10pm news returning to WWOR

Marvin Dillweed

WWOR will move it's 11pm newscast to 10pm and rebrand it "The 10 O'Clock News".

The ironic thing about that is that sister station WNYW (FOX 5) used "The 10 O'Clock News" for 35 years (1967-2002) until they adopted the red, white and black look.

So, why would WWOR make a suicidal move like running a newscast against 2, 4, & 7 in the first place? That had to have been a bloodbath for the past couple of years.

Because WWOR's parent company, News Corp./FOX Television Stations, wanted less competition at 10 p.m. for WNYW's "FOX 5 News at Ten".

So, why would WWOR make a suicidal move like running a newscast against 2, 4, & 7 in the first place? That had to have been a bloodbath for the past couple of years.

Clearly a suicidal move that probably cost them more than they bargained for. Hence why they are returning to the 10PM slot. Honestly though that station is among the least watched stations in the area, so I don't know why they even have a newscast there are many "My" network stations that do not have newscasts but then again we all wonder why WLNY TV10/55 has a newscast as well.. They too are not in HD. So FOX 5 at this point now needs a sports anchor for the 10PM as they Russ Salsberg will be occupied for the 10PM on My9.

Clearly a suicidal move that probably cost them more than they bargained for. Hence why they are returning to the 10PM slot. Honestly though that station is among the least watched stations in the area, so I don't know why they even have a newscast there are many "My" network stations that do not have newscasts but then again we all wonder why WLNY TV10/55 has a newscast as well.. They too are not in HD. So FOX 5 at this point now needs a sports anchor for the 10PM as they Russ Salsberg will be occupied for the 10PM on My9.

Before MY 9 moved the news to 11, Russ handled both shows at the same time. Russ did the sports live at 10:45 on FOX 5 (from the MY 9 newsroom) and at 10:53 on MY 9 (from the MY 9 set).

Russ work weeknights at 6, 10, & 11 (on MY 9), Duke Castiglione works Sunday nights and Good Day New York. Matt Alderez does the Saturday sportcasts.

WWOR must have been getting hash marks for its 11pm newscast, going up against the Big Three local newscasts, which I believe explains the move back to 10pm.

StudioTech is absolutely right when he says it is about saving the station's license--which I still think should be yanked.

On the other hand, this move could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe WPIX will FINALLY get its act together and put on a 10pm newscast people will actually watch.

And here's another thought: Why don't WNYW and WWOR do what KDVR and KWGN in Denver (and KTVI and KPLR in St. Louis) do? That is, have WWOR run their nightly news at 7pm, before MyNetworkTV programming. That way, the newscast can build its own audience, and it would not have to compete with WNYW at 10pm.

Except, Harry Martin anchors the 6 p.m. newscast on WNYW. If they moved the WWOR newscast to 7, Brenda will have to anchor cause I doubt Harry can get to NJ in 30 minutes.

Guest NewsHound

Except, Harry Martin anchors the 6 p.m. newscast on WNYW. If they moved the WWOR newscast to 7, Brenda will have to anchor cause I doubt Harry can get to NJ in 30 minutes.

It's all about changing up the talent then, either Harry will be on WNYW or WWOR but not both. This wouldn't happen though.

Moving the news back to 10pm doesn't mean a single thing if the content that airs during the newscast which got them in trouble with the FCC remains after June 27th.

I agree and they don't want to get in trouble at all with the FCC over this.

Before MY 9 moved the news to 11, Russ handled both shows at the same time. Russ did the sports live at 10:45 on FOX 5 (from the MY 9 newsroom) and at 10:53 on MY 9 (from the MY 9 set).

Russ work weeknights at 6, 10, & 11 (on MY 9), Duke Castiglione works Sunday nights and Good Day New York. Matt Alverez does the Saturday sportcasts.

Ryan Asselta came to FOX5 on May 4th from FOX29 in Philly to do the weekend sportscasts.

Does this mean Matt Alverez is gone? Is Adam Zucker still with FOX5?

Christina Park returned from maternity leave this weekend.

I notice on weekends sometimes Craig Allen does the forecast and most times it's Shay Ryan.

Is Craig full time with FOX5 on weekends?

• 1 month later...

The newscast is still SD 4:3 and the graphics package seems to be the same with some small adjusting.

Missed the start of the newscast but for the first segment they seem to be copying WPIX 11 in 11 segment ending with a weather preview.

There's an annoying timer on the bottom right counting up.

The second segment after the break was a very long and for me boring "Take It On" taped discussion segment,

the topic was the worst political sex scandals.

How about giving us more NJ News then instead of this segment?

In the third segment weather and sports are only being allowed 1 minuet each in a segment called the 2 minuet drill.

For me it's way to fast and rushed.

The last segment is the results of a Facebook poll related to the Take It On segment with some facebook comments.

Tonight the newscast ended at 10:27pm.

My overall reaction is it's a 30min verson of WPIX except that they are using a studio.

For those out of the NYC market the newscast is being streamed live.

http://www.my9tv.com/subindex/my9_news/live_video

I just saw bits and pieces of the newscast. It's the same old garbage, with a tweaked graphics package. Makes me wonder if FOX is very serious about holding on to the WWOR license. Hell, they're STILL not in HD, which also makes me wonder if they are serious about keeping news on Channel 9.

I just saw bits and pieces of the newscast. It's the same old garbage, with a tweaked graphics package. Makes me wonder if FOX is very serious about holding on to the WWOR license. Hell, they're STILL not in HD, which also makes me wonder if they are serious about keeping news on Channel 9.

Newscorp has to keep news on Ch. 9 if they want to keep the license. That's the bottom line. And I don't see them spending the money to upgrade to HD for only 2.5 hours of news a week.

Newscorp has to keep news on Ch. 9 if they want to keep the license. That's the bottom line. And I don't see them spending the money to upgrade to HD for only 2.5 hours of news a week.

Which, given how the state paid WNET to get rid of NJN, is a weeee bit hypocritical. (Much like the state.)

Anyway, if they're calling it "THE Ten O'Clock News", that's an obvious cue from when WNYW was using that name for their 10pm news. They always emphasized that "THE".

Which, given how the state paid WNET to get rid of NJN, is a weeee bit hypocritical. (Much like the state.)

Anyway, if they're calling it "THE Ten O'Clock News", that's an obvious cue from when WNYW was using that name for their 10pm news. They always emphasized that "THE".

Not to be too off topic as well, but as we are sort of talking about the garden state, what did you guys thought about NJN? Its history, its closure, the government allowing WNET to takeover NJN (NJTV)? Heck, this comes from gov. christie saying that NJ should be out of the TV business yet WWOR is hanging by a thread. HulkieD, any further? I just found out about it yesterday by the way. Too sad. :(

Archived