Blizzard Thread

wabceyewitness

WABC will begin wall to wall coverage at 4pm. Before that, they will break in around 2:45pm to carry Mayor Bloomberg's news conference. WPIX has Jim Watkins and Mr. G doing some cut-ins.

With NFL on CBS and NBC, it will be tough for WCBS and WNBC to cut in much.

I'm guessing the big story, besides the snow accumulation, will be what highways are open/closed and what airlines are doing with today and tomorrow being big travel days.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think WNBC will be able to cut-in more as they have canceled the Sunday Night game and moved it to Tuesday Night due to the weather in Philly

Sorry, I meant WNYW and FOX football. But, yes, with Sunday Night Football postponed, WNBC may be able to offer more coverage tonight.

FiOS1 News is covering the storm with Richard French anchoring.

On WABC last night Lee mentioned that the full weather team would be in today.

FOX5 had Shay Ryan and Craig Allen on at 10pm.

Steve McLaughlin was subbing on WPIX Saturday.

UPDATE: they steamed live WNBC coverage of Mayor Bloomberg's conference for a minute on the Weather Channel, but they're back to regular stuff now. However, I've noticed that Mayor Bloomberg not only has some emergency deployments of DOT crews to deal with, but also what sounds like a major head cold on top of an equally major storm!

Yep its streamable online. So far the storm is in full swing. This storm is reminiscent of the one that occured back in February 2005. Its similar because like the 2005 storm, this storm also features or at least is forecasted to develop a "hurricane-like" eye. Very rare for a storm like this. Another thing in the forecast probably towards the later hours of the evening is the rare phenomenon known as "Thundersnow". So this is gonna be a spectacular storm. It is pretty interesting to note that that Carolina Leid was anchoring this morning with Phil Lipof and now they are both out in the field reporting.

Coverage on WCBS began at 5PM. Rob Morrison and Kristine Johnson are anchoring. Over at WNBC, Janice Huff broke in a few minutes ago for a brief update. They really should be doing continuous coverage of this blizzard instead of just a crawl. I could see if they were airing a football game, but right now I think storm coverage is a little bit more important than showing ice skating. I think WABC has been the best. Bill Ritter and Sandra Bookman have been doing an awesome job since 3PM with reporters all over the area and the entire weather crew in the building.

As for this storm, this is quite something. To be under a Blizzard Warning until tomorrow night is pretty impressive!

The coverage on FiOS1 is not live since their studio serves NJ and Long Island with separate news casts..

They pre tape their news casts then broadcast them.

Weather and Traffic reports might be live but the studio segments are taped.

Sometimes they do broadcast live.

This is the one advantage News 12 has is live newscasts and more live reports.

To their credit FiOS 1 does have live reports in the newscasts they call "Mobile 1 Cast" which I believe is being done via internet streaming with decent video quality.

WCBS has Dave Carlin broadcasting live from an SUV. Due to all the buildings the video does break up sometimes.

WABC has had the best coverage.. Bill Evans was doing cut-in's all afternoon..then Bill Ritter and Sandra Bookman came in at 3..Note: Bill Evans interrupted his vacation to go in and cover the storm.And News12 Hudson Valley has been live all night..

WABC has had the best coverage.. Bill Evans was doing cut-in's all afternoon..then Bill Ritter and Sandra Bookman came in at 3..Note: Bill Evans interrupted his vacation to go in and cover the storm.

And News12 Hudson Valley has been live all night

Yep its streamable online. So far the storm is in full swing. This storm is reminiscent of the one that occured back in February 2005. Its similar because like the 2005 storm, this storm also features or at least is forecasted to develop a "hurricane-like" eye. Very rare for a storm like this. Another thing in the forecast probably towards the later hours of the evening is the rare phenomenon known as "Thundersnow". So this is gonna be a spectacular storm. It is pretty interesting to note that that Carolina Leid was anchoring this morning with Phil Lipof and now they are both out in the field reporting.

I think they are very short handed on staff because they need as many reporters as possible and alot of people are on vacation.. Bill Ritter said Phil was there all day and will be there all night.

Andy Field is doing his annual holiday freelance reporting for WABC, he is out covering the storm.

WNBC resumed coverage of the storm at 8:30pm with NBC airing reruns since the Sunday Night Football game was moved to Tuesday.

FiOS1 News is airing their taped 30 minuet newscasts. I wish they would broadcast live.

At 9pm WNBC has moved coverage to NY NonStop.

WPIX came on and is using the old 10pm news desk set.

At 10pm we have storm coverage on FOX5 and PIX11.

FiOS1 News NJ is airing the same taped newscast that has been airing since around 8pm. Though I think the weather segments are new It's kind of embarrassing

WNBC ended coverage on New York NonStop to prep for the 11pm newscast.

Archived