Airplane Strikes KCBD Tower

memnews1

They're broadcasting from the studios of Lubbock Independent School District's student news. They say NBC programming will try to be restored.

They were not using their graphics, but LISD TV News'.

Watch Live: http://www.kcbd.com/story/28028671/1-killed-in-plane-crash-near-kcbd-tower-station-off-the-air

So you want an entire TV station completely shut down because small market TV is soooo dreadful. Cool dude.

No. I just don't feel like anyone is missing out on anything with KCBD being off the air. Their original studio is only slightly better than the temp set they're borrowing from LISD. Lubbock(small market TV in general) just sucks especially coming from a top 10 market. Sorry just my opinion.

No. I just don't feel like anyone is missing out on anything with KCBD being off the air. Their original studio is only slightly better than the temp set they're borrowing from LISD. Lubbock(small market TV in general) just sucks especially coming from a top 10 market. Sorry just my opinion.

Somebody died. I guess that what he's getting at is that the station's shortcomings are entirely irrelevant in this situation.

Hate to say it, but Channel 11 is done for. The tower may be beyond repair.

Time for another subchannel shuffle! (It happens all the time in smaller markets.)

Maybe Raycom could buy KJTV from Ramar Communications and move NBC to 34.2. It would also buy low power KJTV-CD and the construction permit for KLBB-LD.

KJTV (RF 35): 34.1 FOX (720p HD), 34.2 NBC (720p HD), 34.3 MeTV (480i SD)

KJTV-CD (RF 33): 32.1 News (720p HD), 32.2 Weather (480i SD), 32.3 Telemundo (720p HD)

KLBB-LD (CP) (RF 48): 48.1 ThisTV (480i SD), 48.2 Grit (480i SD), 48.3 H&I (480i SD)

Ramar would keep KLCW, KMYL-LD and KXTQ-CA.

As always, pure speculation, may or may not happen.

Insurance, either from the policy covering the plane or the station's itself, will cover the cost of rebuilding their tower.

It should also cover loss of revenue during the period the station is off the air (and therefore unable to broadcast commercial content).

Talk of this being the "death" knell of KCBD is premature at best and downright insulting at worst, made by people who have no understanding of business in general and tv in particular.

Here's the 'before' of the station and tower, from Google Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/BUHpo

I feel incredibly sick for the pilots and his family and thankful that there weren't any more fatalities. I guess the only saving grace is that the station is in a rural area. I shudder to think what would happen if this happened here with the towers being in a residential neighborhood.

In 1998 while WBAL,WMAR and WJZ were installing their digital antennas on top of their candelabra 20 out of 24 bolts on a crane became loose and leaving the crane about to fall. Consequently WBAL and WJZ were evacuated and along with a hundred homes. WBAL broadcast from MPT and WJZ from WBFF for the day. WBFF and WNUV would probably be evacuate if something happened to their tower but they'd probably be able to remain self sufficient with the studios up in Hunt Valley and WUTB's transmitter is in the county.

When I worked in Montana, the towers for both KFBB and KRTV stood right next to each other in the field behind the two stations. Directly across the city, at the top of the other bluff, sat Great Falls International Airport.

There was many a morning when I saw airliners landing that seemed to just barely miss the tops of the towers on final approach.

FYI an "ad hoc" version of KCBD is back on the air via the KJTV-CD transmitter (RF 32.2/ VC 11.1).

SuddenLink (like most other providers) is piping in KWES from Odessa/Midland. SuddenLink is also splicing in the KCBD newscasts from LSID "covering" the KWES newscasts on their feed. KCBD is taking this feed from SuddenLink and sending it out OTA via KJTV-CD as described above.

And, they pulled the remainder of the tower down this evening. So, KCBD should be able to return to the studio soon. They were forced to evacuate due to a potential collapse of the remaining portion of the tower.

What about KWES' syndicated programming?

As far as I know it's being cleared in full. I don't believe any providers are "covering" or blacking out the syndicated programming.

Only SuddenLink is "covering" the newscasts with the LISD newscasts. This was presumably done to create the "ad hoc" KCBD feed now being transmitted via KJTV-CD over the air.

Not sure if the other providers have switched from KWES to this "ad hoc" KCBD feed or if they are even able to.

Archived