Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A little from out west in the second half of the 90s...

KJEO (Fresno, CA) July 17, 1998 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237015270[/MEDIA]

KETV (Omaha) June 19, 1997 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237015609[/MEDIA]

WOWT (Omaha, NE) June 19, 1997 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237016583[/MEDIA]

KHGI - NTV (Kearney, NE) June 19, 1997 6:30am

[MEDIA=vimeo]237016018[/MEDIA]

KCNC (Denver) August 18, 1997 6:30pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237016321[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 2

That KJEO open might be one of the worst pieces of news open copy ever.

I didn't say they were all good... Just a "nice" variety from the past...

The KGMC C-43 jingle has a classic JAM sound to it, too...definitely came from a radio package.

Basically the station was run almost like a radio station that ran almost all syndicated fare. At the time, the 47News rebroadcast was probably the highlight of the broadcast day...

J

• Like 1

KJEO (Fresno, CA) July 17, 1998 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237015270[/MEDIA]

The jingle on the KGMC station ID was JAM's "The Spirit of New England" jingle package, one of my favorites. It likely dates back to 1995, when KGMC was Fresno's first WB affiliate, airing about 8-10 hours of barter shows programmed from KMPH, and brokered religious programming and infomercials during the rest of the day. By the time this video was recorded, KMPH had moved C43's entertainment shows and WB affiliation to KNSO 51 in Merced, where it remained until New Years Day 2001, when it swapped affiliations with Telemundo affiliate KMSG 59 in Sanger (which became KFRE, which it still is today as the market's CW affiliate). Judging by this video, I can assume that KJEO likely bought time on KGMC to air time-shifted rebroadcasts of its newscasts.

• Like 2

Parts from my 1998 trip around the US. First up: Toledo, OH:

WUPW (Toledo) August 25, 1998 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237298286[/MEDIA]

WTVG (Toledo) August 25, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237297866[/MEDIA]

WNWO (Toledo) August 25, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237300997[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 3

Just found more fun from Phoenix in May 1992, including a theme not in the SouthernMedia-NMSA for KPHO!

May 1992 - KTVK, with the "KTVK Can-Can" promo - look for the entire newscast soon.

[MEDIA=vimeo]237336304[/MEDIA]

May 1992 - KPHO 9pm Open/Close and KTSP 10pm Open/Close

[MEDIA=vimeo]237336656[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 2

WOW... Never saw that KPHO open before... Another Phoenix newscast open discovered! Now let's see what we're still hunting for:

KPNX:

- 1979-1980, according to the NMSA they were still using "Classical Gas" but the 1979 documentary uses "It's All Right Here"

- 1989-1990, "Real News" and first wave of TvbD era

KOOL/KTSP/KSAZ

- Early 1980s, after they changed their call letters, known as "TV 10 News"

- 1983, when they became "Newscenter 10"

- 1995-1996, the transitional "10 News" era before the Fox takeover

KTVK

- 1978-1980, "Count On Us" and KIII-style logo era

- 1982-1984, "The News Image" and current debut of the red circle 3 era

- 1984-1986, so far only an election update from their "Turn To" era has been seen

KPHO

- Late 1970s to early 1980s, using "Part of Your Life"

- 1994-1996, "Fresh News" era (including before CBS)

KNXV

- 1994, when they launched their newscast

- 1995-1998, first wave under ABC

In total we are currently hunting for 12 more Phoenix newscast gems.

• Like 3

I believe I have Fresh News for KPHO and KNXV early ABC, and possibly transitional KSAZ. I'm still digging. Unfortunately getting stuff off of tape is a real-time activity... (Though I usually start the playback/recording process and go do something else...) Plus I royally suck at labeling my tapes... And I have hundreds of tapes to go through...

I believe I have the full 12News Sunday 7pm Newscast from 5/3/92 - It's recording right now, and we'll see...

Jim

• Like 2

More KNAZ...

I do have the full 7pm 12News Sunday newscast - will have to wait until I have more storage on Vimeo (next week, as I've already nearly hit my limit of this week's content uploaded...).

KNAZ May 1992 Open & "KNAZ - The Place to Be" Promo...

[MEDIA=vimeo]237344183[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 1

Holy moly there's a lot to digest here. That KPHO open is a surprise. My date guess is 1991 to 1993?. The KPHO 9:30 news expanded to an hour in 1991, and I'd have to imagine the presentation refresh accompanied it. When it was replaced with Signature, channel 5 also got a new logo, the circle 5 that lasted just two years — at the latest, in April 1993. There are a lot of missing newspapers for the Republic in August-December 1992 on newspapers.com which hinders this search considerably. During the Signature era they really remained dead last. In the February 1993 sweeps, News 5 at 9 managed to place behind the Big 3 networks *and* Star Trek on KNXV! That's actually a *second* version of the Can-Can promo! Totally different people in the second half. The other one ended with kids. And that's a *third* (sequentially second) variant of the KTSP Pinnacle (Round the Clock News) open set. The first said "Channel 10" at the beginning. The third actually had the sunset 10 logo in that beginning piece. That KNAZ open is just...bad. Also @Ntropolis that close is Bellavia which KPHO had used as its close music for more than a decade at this point.

The KNAZ open would be slightly better if they'd done what I hoped to see and written the title as "News 2night."

Hmm...I may have to remedy it for them.

That was what they did in '86 with "News 2Nite". Go to 5:10:

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=480;id=tobacco_ltw27a00;width=640[/MEDIA]

———

Also worth posting: this look at KPHO's set in 1999:

Well, here's stuff from one rare market I've never seen before.

The oldest known WEYI footage!

An hour-long WJRT "Video Scrapbook" on their 30th anniversary in 1988 (the news stuff is toward the back)

WJRT used Hello in the mid-80s...and then a local radio station in Flint created a parody of the Hello image song!

Some kid for a public access show did a whole behind the scenes of WNEM circa 1990... (Note: 43 minutes!)

• Like 3

I do have the full 7pm 12News Sunday newscast - will have to wait until I have more storage on Vimeo (next week, as I've already nearly hit my limit of this week's content uploaded...)

Why are you even posting there to begin with? Why not just use YouTube? (As far as I know there isn't a limit on how much you can upload....)

• Like 1

More KNAZ...

I do have the full 7pm 12News Sunday newscast - will have to wait until I have more storage on Vimeo (next week, as I've already nearly hit my limit of this week's content uploaded...).

You could just put the full newscast on YouTube, as they'll let anybody upload anything. They don't even have that 10-minute limit anymore.

• Like 5