Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Any one have the clean version of the seven national news theme

The one used by Brisbane's BTQ in the clip above? Sorry, no, but you can hear the original version of the theme in this 1983 BTQ open, right after the "Love You Brisbane" promo:

08937819.jpg

ATN in Sydney (and possibly other Seven Network stations) also used this version, but not as long as BTQ. (Don't let the word "National" mislead you, by the way; these were all locally produced newscasts, but with national and international stories in addition to the local news.)

I can't say I've seen any Aussie news opens...from the 70s!

Here are some more Aussie news opens from the '60 and the '70s:

GTV9, Melbourne; Today promo and open, 1968:

ATN7, Sydney; open and long segment of a newscast, 1978 (starts at 2:22):

HSV7, Melbourne; news open, early '70s:

ABC (public); news open, 1970:

HSV7, Melbourne; promo, news open and close, 1967:

The answer is no. The first news shares in the country started in 1991, when WNEP began producing WOLF's 10pm newscast; WJKS created "First Coast News at 10" on WAWS in Jacksonville; and it wasn't uncommon even on the West Coast either (KAYU got a 10pm news in Spokane, produced by KREM). But it is an early example of what would soon become common.

Also...KATU 11pm, 1996. This is the highest quality sample yet of their Spirit update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Q9KiatcdA

WTVJ 1974 newscast (with a newsdesk shaped like their '4' logo!):

A ton of other WTVJ newscasts from the 70s and 80s are posted. And the 1978 'behind the scenes' video.

FYI, this is Bob Mayer's personal YT page if nobody knew that beforehand.

KTNV, 1990 5:30 open. The music is still Palmer, but the TVbD package has been ditched for the syndicated graphics also used by WTMJ and quite a few others:

From 1993, a KLAS promo and open. While the promo features the 1992 theme's jingle, the station has by now changed its news music to Real News. The graphics are CBS affiliate graphics. Though this is the second sample of Real News we have from KLAS, it's still missing from the NMSA. In addition, the NMSA has another order error (NS2001->PYCCO8*->RealNews is the order, not NS2001->RealNews->PYCCO8)

*"People You Can Count On 8" — "People You Can Count On" otherwise specifies the WBRZ/KTNV/WCHS package.

Though this is the second sample of Real News we have from KLAS, it's still missing from the NMSA. In addition, the NMSA has another order error (NS2001->PYCCO8*->RealNews is the order, not NS2001->RealNews->PYCCO8)

I made my first visit to Las Vegas in 1994 (change from a NASA engineer to an IT engineer) and attended NetWorld+InterOp in May 1994. KLAS was using PYCCO8 at that point for Eyewitness News and still had Real News on their "local update" on CNN Headline News. I enjoyed the closes - most were a full minute or longer with nice clean cuts of the music (I have them on 8mm tape, somewhere...)

J