Linda Church moving to weekends

cbs2idiots

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My all time favorite is coming up on a milestone Birthday the big 50. She still looks like 38 and with a body to boot. Not too many 50 year olds in the New York Market looking like her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A somewhat historic event will occur this Saturday 6/12. Our own #1 New York Morning weather women Linda Church offically turns the big 50!!. This is confirmed officially by a little birdie that works at the NY State DMV. LindaL l.( Church) Dolan DOB, 6/12/1960.She can now join AARP and Wikipedia can be officially corrected. She is with out question the youngest looking 50 year old women on the local News. From her many fans in the New York Metro area Happy Birthday! Try to name another 50 year old as hot as she is try even to name a 50 year old still in the business.

List of women New York Market News personalities 50 and over. Read article about age discrimination at WPIX in Daily News. Will need help.

Linda Church

Rosanna Scotto

Jane Hanson

Kaity Tong

Sue Simmons

Linda Schmidt ?

Diana Williams ?

Dana Tyler

Cora-Ann Mahalik

Brenda Blackmon

I think the age discrimination is true at WPIX. This is not the first time this has been brought up. A perfect example was the the firing of Pauline Liu and Rosemary Gomez a while back.

I bet Craig Treadway was moved into the field and the new young guy was given the anchoring slot for the same reason.

It's a shame that that looks outweigh talent.

I think the age discrimination is true at WPIX. This is not the first time this has been brought up. A perfect example was the the firing of Pauline Liu and Rosemary Gomez a while back.

I bet Craig Treadway was moved into the field and the new young guy was given the anchoring slot for the same reason.

It's a shame that that looks outweigh talent.

maybe this is explains Mary Murphy not anchoring and Jim Watkins possibly leaving?? are they above 50?

maybe this is explains Mary Murphy not anchoring and Jim Watkins possibly leaving?? are they above 50?

I think so. Especially for Mary, I mean her replacement is a younger person. Mary did hint of the idea of age discrimination when she did an interview with the Daily News a couple of weeks after she was removed from the anchoring slot.

It can be also be debated that since she is a strong reporter, maybe WPIX wanted her in the field, but I don't see her much these days, even her PIX Investigates stories seems to have diminished.

And for Marvin, he used to report on almost every weeknight, but it seems they have diminished his role to more on the weekends.

This article from 2009 ads proof to the over 50 anchors being pushed out,

RICHARD HUFF

Friday, December 4th 2009, 4:00 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/12/04/2009-12-04_murphys_law_of_experience.html#ixzz0r2ju5ZpE

"Two months ago, Murphy, 50, was moved off a weekend anchor and reporting slot to head up the station's investigative unit, where she's now juggling multiple stories."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/12/04/2009-12-04_murphys_law_of_experience.html#ixzz0r2jPjKOl

Does that not sound similar to the complaint that people were given more work to try and force them to quit?

I guess those over 45 or 50 at PIX TV News are in the Hot Seat. Kaity Tong, Mary Murphy, Linda Church

TV reporters reluctant to reveal age, fearful that experience could be used against them

Richard Huff

Want to see TV news people scatter faster than cockroaches at an exterminators convention?

Ask them about their ages.

In an interview here in late 2003, Kaity Tong dodged age questions. She later called back to whisper the number - then 52. She's 59 now, according to an age-discrimination lawsuit recently filed by former news director Karen Scott.

Given Tong's reluctance to discuss her age, it's a safe bet that neither she nor the others whose ages were disclosed were happy about it either.

One veteran local correspondent this week said he desperately tries to keep his age hidden, fearing it would put him on the endangered list.

That's because age is a touchy issue in TV news. Once considered an asset, longevity today can be a detriment.

"Age discrimination is the dirty little secret of TV news," says Stu Nicholson, who spent 22 years on TV until his deal wasn't renewed by a station in Columbus, Ohio.

"I was replaced by an early-twentysomething who barely had over a year of experience in news, and that came from working in a [small] market in rural Texas," he said.

Matt Stevens spent 28 years on TV until his last gig as a senior correspondent at WOIO-TV in Cleveland was eliminated.

He's since focused writing online at his "The Over 50 TV Talent Blog."

Stevens was making $132,000 a year when he and a handful of others were cut as the economy dropped. He's been unable to land a TV job near his old salary.

"They also figure quality and experience don't mean as much as good promotion and titillation," Stevens said. "So they go for the young, cheap blonds and figure no one respects TV news in general anymore, so no one will really notice."

"I don't worry about my age," said one local TV man. "However, I think with men it's very different. With women it used to be younger is deemed better. I think that's changing, but hasn't quite changed all the way yet. This is still a business where looks are heavily scrutinized."

That, of course, hangs like a backdrop over the business.

"I don't know what the magic age is, but I would have to say, based upon what I've seen, maybe 40 or 45," said one local on-air correspondent. "I've never had a problem talking about my age, but maybe that's a mistake."

The correspondent also admits that it helps that he looks younger than his age.

Older is often seen as better, more trustworthy, but that experience comes at a price. Swapping a veteran for a younger reporter can help the bottom line. And in most cases, the shift in viewership is not large enough to make bean counters think twice.

Which, of course, is why some local news staffers guard their ages the way KFC shields its extra-crispy recipe.

"Age should not matter," notes reader Teresa Ayala. "It is the experience they bring and the comfort level of seeing that familiar face that makes seeing and hearing the news a lot easier."

[email protected]

Anyone else find it weird that the photo caption in that picture says: "Kaity Tong is embroiled in a lawsuit against WPIX claiming that she and other veteran anchors were fired because of their age."?? Was that a careless editor?

About two months ago one of the threads talked about Lisa Murphy moving to anchor weekends and Christina Park moving to weekdays 4:30am to 7am but that never happened.

Was that just a rumor or did FOX5 change their minds on that?

Archived