Sue Simmons is OUT

Daybreak

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or is Channel 4 not promoting Sue's last day? Why aren't they making this a big deal? This is going to be huge when she leaves and it seems to me like Channel 4 could care less about how big Sue's leaving the station will be for the station and for the viewers of News 4 New York. Just my 2 cents.

Newsfan, I could not agree with you more. I was thinking the same thing last night, hoping for at least a sentence about it on the 11PM last night. But alas, nothing.

And like you said, this is a big deal. And it does look like WNBC-TV does not care about her leaving. Let's hope they will mention something throught the week.

I was expecting a week long celebration, perhaps guests of Live at Five past / former co-workers would share a thought and send best wishes. I hope they don't just do a 3 minute video tribute on her last day.

And it does look like WNBC-TV does not care about her leaving.

Then again, why would they? Since they're the ones letter her go.

In reading FTV Live yesterday, it was mentioned that WNBC wants Sue's departure to be low key especially with all that has happened in regards with bad press and all. Also, it was mentioned that there will be a "Cooling off period" between Sue's departure and Shiba's promotion. Again this is from FTV Live.

What I heard from a reliable source in NY, Shiba is having second thoughts because of the bad press and Contessa may get the job. They are thinking about announcing in August in time for the up coming elections.

So, WNBC doesn't care about one of their iconic anchors leaving this week? They will care when ratings start to sink (further).

Just like WPIX's did following the massive 2010 shakeup.

The reason Shiba would face so much heat is because she was brought in and just a year and a half or so later Sue is gone is it would look like she "pushed Sue out".. If Sues contract wasn't renewed without Shiba being there and they just promoted someone they wouldn't face as much heat.. I also think the age difference btwn Chuck and Shiba will be awkward.. I know there are age differences among every team but a 68 year old with 30 something year old? I think they should keep Tom and Shiba together and give Sue's spot to Darlene.. She's the most qualified and is known to many of the viewers which would make the change a little easier on WNBC.

Erika Tarantal returns in mid summer, if Darlene went to 6pm and 11pm I wonder if Erika would go to Today In New York M-F?

Plus WNBC has Jane Hanson and Jacqui Reed from NY Live. When that show ends I'm guessing they are still under contract.

Jacqui has filled in a few times with Pat on Weekend Today In New York.

It would be nice if they did find a place for Contessa I'm just not sure they have a place for her.

Well today is the day.. One line I read earlier that really got me.. "At 11:35 tonight Sue will leave the WNBC set forever" really sad..but here is what I think the new team should be

Today in NY: Michael and Pat Battle

Noon/5: Tom and Shiba

6/11: Chuck and Darlene

Weekend AM: Erika Tarantal and Gus Rosendale

Weekend PM: David Ushery and Contessa Brewer.

Any thoughts?

I remember WNBC saluting Bill Beutel upon his retirement. WIll WABC do the same? I doubt it, but could be wrong. The potential schedule that nynewslover suggests makes a lot of sense. Its better to promote home grown talent that a person that looks like an outsider. As for me, since 2008 I've only watched the 11PM on WNBC. After tonight, won't be watching anything on WNBC. I wish Sue Simmons all the best and success in anything she wants to do, if its retirement, another job elsewhere, write a book, anything. She will be missed by millions!

I have been watching Chuck and Sue, almost religiously, for the last 18 years. The dynamic charisma that they both brought to the newscast, as a package, made me interested in the business. While my career path went a different way than tv news, every night I was still able to catch a glimpse at that dream I had as a child. Sue Simmons is a consumate professional from the old-school way of doing business. While it really hurts to see her leave, I can relate to the situation in business terms. Should WNBC have let her take the bow on her terms? Well we would have hoped that to be the case, but we do not make the decisions. A "retired" roll of a delivering a commentary or special event would have been nice, and certainly would have lessend the blow to the replacement, but such is life. So while I wish this was not true and the day didn't come, it is a fact of life that you embrace and move forward on. I would only hope that whoever replaces Sue makes a name for herself and treats the franchise that Sue helped build, maintain, and sustain with the upmost class and dignity.

And for Sue, thank you for the years of being yourself and doing your job well. People going into the business should use you as one of their examples. You have touched many folks and shaped thousands lives through your years of service. If you retire, enjoy it! If you plan to stay in the business I am sure you will only accept a classy arrangement. But in all, good luck and best wishes on a healthy and happy life, you will always be remembered in my eyes. Thanks for allowing me to dream of the possibilities as a child.

Wish i was in NY tonight to see the legendary Sue Simmons signs off for the last time. I wonder if WCBS and WABC will also mention Sue leaving on their newscasts tonight. That would be real touching.

WNBC did weather early then went to messages from Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon.

Next Bruce did the Mets game highlights followed by thank you messages from various NY sports people.

They came back for a message from Brian Williams then another break.

In an unintentional tacky move they ran a Job Opportunities promo before the last segment coming back to Chuck who did an intro to a retrospective on Sue and give Sue the last comments.

Sue said in closing it's the end for her at WNBC but she hopes to be back on the air even if it's just once a week.

Archived