Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Inside KVUE in the mid-80s. The footage seems to come from May 1985:

Listen at the end for a close from the same period. This is one of the earliest uses of this package.

It’s possible that maybe KVUE commissioned this theme and not WNDU or WKRC... just a thought.

Here’s an open from four years prior... pretty bland and basic.

Pittsburgh!

KDKA (Pittsburgh) November 24, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242423192[/MEDIA]

WTAE (Pittsburgh) November 27, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242424446[/MEDIA]

WPXI (Pittsburgh) December 2, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242450865[/MEDIA]

• Like 6

Now i know you heard it on the southernmedia nmsa but i found some of the same music with parts never heard before.

Electro Phatasma

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=50;id=WCIXMiamiElectroPhatasma;width=300[/MEDIA]

WEVU hello news sampler

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=50;id=HelloPromos;width=300[/MEDIA]

Hello news tracks (you need to go to archive.org to listen to the rest)

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=50;id=249HelloNewsTrack49;width=300[/MEDIA]

Tuesday 3 WPTV

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=50;id=ActionNewsTheme;width=300[/MEDIA]

Wall to Wall news

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=50;id=KXASTVSampler;width=300[/MEDIA]

I hope you enjoy.

• Like 5

Pittsburgh!

KDKA (Pittsburgh) November 24, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242423192[/MEDIA]

WTAE (Pittsburgh) November 27, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242424446[/MEDIA]

WPXI (Pittsburgh) December 2, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242450865[/MEDIA]

Yes that KDKA open and talent rejoin takes me back.

• Like 1

Now i know you heard it on the southernmedia nmsa but i found some of the same music with parts never heard before.

[sNIP]

WEVU hello news sampler

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=50;id=HelloPromos;width=300[/MEDIA]

Hello news tracks (you need to go to archive.org to listen to the rest)

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=50;id=249HelloNewsTrack49;width=300[/MEDIA]

I hope you enjoy.

That same uploader put up one of the few Hellos you've never heard — WEVU! (Given the rarity of anything WEVU, this is a big find!)

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=480;id=HelloWEVU;width=640[/MEDIA]

This...this is an absolute gold mine. Let's just say that WEVU sampler clocks in at 23 minutes for a very good reason...

Went down the rabbit hole a few days ago looking for classic Philly clips and found this gem:

Action News Issues and Answers. That was one of their two Sunday morning interview shows (the other one being Inside Story, which lasts to this day). I mainly bring it up because of the close. I LOVE that rambling piano cut from MCTYW they use here.

From 1991, an overnight news update from CityTV (CHUM) in Toronto. Note that the anchor is effectively the technical director of the update, selecting the shots and zooming the camera:

And an entire edition of CityPulse Tonight from the following year, beginning with a promo for the overnight updates:

• Like 3

Few more Phoenix I just found... (I also have a KPNX & a KSAZ from the same timeframe, but the upload craps out...)

KNXV (Phoenix) March 14, 1999 5:30pm (Originally posted as May 14, 1999)

[MEDIA=vimeo]243397434[/MEDIA]

KPHO (Phoenix) February 3, 1999 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]243397722[/MEDIA]

• Like 3

Are you sure that's May 14? There's a mention that "spring break starts tomorrow" for ASU in that KNXV newscast, and there's other March mentions. It seems to be March, not May.

Also, the GMC commercial at 13:09 features Mystery Male Voiceover! I've never heard his voice on an actual commercial.

• Like 1

I showed that commercial to my mom and she says she recognizes that male voiceover. I wonder... I doubt it, but maybe one of the Albany stations used him? I know WRGB had Charlie Van Dyke, WNYT always used Ed Hopkins, and WTEN had Dude Walker, and then that other unidentified WTVO voiceover guy... I wonder how you can identify voiceovers...

Anyway I know I posted this before, but has anyone found out that WTVC used “Tuesday3”?

Are you sure that's May 14? There's a mention that "spring break starts tomorrow" for ASU in that KNXV newscast, and there's other March mentions. It seems to be March, not May.

Also, the GMC commercial at 13:09 features Mystery Male Voiceover! I've never heard his voice on an actual commercial.

That puts the newscast in line with the KSAZ & KPNX newscasts - I was trying to figure out why the spread in dates...

J

That same uploader put up one of the few Hellos you've never heard — WEVU! (Given the rarity of anything WEVU, this is a big find!)

I discovered that there is a Kindle book called "We View" by David Miller (former employee) that details the founding and early happenings of WEVU Ch. 26.

• Like 2

That's actually *two* days after ewjxn's clip. How bizarre they'd both appear on the same day.

From El Paso to Tulsa, here's KTUL's Oklahoma's News 8 from 1994:

That open resembles WNEM’s from the time. I wonder if WNEM’s open looked exactly like that only blue colored, and with “Allegro” and Paul Turner.