Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

thenightbeat has upload a WHOLE chunk of vintage news opens, promos, and closes from Austin, DFW, San Antonio, and Houston.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thenightbeat

It's unmistakably him — the tapes are in just as interesting quality, there's the second of something else spliced on the end...

Here are some samples...

• Like 1

No open here, but WJTC? In 1985? With a newscast? I had to share this. There's also some WEAR in here. The topic: the closure of a local radio station.

And if you like Rockford, check out WIFR in 1998:

If neither of those float your boat...WSAZ promos from the end of the 70s with Part of Your Life!

Or KFMB in 1989? (Featuring a full close of the Silvertree theme and an editorial!)

Or WOWL from the same year?

• Like 1

Or KFMB in 1989? (Featuring a full close of the Silvertree theme and an editorial!)

GAH!!!!!! I LOVE THIS! Excuse the caps. So much of my childhood is captured in this. Also, in almost 30 years, while more buildings have dotted the Downtown skyline as the open winded around the Coronado Bridge.. it honestly hasn't changed much.

• Like 2

WICD bumper...is this NewScore? From 1987:

I'd say it is. Melody turns into a dead-on match in the last five seconds (compare :15 in the WTVM open on the NMSA).

A real find, posted a few days before Christmas...

A celebration of the career of KDKA Television's legendary Bill Burns (Patti's Daddy) from 1983/1988....

Interesting...the first few seconds of that "The World Tonight" open uses the same music as

Here is a set of short WWBT clips from 1986 and 1988. The first video contains a short WWBT "12 News Update" open using "The Mission" by John Williams.

From 1985, here is a WTCN news open featuring Roger Thompson on the voiceover and the "9 Country/11 Country" package.

Here is a KHOU news open from 1979.

And here is a WPIX special news open from 1977 using "Move Closer To Your World" by Al Ham.

• Like 1

Get ready for more vintage video. To start it off, here are two WLUK promos from the 1980s and the first one is a :30 version of the Florence Warner sung "Hello Wisconsin".

Here is a WBNB news open from 1985 which includes the first moments of a "NewsCenter 10" broadcast.

Here is a WTRF news clip from 1986. Watch at the beginning of the video as you'll hear an unknown theme bumper.

We take you back to the late 1980s where WAKC (then WAKR-TV) still had a local newscast. This video contains clips from what looks like a 6pm newscast in that era. The news open seen at around :06 uses the same graphics WAKC has had since the mid 1980s when the station was WAKR-TV. Not only that, they used the KGGM theme that WAKR-TV had used during that time.

Also, we take you back to 1984 where WAKR-TV (later WAKC) closed an 11pm newscast. The close can be seen at around 2:36.

• Like 1

Not news, but oh so perfect TV presentation...

From my favorite TV station of all time, Philly 57, a 40 minute block of commercials, promos, and clips from a special presentation of an early dub of Dragon Ball (years before it became popular). The whole thing is great, but I moved the start up to this particular gem of an announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=2eXRO2Ib6iI;m=37;s=2

Kim Martin might be my personal favorite announcer ever. You don't see warm and friendly touches like that anymore.

• Like 2

My post on Buddy Bostick's death must have drawn this out of the shadows...

In keeping with Bostick's frugal philosophy, KWTX held onto news music far longer than it should have. They were the last station to use Tuesday13 (abandoned in 1990) and didn't ditch The News Image until 1997. Only a handful other stations were even still using the package in 1991! The news open itself strongly suggests someone regularly watched WFAA...

In 1997, KWTX atoned for its news music sins with one of the quietly best packages of the 90s (and while the open date is 2004, the graphics are clearly older)...

• Like 4