Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

And from the same channel, another holy grail found, clips of KFMB's This Day from June 18, 1986:

And a bonus, a clip from KFMB's original This Day back in 1964:

Close....but no cigar.

By June of 1986 'This Day' has been neutered. The dramatic lighting was already history.

You get props for finding the clip...but find us a "This day' from the first few weeks...because it was so bad I heard KFMB sent people home to home to destroy all copies both Betamax and VHS.

Close....but no cigar.

By June of 1986 'This Day' has been neutered. The dramatic lighting was already history.

You get props for finding the clip...but find us a "This day' from the first few weeks...because it was so bad I heard KFMB sent people home to home to destroy all copies both Betamax and VHS.

I'll ask my cousin who lives in El Cajon to find some home recorded VHS tapes of San Diego TV. Maybe he'll find a copy of This Day that KFMB didn't destroy. I really should find a way to transfer my VHS collection to digital files. I've got tons of rare mouthwatering clips from my nearly 10 years of VHS collecting.

• Like 5

I'll ask my cousin who lives in El Cajon to find some home recorded VHS tapes of San Diego TV. Maybe he'll find a copy of This Day that KFMB didn't destroy. I really should find a way to transfer my VHS collection to digital files. I've got tons of rare mouthwatering clips from my nearly 10 years of VHS collecting.

Fair enough...

After all...you HAVE gotten the closest to that holy grail tape...so far.

Run forth my little tape-hopper...

From France, Antenne 2's national evening news on today' s date 40 years ago:

I like how Antenne 2's opening sequence was always a bit different. A few days later, for example, the cameras followed the anchor as he made his way to the set from above:

• Like 1

The sunset of the Sunset 10 in September 1996. Several 10 News promos (with John B. Wells VOs) and Fox 10 IDs (with Chris Corley VOs):

And a KPHO "5 Investigates" promo:

A KTVK station ID from 1982 with the italic circle 3. The meatball was not yet in:

From France, Antenne 2's national evening news on today' s date 40 years ago:

I like how Antenne 2's opening sequence was always a bit different. A few days later, for example, the cameras followed the anchor as he made his way to the set from above:

French TV was always innovative. I like that!

Surprised this possibly didn’t get posted, but here’s a WHIO newscast from early 1990 (open begins 0:07). The WPXI voiceover they used isn’t doing the open (he did a few promos for Newscenter 7 — still trying to find out who he is but I’m sure he was a VO for all the Cox Stations).

Weekend Update:

WESH (Orlando) May 23, 1990 5:30pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]238500754[/MEDIA]

KXAN (Austin) January 31, 1990 10:00pm (Missing Open)

[MEDIA=vimeo]238500471[/MEDIA]

KPRC (Houston) July 2, 1992 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]238499490[/MEDIA]

KVUE (Austin) February 22, 1993 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]239244616[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

The KCST opens are cool, but that KGTV open (4:10) steals the show for me. News 88 pre-TVbD (the clips are all from September 1987), with graphics that clearly derive from

...I know we've seen the open set before, but a very cool mix there either way.
  • Like 1

The KCST "Eyewitness News" open is a real monkey wrench. That's *three* open sets for KCST with the same music.

The progression appears to be:

1. The squares opens in 1986:

3. The first open (with the marble slabs) above. The date on this is 9/3/87 (mention of a chemical spill on I-5)

In between this, KNSD jettisoned both Dennis Morgino and Laura Buxton and brought in new anchors, Marty Levin and Denise Yamada.

2. The second (Eyewitness News) open from Black Monday, 10/19/87 (did you catch the spelling error?)

4. The Leading Edge theme using graphics from the v2 and *returning* to the NewsCenter 39 name:

Wow, KCST must’ve had some trouble trying to figure out what they wanted to do with their newscasts at the time. Of course, this probably led to the change of call letters in 1988, which we don’t really have any footage from...

KCST's callsign could have been said to mean "Constantly Stuck in Third". Gillett bought Storer late in 1987. They got a new GM in March 1988. He set out to blow up NewsCenter 39, which was described in one piece I read as "matronly", and replace it with News San Diego and the KNSD callsign (he also replaced the ND, again, for good measure). It's honestly the WIAT/WATN situation of the 80s.

Morale was low, as this June 1988 article attests:

"Morale has been a huge problem in the newsroom, [Nancy Bauer, who months later was named ND] acknowledges. Reporters' contracts have not been renewed since the station went on the auction block two tense years ago, anticipating it was better to put off such negotiating until the new owners made their likes and dislikes clear."

By late June, the first rumors of a callsign change were swirling. Over all of this was the looming threat of a potential sale of the station, along with WJBK, to Group W, so that Gillett could reduce its debt load. KNSD debuted its revamped look and product in time for the Seoul Olympics.

The KNSD look that the station had for quite some time (really wasn't altered until 1996, jettisoned entirely in late 96/early 97) is among my personal favorites, to the point where I recreated the entire KNSD custom typeface!