Eyewitness News goes HD?

IceManNYR

Yes, WABC's ratings are #1....

But, WNBC and WCBS actually fluctuate back & forth sometimes for 5/6pm... (2nd/3rd place). WNBC is no longer a clear-cut second. Their news department has gone to hell... if it weren't for Chuck & Sue, chances are that WNBC would be pulling much lower #'s then WCBS.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WCBS - Down the sewer and the rats are feeding

FALSE. the news at 11 is experiencing their highest ratings in key demos in a decade according to huff.

now that they are sans dianne doctor, they have real news content, which is making up for their terrible graphics and teams.

BTW- NBC4 needs to change their promos from: "The only New York station bring the news in High-Definition" to "The first New York station to bring the news in High Definition"

Or maybe, First in HD in New York (kinda like Gannett's HD campaign, they really like using "First in HD" alot)

BTW- NBC4 needs to change their promos from: "The only New York station bring the news in High-Definition" to "The first New York station to bring the news in High Definition"

So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Well almost. They changed the voiceover to now say: "The first station to bring the news in High-Definition". Thats not really true. This would be true: "The first New York station to bring the news in High Definition".

So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Well almost. They changed the voiceover to now say: "The first station to bring the news in High-Definition". Thats not really true. This would be true: "The first New York station to bring the news in High Definition".

??? Whats the Difference?

Never Mind, lol. I see it now. New York and the First Station. Well I guess when they exclude the "New York", it is assumed that we New Yorkers know that it is the first station in our area to broadcast newscasts fully in HD, but it does make sense to say "New York's First HD Station" rather than saying the "First HD Station". Makes it seem like they were the first ever to broadcast in HD. So they should correct that for the February Sweeps. And Despite that Newschannel 4 is in Full-HD (I could be wrong), WABC offers more HD programming than any other station but in turn Eyewitness News which is only HD in the sets and studios but not all Live Shots and etc... are in HD.

-Vlad

??? Whats the Difference?

-Vlad

KOMO-TV in Seattle was the real "First station to bring the news in High Definition", but WNBC-TV was the first station in NEW YORK to do HD newscasts

They defiantly should begin to change it to "The First New York Station to bring the news in High Definition.", because WABC is driving up the HD lane.

So Eyewitness News is in HD (from what I know according to you guys and the Indent saying that Eyewitness News is now in HD) just not in full HD and not enough to fully promote it?

The studio shots are in High Def. Steve, Lori and Bill talked and joked about this briefly on Monday's morning news.

I actually remember this and I actually left the T.V. on in my room on channel 7 and I woke up as they said that and I was kind of confused because I was half asleep and half awake and I thought they said something like that Thursday, Eyewitness News was going HD.

I'm glad to know there is progress going on and the unvailing will begin late January 2007. I'm very excited.

-Glad TO Be Back, I had some confusion due to board being closed for sometime.

Morningnewsfan

Will Eyewitness News now get a new look? It looks quite ghastly right now!

Their new look is slated to debut in February 2007. I think there may be some minor tweaks to the set as well, nothing to noticeable though since nynewsguy mentioned that there would be a new set unveiled in Fall 2007.

-Vlad

When Eyewitness News go HD, will live shots be in HD too? or just studio shots. Are all WNBC shots in HD? I think WABC has two chopters right? I know at least one is in HD, is the other one? WNYW, WABC, and I assume WNBC have HD chopters, what about the other networks?

Yes WABC has 2 choppers and I know that WABC has one chopper thats HD but the other one I believe is not.

WNYW, WABC, WNBC as well as WCBS all have HD choppers. Air11 on WPIX is not in HD and WWOR does not have a chopper so they get all there chopper shots from WNYW, their sister station.

Will Eyewitness News now get a new look? It looks quite ghastly right now!

Their new look is slated to debut in February 2007. I think there may be some minor tweaks to the set as well, nothing to noticeable though since nynewsguy mentioned that there would be a new set unveiled in Fall 2007.

-Vlad

The set has seen some minor tweaks. The screen area to the right of the desk looks a lot nicer now with silver colors mixed in with the previous only blue one.

Yes WABC has 2 choppers and I know that WABC has one chopper thats HD but the other one I believe is not.

WNYW, WABC, WNBC as well as WCBS all have HD choppers. Air11 on WPIX is not in HD and WWOR does not have a chopper so they get all there chopper shots from WNYW, their sister station.

Why so many news oulets? Are the "minor" stations newscasts really that necessary?

(Minor meaning stations other than NBC, ABC, CBS, & FOX)

Why so many news oulets? Are the "minor" stations newscasts really that necessary?

If the minor stations, as you call them (and WWOR & WPIX are in no way minor), can make money off of their newscasts, why not have a go at it.

New York is definitely big enough to have more than four news stations.

If the minor stations, as you call them (and WWOR & WPIX are in no way minor), can make money off of their newscasts, why not have a go at it.

New York is definitely big enough to have more than four news stations.

If they make money, sure, why not. As a viewer, I'd rather see good programming. Use that to keep me away from the competition, but nevertheless, if it works fine.

I call them minor because in majority of other markets, MyTV, CW, & "i" (formarly PAX) do not have their own newscasts and just show programming for the most part.

When Eyewitness News go HD, will live shots be in HD too? or just studio shots. Are all WNBC shots in HD? I think WABC has two chopters right? I know at least one is in HD, is the other one? WNYW, WABC, and I assume WNBC have HD chopters, what about the other networks?

The goal always is to get everything in HD, but that is not always possible. WNBC features their set and studio in HD as well as most of their street cameras and live shots, etc. But there are circumstances when WNBC would resort to SD when this occurs, HD viewers see wings on both sides of the shot, indicating SD Video, as the video is not in 16:9 Aspect Ratio.

WABC has 2 "NewsCopter 7s", one of which belongs to Metro Traffic, the other belongs to WABC. The latter is in HD. But at times, when equipment fails, they show live shots from both choppers in SD (Standard Definition), but the majority of the time, shots from NewsCopter 7 (The One Owned by WABC), is in HD.

When WABC emphasizes that Eyewitness News in HD in February, hopefully, their on street cameras, and most of their outdoor cameras will be in HD.

WCBS, WNYW, WNBC, WPIX all have HD Choppers. Not sure about WWOR.

-Vlad

The goal always is to get everything in HD, but that is not always possible. WNBC features their set and studio in HD as well as most of their street cameras and live shots, etc. But there are circumstances when WNBC would resort to SD when this occurs, HD viewers see wings on both sides of the shot, indicating SD Video, as the video is not in 16:9 Aspect Ratio.

WABC has 2 "NewsCopter 7s", one of which belongs to Metro Traffic, the other belongs to WABC. The latter is in HD. But at times, when equipment fails, they show live shots from both choppers in SD (Standard Definition), but the majority of the time, shots from NewsCopter 7 (The One Owned by WABC), is in HD.

When WABC emphasizes that Eyewitness News in HD in February, hopefully, their on street cameras, and most of their outdoor cameras will be in HD.

-Vlad

WWOR uses Sky Fox HD so we can kinda say their chopper is HD... :-\

KOMO-TV in Seattle was the real "First station to bring the news in High Definition", but WNBC-TV was the first station in NEW YORK to do HD newscasts

Actually this is wrong too. WRAL in Raleigh was the first (2001) to produce news in HD. I'll also add that they're still the ONLY station that produces every single part of their newscast in HD... (Studio cameras, chopper, ground footage, street photographers, etc.)

I laugh sometimes when these stations say they're "HD", when in reality they only have two HD studio cameras-- so 90% of the footage that you see is still SD.

Unless every photographer-- every single piece of video you shoot, produce, edit, etc. is shot with HD cameras, you're really not an HD station. In my opinion anyway...

Actually this is wrong too. WRAL in Raleigh was the first (2001) to produce news in HD. I'll also add that they're still the ONLY station that produces every single part of their newscast in HD... (Studio cameras, chopper, ground footage, street photographers, etc.)

HA HA HA...

In 1994, KOMO applied for the first test license for broadcasting new high-definition signals. KOMO began broadcasting HDTV in 1997, and on May 18th, 1999, KOMO became the first TV station in America to broadcast its daily newscasts in HDTV.

WRAL got beat by 2 YEARS!

Well you really can't have 100 percent hd quite yet. Let's say they take a clip off CNN. Is it their fault that it's not in HD? Source Material is most likeyley going to be in 4:3, and the 2 hd stations in new york are starting to roll out Hd cameras. In a world where there are only a few HD stations, none of them are going to be 100 percent hd as you impiled, so in reality, WRAL doesn't have everything in hd. Get off your high horse.

You're right... I meant everything that's within a station's control. National packages are still SD... Stuff off pathfire as well. Also, I don't believe that microwave Live shot technology can do a true HD feed... 16:9 for sure, but true HD? (an engineer might want to chime in here)

As for KOMO... I wasn't aware...

Finally, I don't even have a saddle...

-Vlad

WWOR uses Sky Fox HD so we can kinda say their chopper is HD... :-\

That is if WWOR rebroadcasts the pictures of Sky Fox HD in HD. Do they?

You're right... I meant everything that's within a station's control. National packages are still SD... Stuff off pathfire as well. Also, I don't believe that microwave Live shot technology can do a true HD feed... 16:9 for sure, but true HD? (an engineer might want to chime in here)

I'm not an engineer, but I do know the frequencies used by ENG trucks do not have enough bandwidth to carry an HD signal just yet. I know at KTVU, the live trucks can only transmit a 4:3 signal, so equipment in the live trucks squeeze the 16:9 shots into 4:3, and then it's stretched back out again at the station and sent onward.

Archived