Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Another Internet Archive find. KXAS, 6pm, 1992. Note that this video is mislabeled as a teen smoking piece aired by KCAL. ttp://archive.org/details/tobacco_gxx27a00

From May 1986, WCMH's Newsconference 4. Notably, it looks like the Outlet-WAGA-KSAT-KTVK theme found use beyond 1980: http://archive.org/details/tobacco_iey27a00

WETA's Metro Week, 1994. This production music was also used by CBS Sports. http://archive.org/details/tobacco_gbw27a00

Oh my, Chris Reed is back!

He has just proceeded to crack or shatter much of our knowledge of Charleston news music — both the WCSC and WCBD materials show uses of their late 90s packages earlier than expected.

I'm starting to think there may be an order of packages error in the WCIV history. I think Brave New World *preceded* this theme — which would be indicated by the fact that the Brave New World open looks more early 90s and uses the title News 4 (and IIRC has some news item related to the Gulf War!) In addition, the 1994 copy of this era of WCIV opens has the VO of Chris Clausen — just like the Brave New World package. The NMSA has refused to respond to some of my emails related to similar errors at KOTV and WJSU (both in the 1980s).

Gosh, that WCIV package is severely underrated. Note that this is a different VO than the known 6pm version of this open. Also note that the

uses The One and Only. I do believe the open and close, which are related, are not from that package.

WETA's Metro Week, 1994. This production music was also used by CBS Sports. http://archive.org/d...obacco_gbw27a00

By the way, if anyone curious to find out the extended theme, search the title track "Explorers" on the killer tracks' search engine. It's a good track. By the way, as a native new yorker, it's been years since i've seen this open. I hit the jackpot on accident after searching for a different station and year. Oh the years when i was young watching Jim Ryan and the "good day gang". Seeing the open brought back the distant memory I had remembered.

Good Day New York Dec. 1993 open (with the controversy surrounding the EMS and then mayor-elect Guiliani) with the Kalehoff classic "Good Day" theme.

Part 2 into the continuation of the controversy

Oh my, Chris Reed is back!

He has just proceeded to crack or shatter much of our knowledge of Charleston news music — both the WCSC and WCBD materials show uses of their late 90s packages earlier than expected.

I'm starting to think there may be an order of packages error in the WCIV history. I think Brave New World *preceded* this theme — which would be indicated by the fact that the Brave New World open looks more early 90s and uses the title News 4 (and IIRC has some news item related to the Gulf War!) In addition, the 1994 copy of this era of WCIV opens has the VO of Chris Clausen — just like the Brave New World package. The NMSA has refused to respond to some of my emails related to similar errors at KOTV and WJSU (both in the 1980s).

Gosh, that WCIV package is severely underrated. Note that this is a different VO than the known 6pm version of this open. Also note that the

uses The One and Only. I do believe the open and close, which are related, are not from that package.

Definitely digging that Charleston stuff! I like that WCIV theme too... I have a funny feeling it's a piece of production music.

I'd love to hear more of that "WCSC 1990s theme" that I know was used as early as 1991 and as late as 1993 (probably later than that?).

It's definitely real. Here are a few of comments about the open from the Australian site mediaspy.org and YouTube:

"I just had a LOL moment looking at that bizarre opener. I'm going to have to see that again."

"OMG, how cheesy is that 1987 Opener for Seven National News Brisbane! It makes the current Seven News Brisbane opener look half decent, and that's saying something because the current Seven News graphics (especially local bulletins from outside Sydney with little, if any animating graphics) are terrible IMO. The remix of the classic Seven National News theme isn't too bad though."

"The news opener at the end of the clip is possibly the weirdest news opener I've ever seen, but then again, it was the 1980s."[/size]

By the way, here is their competitor, TVQ (Channel 0 -- yes, Australia had a channel 0), from the same night -- again preceded by a few news promos:

The theme is Gari's Turn to News.

EDIT: Or an Australian version of that theme -- I just saw Raymie's post in another thread.

By the way, if anyone curious to find out the extended theme, search the title track "Explorers" on the killer tracks' search engine. It's a good track. By the way, as a native new yorker, it's been years since i've seen this open. I hit the jackpot on accident after searching for a different station and year. Oh the years when i was young watching Jim Ryan and the "good day gang". Seeing the open brought back the distant memory I had remembered.

Good Day New York Dec. 1993 open (with the controversy surrounding the EMS and then mayor-elect Guiliani) with the Kalehoff classic "Good Day" theme.

Part 2 into the continuation of the controversy

Man, I'm not a NYer, but when I do watch that particular open it feels that you are watching a NY program, as opposed to today's shell of its former self.

@WWUpdate: The American themes picked up in Australia were probably re-recorded Down Under. TServo (Jeffrey) theorized that this was done to avoid issues with the Aussie music unions. We've found Turn To in one of the Aussie music union repertories — co-listed between Frank Gari and another name that didn't ring a bell with him, lending further credence to the theory.

In the TVQ clip, the end of the "Stand Up" bumper sounds a little different. The TVQ open is rather closer to the US version except toward the end. The close is *definitely* a remix and matches the closes used across the Ten network in 1988. They show more of a synth mix. Of course the image songs used local voice talent.

Other packages show more thoroughly elements of change — look at Tuesday's WWL package which sounds like a completely different mix, the 1980s MCTYW redub and the Nine Network's long running Cool Hand Luke mix.