WABC begins roll-out of new music

nynewsguy

Close.... Monday, December 19, 1994 was the date the new music, open and graphics premiered on WABC.

So for openings like this one (this was one from the old ABC7 fan page from GeoCities that I gave the Internet Archive link to):

So that was from December 1994 as well? When I first saw it when GeoCities was still around, the person who uploaded that clip on the page put that it came from 1994.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever package it's from... it's awful and sounds cheap and small market. WABC needs to stay away from this New Generation ultra-synthesizer sounding music... does not fit them at all.

Hmm, well I personally don't think It's that bad, plus it's only one open we have yet to see the entire package. The current package is also completely synthesizer based as well. It's 2010 they need a refreshing change and I think this is a step in the right direction. The current music although very nice, is a bit dated now especially that bumper that they use so consistently.. I'm hoping they'll have different cuts for each of the broadcasts and different going to break cuts or bumpers for each story like all the other stations. It's funny because I remember in the old LNMD days when TVNewsTalk was the Local Media Discussion in the late 90s we all disliked the current theme. It'll take time to adjust to it. And that open is obviously a very truncated version as there is no voiceover yet. I'm sure the full open will sound nicer and much better. I like this package because it is unique and different, much like this package was back in 1999. My guess is that the voiceovers with Charlie Van Dyke are what WABC is awaiting before they debut the entire package on Eyewitness News.

It should sound very much like the NS2000+NG that was proposed to WLS.... many parts of the new WABC package are from that... if you have access to watch WABC, several of the new "Number 1" promos have that signature.

You could consider the new WABC package a "hybrid" of NS2000, NS2000+, and EWN.

I found one of the #1 promos on YouTube:

After getting a better listen to the package itself, I can say that WABC is pretty much using WLS's rejected package. Gari may have just added a few additional cuts for WABC. Some of the other WLS demo videos I viewed that weren't on Gari's site but WLS had have the EWN sig/logo that's in WABC's new open. I'm not a big fan on a station using a mixture of signatures/logos.. I think a station should just pick one for their station newscast to be identified with. None of this musical clutter on newscasts.

We'll pretty much be hearing all the EWN, NS2000+, and NS2000 signatures/logos pretty much mashed together on Gari's go forward updates since it's all just one package now. I'm guessing WLS will be using their current music (most of the same cuts they've used since 1992) for a long time to come because this was already the second major update they've rejected from Gari and aren't really happy with Gari's work these days. I don't blame them. The new music doesn't have that "timeless" sound to it like the 1992 package..

The new music doesn't have that "timeless" sound to it like the 1992 package..

And thats the main issue that I was trying to point out in the previous post. The current package that WABC is using, sounds dated, because it wasn't composed in a way that would promote longevity, unlike the WLS original 1992 package which has a distinct sound to it making it the perfect package through the future...

I don't like the new theme. It's the update for KGO in San Francisco/WEWS CLEVELAND/WTVG rejoin/KTNV pre HD. It's great for them. Not for New York. I miss the signature. Channel 7 maybe better off with KTRK theme with the WABC signature. Now Houston the best cut EWN , follow by KGTV 11 PM cut/WFTV/WEWS variation of the KTRK EWN cut follow by KTNV HD cut in Las Vegas.

Channel 7 could done better. Too bad.

First WNBC new theme sucks now WABC. Please WCBS choose your theme wisely.

Whatever package it's from... it's awful and sounds cheap and small market. WABC needs to stay away from this New Generation ultra-synthesizer sounding music... does not fit them at all.

I had commented similarly about the music WABC was using during the intros for the 08 election segments sounding like a synthesizer.

Well, they still have yet to truly debut the new theme with the voiceovers, they only have a small change for the 6PM open. Which really doesn't say much.. Its still technically the old package that they are using.

Its been several weeks now since they've been using that little cut of a theme for the 6PM open. As nynewsguy pointed out, perhaps its an extremely slow change, because they essentially have to pick out new cuts for each of their little segments and stingers and etc.. And that could take weeks. Perhaps by the May Sweeps, they'll be done, since this sweeps period is nearing its end...

Now my mine issue is and kinda weird is, why they did this only for the 6PM weekday open and not for all of the other broadcasts? Although, they are probably awaiting voiceovers from Charlie Van Dyke or something, why not just change everything all at once. I think its kinda sloppy to do things like that...

Well, they still have yet to truly

Now my mine issue is and kinda weird is, why they did this only for the 6PM weekday open and not for all of the other broadcasts? Although, they are probably awaiting voiceovers from Charlie Van Dyke or something, why not just change everything all at once. I think its kinda sloppy to do things like that...

They did it for 6pm only because they want to get straight to the newscast and not lose viewers between the 5 and 6. That's why they dropped the 45-sec break, talent intro and re-arranged the final 5p segment so Bill & Liz could be seated at the desk and ready to start right away.

They also removed the talent open for the 5PM broadcast, its a very truncated version of the older theme with an announcer.. The background video is changed too.

This one I personally do not like at all because the open is so abrupt, and if you have the volume all the way high it can actually be a bit scary:

[yt]zSby574yTwE[/yt]

Here is an old open from 2001 (3 Months Before 9/11 BTW) with a slightly longer cut:

[yt]xC0lcF8U57E[/yt]

Notice how they also no longer mention that they are the "News Leader"...

They also removed the talent open for the 5PM broadcast, its a very truncated version of the older theme with an announcer.. The background video is changed too.

This one I personally do not like at all because the open is so abrupt, and if you have the volume all the way high it can actually be a bit scary:

[yt]zSby574yTwE[/yt]

Here is an old open from 2001 (3 Months Before 9/11 BTW) with a slightly longer cut:

[yt]xC0lcF8U57E[/yt]

Notice how they also no longer mention that they are the "News Leader"...

I like the new 5pm open MUCH better than the 6pm one. (It actually sounds like the EWN Brief open). That has the New York-sounding EWN feel to it; not the cheap New Generation sound...

By the way, they still say "The News Leader" on new promos that were just released for Eyewitness News. They are similar to the new #1 in New York promos except they say "Ch. 7 Eyewitness News - The tri-state area's News Leader"

With these quick opens, though, it seems like there's no room to say anything but the newscast title.

With these quick opens, though, it seems like there's no room to say anything but the newscast title.

i.e. "Now, Eyewitness News" as they did in the past?

Personally, I'm glad they're doing what KABC's still doing in terms of their Eyewitness News broadcasts by specifying them, i.e. "EWN at 6" or "EWN at 11".

Normal open with talent at 11 tonight.

That 2001 open will always my favorite version of series 4, with Mike Lewis' "This is the news leader..." Straight, to the point.

Or "This is the Tri-State Area's news leader" from Series 1 (my favorite cuts) with Bill Rice and the other voiceover (I don't think I know his name).

Yeah, Mike Lewis was pretty cool, Charlie van Dyke is good too, both very good voices for WABC. They stilll use Mike Lewis' voice occasionally for their promos and all the time for the announcing of the station's schedule, after the Morning, Noon, and 5PM broadcasts...

Yeah, Mike Lewis was pretty cool, Charlie van Dyke is good too, both very good voices for WABC. They stilll use Mike Lewis' voice occasionally for their promos and all the time for the announcing of the station's schedule, after the Morning, Noon, and 5PM broadcasts...

OK, so who was that other voiceover who did the 5PM, 6PM, and 11PM newscasts during the NewsSeries2000 era as well as the EWN Series I era?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some more videos of the Station ID's in case some of you guys haven't seen them. They were posted by NYNewsWatch, anyway these videos are pretty nice.

[YT]szncRPhMXI8[/YT]

- At 0:19, that sounds very much like a proposed WLS cut, that they rejected as it is compleletly News Music 2000+ New Generation, Stimulus or whatever its now called.

- The cuts used at 0:24 - 0:34, I think, would sound like a nice cut to use for the newscasts opens, it sounds like something we could here in New York, and its sounds more natural than the other synthesized ones and the current one they use for the 6PM newscasts..

I like that 5pm open, but not the 6pm. I like those idents towards the end of the video which use the Series 4 signature, but not the others. They shouldn't mix signatures. Of course, I'm not sure if they really needed to change anything-- the original Eyewitness News package was pretty timeless.

By the way, wasn't WABC supposed to get a new set? I heard that Regis & Kelly were moving into the former Tony Danza studio, leaving more space for WABC. Of course, that was a few years ago when I heard that, so I wanted to know if there are any developments on the set front.

Archived