Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The piano melody when Parks says "holiday cheer" is spot on...it's the first part that has me second guessing myself. It definitely would be an oddity...but stranger things have happened, even amongst Stephen Arnold packages (e.g. WBRZ and WGMB, more recently).

• Like 4

Interesting KERO stuff from 1999. I did find something on YouTube related to KERO. This is a video montage containing a clip of the California Raisins and some classic KERO news moments and bloopers featuring legendary Bakersfield newsman Burleigh Smith.

It even features a glimpse of a KERO news open from around the mid 1980s which features an unknown theme. This was before KERO adopted the "Turn To News" package by Frank Gari. You can check out that news open clip at 11:35.

• Like 1

Did Taft & Coleman switch stations around the same time? Coleman, I believe, would have been doing weather (from Chicago) for Good Morning America at this point.

Coleman left WLS around 1979/80 on bad terms, having been phased off of each newscast over the previous years. He was succeeded by Steve Deshler, who then left for a year to go to CBS. Some schlub moved to #1, and then I think pretty much left when Steve came back. Taft came aboard as #2 in '84 when the 1-hour 4:30 news was expanded and broken into the separate 4 and 5. As for Coleman, while he did start at WMAQ in 1984, he had been off doing the Weather Channel (and I think another stop or two, I think), so it wasn't really a trade or direct switch. At that point, Coleman had been out of town for almost half a decade.

Two-thirds of WLS 6pm newscast, January 1999. With how rare late-90's stuff is from the station, it's a shame the open is incomplete:

This must have been one of the last WPVI type opens that WLS did. I have a news open of their 10PM newscast from February 1999 when they went to the "rotating ring" opens.

This must have been one of the last WPVI type opens that WLS did. I have a news open of their 10PM newscast from February 1999 when they went to the "rotating ring" opens.

Heck, I had always thought the "rings" debuted in '98. Looking back, it's kind of hilarious how often they changed graphics in the 90's, knowing later on they'd let a package go mostly untouched for more than 8 years.

You may or may not remember this, but there were some classic KULR videos on YouTube several years ago. One of them was a promo for KULR's "Straight 8 Newservice" from the early to mid 1980s.

Now, I found something rare. From the 1980s, here is a promo KULR aired as part of its rebranding campaign. The station, along with KBAK Bakersfield and several others were owned by Harriscope Broadcasting.

[quote name='8Viewer']WMAQ 1974 close at the end of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ggLZWIcPgc One of the posters commented the theme was also used by WNAC and WDIO.[/QUOTE] Digging this out of the archives...I found the evidence for WDIO using this piece. Terrible quality, but pretty cool nonetheless! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=5haQDU7kdGY;m=3;s=26 And [URL='https://youtu.be/8yxfvM-v8Js?t=24s']this is the evidence[/URL] for WNAC. Going to ping @TServo2049 for this too, since he said the track is a Capitol piece he might have...

WBBM takes a look at its historic old studios, the site of -- among other things -- the 1960 Nixon-Kennedy debate. (The clip itself is from 2008, but I've posted it here because most of the footage shown in the report is pre-2000):

• Like 1

We take you back to 1987 where WCHS-TV in Charleston brought you a "News 8 Newsline" promoting the stories for its 11pm news. WCHS used the classic KTNV-WBRZ theme. As I heard the five notes in the theme, it got me to thinking that these five notes could have been the theme's signature, "People You Can Count On", which was WCHS' slogan at the time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Av7Xcl7Kjc

Also, WTTG closed out its morning newscast with Maury Povich using Soundtrack's The Image Leader back in 1985.

But that's not all, here is another version of the WTCN Hello campaign as sung by Frank Gari himself in 1982.

In addition, here is a WAKR-TV news open from 1986. The theme you hear in the open comes from the WAKC 1988 News Theme, but began using it sometime in the mid 1980s when channel 23 was known as WAKR-TV. KGGM-TV 13 (now KRQE) in Albuquerque used this theme also in the early 1980s.