Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The theme is pretty terrible, but I want to see more of those awesome graphics. So much early '90s yellow-and-purple goodness.

There's also an image campaign to this. It's one of the larger packages we have little of.

The Oklahoman's TV columnist was not totally fine with it, though, saying "It was pretty, but unfortunately longer than most hymns on Easter morning."

• Like 2

I also found on the NMSA that they added a sampler of KFOR's "News Team 4" open. I wonder where that was found? Anything from KFOR from the early 90s is pure rare.

Actually, I submitted that sample a few weeks ago, but it was a lot longer when I emailed it to the NMSA's webmaster. The audio file included three cuts, two from the aforementioned sports and political promos that I culled from the respective YT clips (the only ones that were high quality) and excerpts from one of KFOR's "24 Hour News Source" updates and a 10:00 p.m. promo that were featured on a VHS that I found in my house a few years ago. The tape was recorded -- presumably by my mom -- in the summer of 1992, and included large portions of two "NBC Monday Night Movies" taped off of KFOR (the audio clips from that tape I had to record to WavePad using my earbuds, since I don't have a video capture card).

The high quality cuts were meant to be included in the sampler, as was the news update intro that the NMSA opted to use as a sample open, since the tape didn't have an actual newscast from that period on it. The same tape also includes some footage from KOCB during that time period.

I should note, though, that from what I saw on the tape, some elements of the "News Team 4" graphics package looked like a knockoff of KOCO's John Christopher Burns package of that same timeframe.

BTW, Finally... someone has a full KDFW newscast from the early Fox era! I've also seen a couple of clips already available on YouTube (one of which was included in a compilation of the station's news opens I uploaded a couple years ago), and IMO, their 1995-97 graphics package was pretty slick and probably the best package that KDFW ever had.

• Like 2

From the Twin Cities, an interesting 1980s promo for KSTP's Newstar SNG truck:

It reminded me of a WCVB promo of 1985, also promoting their Newstar 5 mobile unit, and even with the same slogan "No story is beyond your reach".

• Like 2

Of course, any discussion of SNG truck promos feels incomplete without a mention of "Beyond the Nut Tree" with Leslie Nielsen:

It's a great promo! I assume that Mr. Nielsen collected thousands of bucks for performing there:)

• Like 2

Also, those man-on-the-street interviews are absolutely painful!

Dana: Most People goin' out of business, do you know why they doin' it?

Reporter: You think Channel 4 is going out of business?

Dana: Uh-huh

Reporter: No, We're becoming FOX.

Dana: Oh y'all goin'..oh channel 11 is goin' out of business, huh?

Reporter: no,no

Here's the thing, man on the streets interviews are painfully funny. That said, I thought the WSVN affiliation switch interviews were cringy...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=TtrO2DNmZAw;t=40

that moment above it TOOK. THE. CAKE. The reporter showed great restraint from saying "NO YOU...." I'm Done.

• Like 2

Mark Curtis with a mustache!

If not for those two December '85 newscasts that already had We're Going Where You're Going as the close, this would have been so confusing...

Speaking of We're the Team, here's another one from KSTP — and no, that's not a typo!

And a few years earlier, KSTP had changed to ABC:

Also, this is not a newscast, but it's just as much of a gem.

• Like 2

From the Twin Cities, an interesting 1980s promo for KSTP's Newstar SNG truck:

It reminded me of a WCVB promo of 1985, also promoting their Newstar 5 mobile unit, and even with the same slogan "No story is beyond your reach".

NewStar was introduced by Hubbard Broadcasting for stations to promote their new SNG vehicles. In addition to Stanley's stations, I seem to recall the Hearst stations also signed up, as did H and C (KPRC, WTVF, WESH, KCCI) and others WJTV, WTVT, KWTV as well.....

• Like 3

Found two more goodies for y'all:

KOKH's NewsTouch25 in 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=nySUjMYbLSA;m=2;s=59

That has got to be one of the worst CG takes on Helvetica I've ever seen. Bad kerning, weird letter heights...the works. (And yet the weather summary is surprisingly sane.)

• Like 2