WABC-TV to begin mornings at 4:30AM

nynewsguy

Interesting move, I guess it works since a lot of people are waking up earlier now. Most stations if not all of them in the LA area, the second largest market have been doing this for well over a year now.

Interesting move, I guess it works since a lot of people are waking up earlier now. Most stations if not all of them in the LA area, the second largest market have been doing this for well over a year now.

All the Chicago stations are doing it now too.. Actually, WBBM is the only station in Chicago that hasn't started yet but they're going to start broadcasting at 4:30AM on August 30 when the new morning show debuts.

This is something that I mainly see larger cities doing. I don't think smaller markets will join this trend so much. The focus in big market news now is people in the suburbs. The majority of the news viewers in large markets now are in the suburbs (both direct and far suburbs) so stations are now tailoring to the needs of suburbanites (like myself). People who live out in the suburbs get up extremely early if they work in the city. The demand for an earlier newscast for people that are out the door by 5AM has gone up greatly in the past few years.

I just think it's funny that only 5, 6 to 10 years ago, many stations ND's and GM's still laughed at the idea of starting the news at 4:30AM. Now, some of those same people are hurrying to jump on the bandwagon. lol..

I heard WABC is also expanding its Saturday morning newscast to the 9-10 am hour.

I'd be interested to know how they'd work that. ABC's Saturday Morning kids lineup is losing an hour (Power Rangers was sold back to Haim Saban and is moving to Nick), but the three hours that remain have to be run due to E/I regulations. If WABC is indeed thinking of expanding its news an additional hour, it would mean that one hour would end up in the noon hour, which is routinely pre-empted for college football.

I'm not saying it'd be impossible, but it would bring up some interesting scenarios.

I'd be interested to know how they'd work that. ABC's Saturday Morning kids lineup is losing an hour (Power Rangers was sold back to Haim Saban and is moving to Nick), but the three hours that remain have to be run due to E/I regulations. If WABC is indeed thinking of expanding its news an additional hour, it would mean that one hour would end up in the noon hour, which is routinely pre-empted for college football.

I'm not saying it'd be impossible, but it would bring up some interesting scenarios.

WLS is also expanding its Saturday morning from just 6am to another hour at 8, they are getting rid of Power Rangers to accomodate.

They would probaly do what WCBS does when there is sports and put a cartoon during the 9:00 slot instead of news

I think its about time they did a 9-10AM hour on Saturdays, because people simply don't wake up as early, actually I question the efficiency and viewership of a 6AM broadcast especially on a Saturday as the majority of the working class people are usually asleep on during these hours. It may sound a bit selfish for the minute amount of people that do wake up in the wee morning hours on a Saturday especially those who work in the healthcare industry, but the majority of the labor force simply doesn't. I believe the hours between 8AM - 10AM is a much more logical time frame for a Saturday / Sunday Morning local broadcast or any morning news broadcast during the weekends. I even question if kids wake up this early to watch cartoons, lol. Usually kids are waking up on average at 10AM on weekends so the 9AM seems more logical to place the news in.

Phil Lipof tweeted this yesterday:

Back to work tomorrow. It's been nice to have some time off with my family... but I am also glad to get back into it. Looking forward to hitting the streets of the beautiful Garden state! Hey... btw... we are expanding our Saturday morning show.. next weekend. Michelle, Jeff and I will be on from 6-8 and 9-10 both Saturday and Sunday! For those of you who don't get up that early. See you on TV.

All the Chicago stations are doing it now too.. Actually, WBBM is the only station in Chicago that hasn't started yet but they're going to start broadcasting at 4:30AM on August 30 when the new morning show debuts.

This is something that I mainly see larger cities doing. I don't think smaller markets will join this trend so much. The focus in big market news now is people in the suburbs. The majority of the news viewers in large markets now are in the suburbs (both direct and far suburbs) so stations are now tailoring to the needs of suburbanites (like myself). People who live out in the suburbs get up extremely early if they work in the city. The demand for an earlier newscast for people that are out the door by 5AM has gone up greatly in the past few years.

I just think it's funny that only 5, 6 to 10 years ago, many stations ND's and GM's still laughed at the idea of starting the news at 4:30AM. Now, some of those same people are hurrying to jump on the bandwagon. lol..

Morning newscast in Houston all started at 4:30 AM, almost a year ago. Its a very competitive hour I assume, being that the ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX stations here announced their expanded hours within 2 weeks of each other. The local Fox station here in Houston took it a step further and actually begins at 4AM.

Will they ever bring back studio interviews to the weekend am newscasts?

WCBS and WNBC have studio segments with guests on every weekend AM newscast.

And what about weather remotes? Jeff Smith used to do one every weekend - now he only goes out of the studio when the station is sponsoring an event like a run in Central Park or a clinic.

So what happens to the network news programs like "America This Morning" and "CBS News This Morning"? Do they get preempted or are they simply starting at 4AM now?

They start at 4AM now. The networks require the showing of those a must. The networks even adjusted the taping times of those to fit stations' new earlier local news schedules. However, CBS's Up To The Minute and ABC's World News Now can still be preempted as the individual station pleases.

Archived