Sue Simmons is OUT

Daybreak

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least she'll have a chance to say goodbye...something many, many others have not had the chance to do. This begs the question, though...who succeeds her? First guess points to Shiba Russell, but then what do you do with her at noon? Also, she would probably only be seen by the viewers as a cheap Sue knock-off. They could go with Chuck anchoring solo at 11, but he's also 68; they're gonna need someone to replace him in a few years, anyway. I could tell you right now that Tom Llamas is not yet 11pm material.

No matter what, WNBC is going to suffer from this...the best thing they can do right now is give Sue a proper send-off. That will set the tone for the months after she leaves.

Wow that really is shocking.. Before reading the article I thought she just chose to retire.. I NEVER would have thought that this would happen..As for her replacement they have a few options:

1.) Shiba Russell and possibly give the Noon and 5pm spot to Either Erika Tarantal or Lynda Boquero

2.) Darlene Rodriguez and give the A.M. spot to Erika.

If anyone remembers a few years ago they had Darlene Rodriguez on at 11pm on Sunday nights..Maybe it was a test? Who Knows? But whoever gets the spot has pretty big shoes to fill..

Odd that they didn't give her the chance to let her retire... that said I can't say this is surprising.

I wonder what Chuck thinks about this? I'm sure Sue will turn up at another station in the market if she really wants to stay in the biz.

Anyway, let the speculation begin!

WNBC is taking a massive gamble here. This may backfire on them, and hard.

I'm not saying it out of anger, I'm just being realistic. The only thing going for that station these days is Chuck and Sue. Outside of that, they've really been decimated in almost every single way, and they really don't have an anchor team that can really step up and succeed those two. (Never say "replace".) And from what I've seen, they've been doing a lousy job building the station back up, with most of the moves blowing up in their face. (The I-Tem promo, the scrapped set, etc.)

Now, there have been contentious anchor changes in the past. And the stations have recovered from them. The greatest anchor team of all time (sorry, Chuck and Sue), Roger Grimsby and Bill Beutel, was even more roughly broken up in 1986, when Roger was fired. Channel 7 recovered nicely from that, thanks largely to programming moves. Everyone howled when Dana Tyler and Jim Rosenfield were displaced from the 11pm, but Chris Wragge and Kristine Johnson proved to be the tonic CBS 2 needed.

The problem is, though, that I don't think those teams were as popular, or as much the embodiment of the station, as Chuck and Sue are. Roger and Bill only did the 6pm news at that point, the 11 was Kaity Tong and Ernie Anastos - and 7 had a deep bench of anchors and reporters, since Kaity and then John Johnson slid in effortlessly to fill the gap. And Dana/Jim was never really hugely popular, I think. I don't see anyone who could adequately succeed those two at the station right now. That's a problem, because they should have been grooming successors long ago. And as we all know, we're in the social era - so I'm sure their facebook and twitter are being swamped with negative comments.

They can recover, and there's leadership on the corporate end that's willing to make it happen. But the station-level management seems to be a problem. They have a long road ahead.

I know they were two totally different situations but this kind of reminds me of the Roz Abrams scandal at Ch. 7 when she wanted the 11 p.m. but they gave it to Liz Cho. I think for WNBC sake they should find another anchor from another station or someone familiar with the market because nobody at WNBC has the "it" factor right now. They are trying hard but Shiba but she is too young. They need someone who is around 40 and up with alittle age for that spot.

Suggestions:

Asha Blake

Sandra Bookman

Maggie Rodriguez

Cindy Hsu

or bring in Pat Harvey from L.A.

Really sad to hear this.

As for a replacement why not Lynda Bacquero. She use to anchor the 6:00 news with Chuck. I don't know why they no longer have her at the anchor desk. She has been there much longer than Erika and Shiba.

While some may think this is stupid I think it might be better.. Chuck and Sue are the same age, they have been together for so long and that is why people watch them.. While they are both EXCELLENT anchors they work best together. It is no secret that Chuck will probably be on his way out in when his contract is up if not earlier. So what WNBC should have done is extended both of their contracts another year or so and have them both leave together..This way they can bring in..or promote..2 new people that will be there a while..Kind of like starting fresh..a new generation.. Because there is no point in trying to find someone that has chemistry with Chuck just to have him leave a few years later..But thats just my opinion.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wnbc-we-have-tremendous-respect-and-admiration-for-sue-simmons_b41335

We have tremendous respect and admiration for Sue Simmons [...] For decades, Sue has been a critical part of New York’s longest tenured anchor team in the city and has more than earned her iconic status. We have been engaged in ongoing conversations with Sue about her transition from WNBC and will continue to work with her on plans to celebrate her many contributions to WNBC and the New York market.

She should file an gender discrimination lawsuit. Her and Chuck are the same age, yet it's Sue that goes and Chuck gets signed on for three more years?

She has high Q ratings.....she has done her job well, viewers seem to enjoy her. A stupid, STUPID decision.

Speaking of anchors who have been treated poorly......a Sue and Jim Watkins anchor team at some other station (WCBS?)....now that would be something.

Well, Rosie O'Donnell just sold her house here in Chicago and her show is leaving Chicago too. She is moving back to New York. WNBC management has decided to team Chuck up with Rosie. Working alongside Barbara Walters on The View for less than a year has qualified her to be a top market news anchor. Good luck WNBC.

No not really..

Will they really replace Sue? Chuck anchored solo at 11 for most of the time Sue was out with her neck issues, and it was fine.

And although she was supposed to "ease her way back" into the 6 after she returned, she never did....

I'll miss her (especially around Groundhogs' Day) and how the station ended it was truly shabby.

They should do with Sue what WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh has done with Sally Wiggin. Sally is the face of 'TAE. Although I didn't (and still really don't) agree with station management's to move her off the evening broadcasts, they have made her the go to person for big interviews and such--so even though she's not anchoring, she still has a big presence on the early evening newscasts.

WNBC should be pursuing a similar set up with Sue.

Also I think Chuck should resign in solidarity with Sue.

I do agree that WNBC dropped the proverbial ball yet again in only renewing Chuck Scarborough and not Sue Simmons. Together they do not just define News 4 New York, they ARE it. Not right, and most certainly not fair.

As for possible successors, I agree about Cindy Hsu (thx Daybreak) from outside and Lynda Baquero (thx WABC) from within. I'm also thinking Cora-Ann Mihalik (late of 5/9) would also work for News 4, as far as local names go.

If WNBC is to bring in any name(s) from outside markets to anchor, especially from sister stations, which one(s) would you suggest?

The article mentioned how NBC was floating the decision a year ago. This was about the same time that rumors that Shiba would join WNBC and eventually did. So naturally, it would be Shiba as the replacement. WNBC is doing good in the mornings with Darlene and Michael, so I don't think they would move Darlene.

Adding to the list, why not Kaity Tong. Her talent is wasted on the weekends.

Well, unfortunately this has happened. Had a bad feeling this was coming. I will miss Sue Simmons tremendously. Been watching since I was ten years old. News 4 New York

is Chuck and Sue, and will never be the same after her departure. This stinks. Watch that newscast continue to tank after Simmons leaves.

I posess the following thoughts about this move by WNBC that can be summed up by the following word(s):

F***!!! Why? Or, in paraphrasing a popular internet meme: WNBC, Y U NO KEEP SUE?!

Archived