Fox Planning National Sports Network

Jess

• 1 month later...

Well, FS1 is launching tomorrow at 8AM, and one wonders, what's going to happen to Fox Soccer Plus? Since regular Fox Soccer is becoming FXX, what'll they do with Plus? Turn it into Fox Sports 3 (for parity with Sky Sports), or perhaps a new Fox Sports World?

Well, FS1 is launching tomorrow at 8AM, and one wonders, what's going to happen to Fox Soccer Plus? Since regular Fox Soccer is becoming FXX, what'll they do with Plus? Turn it into Fox Sports 3 (for parity with Sky Sports), or perhaps a new Fox Sports World?

Speed has been running a ticker that says that it's launching at 6AM, which matches up with their program lineup (Fox College Football Kickoff is the program for those wanting to DVR the switch).

And well, Speed will live .... in Canada, the Caribbean, and Peruto Rico at least

Apparently, while those who didn't sign up for FS1 will get subjected to an endless loop of archived reruns, a new international feed of Speed will aggregate FS1 and FS2's motorsports programming into the mix as well. Canada won't get FS1 because its legally and fundamentally a different channel (and only Speed was approved for carriage by the CRTC, not FS1). CBS Sports Network survives here only because it doesn't have enough major programming to compete with our domestic sports networks (thenagain, it doesn't have enough to really compete against American sports channels yet either), and more importantly, it was still technically the same channel.

I want to like the updated ticker, but I just can't/don't/won't.

They have another ticker that I saw that kind of looks like the old ESPNNEWS/TSN ticker. Is that the one you're referring to or the standard single bar Fox Sports ticker?

So what do you guys think of Fox Sports 1 so far?

They have another ticker that I saw that kind of looks like the old ESPNNEWS/TSN ticker. Is that the one you're referring to or the standard single bar Fox Sports ticker?

So what do you guys think of Fox Sports 1 so far?

I'm talking the white FS1/2 ticker. The standard blue one remains on the main network during baseball.

Eh, is it me, or do the FSL graphics seem a tad...bulky? Don't get me wrong, they're well executed and definitely feel unique, but I can't help but return to the word bulky when describing their graphics.

Anyone watching Fox Sports Live (FS1's answer to Sportscenter) tonight? How do you guys think it compares to Sportscenter?

Just curious.

Caught last night's premiere. Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole are pretty bad. Not sure how popular they were in Canada, but I can't see them catching on here in the US. Lots of flat jokes, awkward pauses and silence between the two.Seems like they are trying way too hard.

The panelists are ok, but FOX could have found a more diverse group given two of the panelists are former NFL players. As far as the other programs ; 1-on-1.., FOX College Football Kickoff and UFC, they are were all pretty good.

Caught last night's premiere. Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole are pretty bad. Not sure how popular they were in Canada, but I can't see them catching on here in the US. Lots of flat jokes, awkward pauses and silence between the two. Seems like they are trying way too hard.

Maybe there's an age divide or something, but I love the show for the same reasons. And they new guys have addressed the haters...

Caught last night's premiere. Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole are pretty bad. Not sure how popular they were in Canada, but I can't see them catching on here in the US. Lots of flat jokes, awkward pauses and silence between the two.Seems like they are trying way too hard.

The panelists are ok, but FOX could have found a more diverse group given two of the panelists are former NFL players. As far as the other programs ; 1-on-1.., FOX College Football Kickoff and UFC, they are were all pretty good.

They had a cult following; but they're probably still getting used to things....

I'll say this: they'll be popular with the expats, but will their late-night styled humor catch on with people who haven't heard of them?

Maybe there's an age divide or something, but I love the show for the same reasons. And they new guys have addressed the haters...

Age has nothing to do with it. There are ways to appeal to a younger audience without being childish in doing so. Yelling an 'NFL Preseason on FOX' promo at the top of your lungs is not funny. If the goal is to be 'the alternative' to the typical ESPN anchor then they failing pretty badly.

They had a cult following; but they're probably still getting used to things....

I'll say this: they'll be popular with the expats, but will their late-night styled humor catch on with people who haven't heard of them?

That's the sticking point here. Given that very few (non-Canadians) outside of Canada have heard of them, it probably would have been best to start off slow and build from there and not jump in head first, if you will.

I don't mind the Canadian guys too much.

What really blew my mind was that Fox Sports Live covered sports that aren't aired on Fox Sports (ie: EPL which is something that NBC now carries).

ESPN's handling of sports news coverage has gotten tiring for me lately (too much gossip, not enough actual sports coverage). I think a lot of people are in that boat and if Fox can market themselves as an alternative to ESPN by exploiting ESPN's current weaknesses, I think they could be a formidable opponent to ESPN.

If Fox Sports Live covers the NHL more than the usual 2 minutes that ESPN normally covers it, then I'm sold.

I don't mind the Canadian guys too much.

What really blew my mind was that Fox Sports Live covered sports that aren't aired on Fox Sports (ie: EPL which is something that NBC now carries).

ESPN's handling of sports news coverage has gotten tiring for me lately (too much gossip, not enough actual sports coverage). I think a lot of people are in that boat and if Fox can market themselves as an alternative to ESPN by exploiting ESPN's current weaknesses, I think they could be a formidable opponent to ESPN.

If Fox Sports Live covers the NHL more than the usual 2 minutes that ESPN normally covers it, then I'm sold.

They probably will, because unlike ESPN, they actually are involved in NHL broadcasting (well, primarily at the local level; FSN has quite a few teams on-board)

• 7 months later...
Eh, is it me, or do the FSL graphics seem a tad...bulky? Don't get me wrong, they're well executed and definitely feel unique, but I can't help but return to the word bulky when describing their graphics.

back during Super Bowl XLVIII (48) week, they replaced the heart shaped ticker with a ticker similar to the ticker they had until when FS1 launched, and they did slimed down the sidebar now that sidebar actually shows stories, what's next, etc. like what SportsCenter does

So far here's what's happened the College Football, and Basketball ratings didn't do too good on FS1, so far NASCAR has done pretty solid in the ratings department on FS1/2, in fact the truck races on Fox Sports 1 towards the end of last year actually beat Speed's ratings, so far Fox Sports 1 is beating Speed in terms of ratings, couple of things to note they did retool Fox Sports Live they are now more focused on highlights, and less on the panel, a morning version of FSL won't happen probably at least til The 2018 FIFA World Cup, maybe that's when The Morning Version of FSL premiers, another thing Regis will be stepping down eventually as the host of "Crowd Goes Wild" he's been cutting back on the role of being the host of that show since February, they did debut new graphics during Speedweeks, and then about 3 weeks ago FS1 did debut a new show called "MLB WHIP AROUND" that's the show which has a quick-turnaround highlights of games in progress, news and analysis, it's primarily hosted by Chris Meyers the host of NASCAR on Fox, they also eliminated the traveling stage they are no longer at the track every week, once TNT takes over NASCAR RaceDay and Victory Lane will be for 1 hour, and 30 minutes respectively, and done from Fox Sports1's Charlotte studios, during the Fox portion of the season it's hosted by Chris Meyers, Jeff Hammond, and Michael Walltrip. Once TNT takes over John Roberts, Kyle Petty, and Kenny Wallace will take over as hosts of RaceDay, and Victory Lane, and finally Fox Football Daily was cancelled, and was replaced by America's Pre-Game, hosted by Mike Hill, and Molly McGrath.

Archived