CBS Early Show Changes

cbs2worksforyou

This is a little late, but Marysol Castro, weathercaster on The Early Show, has left the program as of September 2nd. Castro joined CBS in January after sweeping changes resulted in a brand-new anchor team. Castro previously worked for ABC where she was the weekend weathercaster for Good Morning America.

In addition, primary anchor Chris Wragge is doing double duty by returning to his former station, WCBS-TV, to anchor the 6 pm news in addition to The Early Show.

Do these changes signal another revamp of CBS' morning broadcast?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly... they should just give the 7-9 slot back to the affiliates to program with local news. I don't think they'd actually do that (Early Show might be #3 but it still makes considerable money), but it'd probably lead to better ratings on the affiliate level.

they should at least give the 7am hour back to the affiliates and let them do a mix of local and some national segments like before.

They should just stop trying to do that "hard news" concept they are doing now to be "different." When the country is in bad economic times and the morale of America is very small, then why would I look at them and feel worst about myself. They took out the entertainment segments and really seem confused at what audience they are aiming for. They also need more diversity with age (everybody now is under 40) and with race (they only have whites on the show). Thats not representing the America of today. Chris has one foot out the door, but they should not replace him with Jeff Glor. Find a seasoned anchor/reporter from ABC/NBC/CNN. They need another Lady to anchor and go back to the 3 anchor concept and bring in some women who doesnt talk so dawg on fast like ERIKA HILL(she still thinks she on AC360 and have 5 minutes to get 15 worth of news in). They could bring Betty Nyugen or some ethnic women and for god sake get a weather person. Even CW the Daily Buzz has some person to do the weather. I could keep talking and wishing but they are just through and just accept the fact they always going to be number 3. They never listen to there veiwers because if they did they would have kept Harry, Dave, and Maggie who atleast crack the 3 million mark at some point. Now they fighting to keep the 2 miilion they have now that keep leaving and going to GMA. The today show is also going through some problems, but thats another story (hint: ANN).

They should just stop trying to do that "hard news" concept they are doing now to be "different." When the country is in bad economic times and the morale of America is very small, then why would I look at them and feel worst about myself. They took out the entertainment segments and really seem confused at what audience they are aiming for. They also need more diversity with age (everybody now is under 40) and with race (they only have whites on the show). Thats not representing the America of today. Chris has one foot out the door, but they should not replace him with Jeff Glor. Find a seasoned anchor/reporter from ABC/NBC/CNN. They need another Lady to anchor and go back to the 3 anchor concept and bring in some women who doesnt talk so dawg on fast like ERIKA HILL(she still thinks she on AC360 and have 5 minutes to get 15 worth of news in). They could bring Betty Nyugen or some ethnic women and for god sake get a weather person. Even CW the Daily Buzz has some person to do the weather. I could keep talking and wishing but they are just through and just accept the fact they always going to be number 3. They never listen to there veiwers because if they did they would have kept Harry, Dave, and Maggie who atleast crack the 3 million mark at some point. Now they fighting to keep the 2 miilion they have now that keep leaving and going to GMA. The today show is also going through some problems, but thats another story (hint: ANN).

You have a great idea there. Even though I like watching the Early Show, it should have some diversity it. I didn't notice at all that it had all whites in the main team. Since when did Today have problems with Ann? She's a fascinating reporter...and she's cute.

You have a great idea there. Even though I like watching the Early Show, it should have some diversity it. I didn't notice at all that it had all whites in the main team. Since when did Today have problems with Ann? She's a fascinating reporter...and she's cute.

I do like Ann, dont get me wrong but being a Today co-anchor isnt her. They should have gave her the new news magzine show call Rock Center with Ann Curry (Brian and Matt arent the only person who can do a show on NBC) and brought in some one else. Ann is an excellent journalist, but she not a Warm person that I'll watch to get me up in the morning. She is the kind that you get high profiled interviews from. Maybe she will get better but GMA is pretty close to take over there viewers. I personally started looking at GMA regular now since what happen at the Early Show. They did a good job picking their team but I got a feeling that when George leaves to be ABC World news anchor when Diane retires in about 2-3 years, they will replace him with Josh instead of David Muir or Chris Coumo. But thats me just talking. The Today show better step up or become second place. Someone from CBS please read this so you can atleast be a continder in the morning ratings race.

I do like Ann, dont get me wrong but being a Today co-anchor isnt her. They should have gave her the new news magzine show call Rock Center with Ann Curry (Brian and Matt arent the only person who can do a show on NBC) and brought in some one else. Ann is an excellent journalist, but she not a Warm person that I'll watch to get me up in the morning. She is the kind that you get high profiled interviews from. Maybe she will get better but GMA is pretty close to take over there viewers. I personally started looking at GMA regular now since what happen at the Early Show. They did a good job picking there team but I got a feeling that when George leaves to be ABC World news anchor when Diane retires in about 2-3 years, they will replace him with Josh instead of David Muir or Chris Coumo. But thats me just talking. The Today show better step up or become second place. Someone from CBS please read this so you can atleast be a continder in the morning ratings race.

Thanx for the reply; I understand . BTW I've been thinking about George S. leaving ABC GMA for ABC World News instead of Robin R. Even though she's been there longer and should be next when Diane Sawyer leaves, he is more...um...hard-newsy than Robin. Besides, I'm still wondering...why is George now a part of the ABC GMA team after leaving ABC This Week? (Not that I don't like him [he's great]; it's that David Muir should be sitting next to Robin after Diane left) Oh and it's "their", not "there".

Thanx for the reply; I understand . BTW I've been thinking about George S. leaving ABC GMA for ABC World News instead of Robin R. Even though she's been there longer and should be next when Diane Sawyer leaves, he is more...um...hard-newsy than Robin. Besides, I'm still wondering...why is George now a part of the ABC GMA team after leaving ABC This Week? (Not that I don't like him [he's great]; it's that David Muir should be sitting next to Robin after Diane left) Oh and it's "their", not "there".

You right. The reason they pick Geroge was so people will already know him and he will be nationally known (It is just for convience). He is always on world news as a sub, so he is a sure pick. Robin is just going to do GMA and some lifestyle interviews then retire.

With the old anchor team and format, I used to watch The Early Show every morning... now I can't stand it. Too many serious stories, I really don't want to see an hour of politics... It's horrible. I now just watch GMA after CBS 2 News This Morning.

With the old anchor team and format, I used to watch The Early Show every morning... now I can't stand it. Too many serious stories, I really don't want to see an hour of politics... It's horrible. I now just watch GMA after CBS 2 News This Morning.

You are so right. I am sick of that hard news format they trying to do.. It's to much with the country morale is down from the economy. I sure hope they do some serious changes from getting rid of chris wragge for sure and cutting erika hill talking to a minimum.

• 4 weeks later...

John Miller, former WNEW (WNYW), WNBC and ABC News correspondent and government criminal intelligence expert has signed on as a senior correspondent with CBS News.

http://www.mediabist...spondent_b25528

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/john-miller-to-join-the-early-show_b92997

He is expected to play a "major role" on the new and not-necessarily improved Early Show...whatever that is, who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

So if you stop by the CBS Broadcasting Center you will see a big wall along the street basically saying "They are building you a better morning". So CBS will have a street side studio at the CBS Broadcast Center. They will be moving from their 5th Avenue Studio to the Streetside Studio at the CBS Broadcast Center.

So if you stop by the CBS Broadcasting Center you will see a big wall along the street basically saying "They are building you a better morning". So CBS will have a street side studio at the CBS Broadcast Center. They will be moving from their 5th Avenue Studio to the Streetside Studio at the CBS Broadcast Center.

I wonder what it will look like with the newsroom set mixed in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, the news we have been anticipating is here. Today, CBS announced the details of the new Early Show. And it's official, of course; The nationally-discussed and -divided addition of Charlie Rose and Gayle King. Erica Hill and Jeff Glor will stay on the show; Hill as co-anchor and Glor as special correspondent.

Our friends at TVNewser has the deets on the story: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/heres-the-news-on-the-new-cbs-morning-news_b98364

I wonder what they are going to name the new morning show. My suggestions are CBS 'Eyeopener', CBS 'Mornings', CBS 'Sunrise', CBS 'Daily Grind', or go back to CBS 'This Morning' because a lot of local stations still use the name. Are there any more suggestions. I am glad CBS saw that Chris Wragge was not working in the mornings and got rid of him. I still do miss Harry, Maggie, and Dave though.

Wrong. I see Chris Wragge every morning, as he sits alongside Erica Hill (I watch it every morning on affiliate KCNC CBS4 here in Denver).

As for CBS Eyeopener, the morning show title is very reflective of the CBS eye logo (been around for more than 50 years).

As far as George Stephanopolous is concerned, he is perfect for filling the void (which Peter Jennings left behind post-2005 death), but if you read the article below, I don't see Diane Sawyer retiring anytime soon.

http://www.thirdage.com/news/diane-sawyers-65th-birthday-no-retirement-plans-diane-sawyer-just-yet_12-22-2010?page=1

I wonder what they are going to name the new morning show. My suggestions are CBS 'Eyeopener', CBS 'Mornings', CBS 'Sunrise', CBS 'Daily Grind', or go back to CBS 'This Morning' because a lot of local stations still use the name. Are there any more suggestions. I am glad CBS saw that Chris Wragge was not working in the mornings and got rid of him. I still do miss Harry, Maggie, and Dave though.

I like "Mornings", because back in the 70s, CBS used this name and incorporated all days of the week into the name (ex.: Monday Morning). That's where Sunday Morning got its name and start. I also like "Sunrise" and "This Morning".

As long as they don't rename it "The Morning Program" (if you were one of the eight people in the country who remember it well).

By the way...The CBC's Peter Mansbridge was originally tapped to co-host CBS This Morning, but he said "Forget it!" when he was offered the anchor job at "The National."

• 2 weeks later...

Well for those who hope the new CBS morning show would be named something with "Morning" in it and not with "Program", you are in luck. The network announced that the name will be "CBS This Morning". Sounds familiar? It is. Many websites have the deets on the new/old name.

Here is what the original looked like back in 1987 with Harry Smith and Kathleen Sullivan:

Clip form a Christmas Day show:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PUBM5JkcR0&feature=related

From a show in April 1989 Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDc_eOVHEEk&feature=related (features an old set and a new one.)

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbQ5tBoSqs&feature=related

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqLc8qLlloU&feature=related

Here's how it looked as simply "This Morning" in 1996 with Jane Robelot and Mark McEwen.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=vb68vA4VOXc

Part 2 with the great theme by Carly Simon: http://www.youtube.c...1&v=CIhlUooyuiM

Here is what the original looked like back in 1996 with Jane Robelot and Mark McEwen.

That's not the original. From the late '80s ('87?) until 1996, the program was called "CBS This Morning." The CBS was removed, leaving it "This Morning" from 1996-1999, when "The Early Show" debuted.

That's not the original. From the late '80s ('87?) until 1996, the program was called "CBS This Morning." The CBS was removed, leaving it "This Morning" from 1996-1999, when "The Early Show" debuted.

You're right; I got it wrong. I got so caught up in the news of the name change, that I forgot to add the video for the '87 This Morning. I'll make changes to my post immediately.

And while David Letterman took his show to London for a week in 1995, CBS This Morning invaded his studio and added something that was never tried before in a morning news show: A studio audience! I was already liking it until 1996 (when KTVF said goodbye to the Eye and hello to the Peacock).

Archived