eyewitness News Package is now known as the "ABC O&O Collection", meaning that only ABC Stations in the US can commission its use.

Well, according to this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20050728142037/http://www.geocities.com/abc7ny/musicandopens.html

If you click on "1999 - Now; ABC7 Eyewitness News Opening Music" and play it in the RealPlayer, it will say Series 3. It may be wrong, so I'll let you be the judge.

Well, according to this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20050728142037/http://www.geocities.com/abc7ny/musicandopens.html

If you click on "1999 - Now; ABC7 Eyewitness News Opening Music" and play it in the RealPlayer, it will say Series 3. It may be wrong, so I'll let you be the judge.

Haha, I remember that site, a very old one, but yeah it is actually wrong and the package that they are using now is actually Series 4.

Here is a video of the new open:

[YT]9lsMNRMz-2Q[/YT]

Don't like this music cut at all... doesn't match the graphics. the regular music is much classier and more New York-style.

Notice, though, the background video of NYC appears to be new.

Yes, the video is new. It was shot all in conjunction with the new package... goes in hand with the #1 in NY promos that rolled out earlier...

The process will be a slow change-over... the pieces are still coming together...

So far, just the 6PM change, but the changes are coming, just slowly....

It has been the "ABC O&O Collection" for a long time now.. It's pretty much a combination of both the Eyewitness News (now ABC News) and NewsSeries 2000 Plus (now Stimulus) packages.

No, it doesn't mean that only ABC stations can commission its use. It only means that in the few markets that have an ABC O&O station (not an affiliate, but an actual O&O station), the ABC station automatically has the right to the package since ABC has a blanket for the collection for its O&O stations. However, Gari is pushing it as its premier ABC package so it's more likely that mainly ABC stations will use it.

It has been the "ABC O&O Collection" for a long time now.. It's pretty much a combination of both the Eyewitness News (now ABC News) and NewsSeries 2000 Plus (now Stimulus) packages.

No, it doesn't mean that only ABC stations can commission its use. It only means that in the few markets that have an ABC O&O station (not an affiliate, but an actual O&O station), the ABC station automatically has the right to the package since ABC has a blanket for the collection for its O&O stations. However, Gari is pushing it as its premier ABC package so it's more likely that mainly ABC stations will use it.

Ah ok. Yeah one person made a comment on the YouTube video that I posted stating that this theme is actually a cut from the New Generation 3 of the ABC O&O Collection... Can anyone clarify this? The cut does sound very familiar when listening to it over again.

Ah ok. Yeah one person made a comment on the YouTube video that I posted stating that this theme is actually a cut from the New Generation 3 of the ABC O&O Collection... Can anyone clarify this? The cut does sound very familiar when listening to it over again.

WXYZ's old open before the Scripps graphics:

Those both use the same instrumentation but have different arrangements...

WABC's new music sounds almost exactly like the "NewsSeries 2000 Plus (Stimulus) New Generation" crap that WLS rejected.. The more I think of it, WABC might as well have just gone with WLS's rejected music. The musical signature/logo of NS2000+ fits WABC better than the current signature/logo in their new music.

WABC's new music sounds almost exactly like the "NewsSeries 2000 Plus (Stimulus) New Generation" crap that WLS rejected.. The more I think of it, WABC might as well have just gone with WLS's rejected music. The musical signature/logo of NS2000+ fits WABC better than the current signature/logo in their new music.

It should sound very much like the NS2000+NG that was proposed to WLS.... many parts of the new WABC package are from that... if you have access to watch WABC, several of the new "Number 1" promos have that signature.

You could consider the new WABC package a "hybrid" of NS2000, NS2000+, and EWN.

It should sound very much like the NS2000+NG that was proposed to WLS.... many parts of the new WABC package are from that... if you have access to watch WABC, several of the new "Number 1" promos have that signature.

You could consider the new WABC package a "hybrid" of NS2000, NS2000+, and EWN.

Whatever package it's from... it's awful and sounds cheap and small market. WABC needs to stay away from this New Generation ultra-synthesizer sounding music... does not fit them at all.

Archived