BREAKING: Tribune pulls Channels from Cablevision

nynewslover

As of 12:01 (I would assume) tribune has pulled all it's channels off Cablevision including PIX11.. In the meantime Cablevision is showing a preview of the new style network in the Ch11 slot with a scroll on the bottom of the screen explaining the situation.. I guess they're ratings will be even lower now?

What's funny about Tribune's stations being pulled from Cablevision is that it occurred hours after that the same provider had finally ended its stalemate with NFL Network. BTW, this retrans impasse also affects WPHL/Philadelphia, WCCT/Hartford and KWGN/Denver on their New Jersey, Connecticut and Colorado systems, respectively. Cablevision is alleging that the investment firms that have attained control of Tribune after its reorganization plan was approved in court last month are demanding higher retrans fees to help accrue enough cash to help claw the company's way out of bankruptcy.

BTW, this retrans impasse also affects WPHL/Philadelphia, WCCT/Hartford and KWGN/Denver on their New Jersey, Connecticut and Colorado systems, respectively.

A. We do not have Cablevision is the Denver market. We have Comcast and CenturyLink. But since CenturyLink has outdated equipment that doesn't service customers very good internet, Comcast pretty much has a monopoly here. B. Are we talking about Cablevision in northern Colorado, the FoCo area?

A. We do not have Cablevision is the Denver market. We have Comcast and CenturyLink. But since CenturyLink has outdated equipment that doesn't service customers very good internet, Comcast pretty much has a monopoly here. B. Are we talking about Cablevision in northern Colorado, the FoCo area?

He is referring to Optimum West (is what CV calls it) which was formally Bresnan Cable.

This is why I switched to FiOS long ago, too many retransmission issues to deal with its ridiculous. Verizon has yet to have an issue as such, sure its more expensive than cable but the product they give you is far more superior, faster, and just way better.. And I signed another two year agreement with them, and i'm pretty content, sure the prices are higher than most services but its totally worth it.

This is why I switched to FiOS long ago, too many retransmission issues to deal with its ridiculous. Verizon has yet to have an issue as such, sure its more expensive than cable but the product they give you is far more superior, faster, and just way better.. And I signed another two year agreement with them, and i'm pretty content, sure the prices are higher than most services but its totally worth it.

I have cablevision and was talking to a Verizon contractor about it and he said its bound to happen on every service eventually. You gotta remember Verizon hasn't been around near as long as cablevision therefore the contracts btwn them and the networks aren't expiring just yet.

Does anyone miss WPIX? I sure don't. Especially the news department.

When I was at work during the weekend, the TV was on "the station which the last three of its call letters rhymes with p!&@" (It was on Dish), there was a segment where Jay Dow (who my co-workers think he has a awful "serious face") asked a person to show him his handgun that the person was bringing in to cash in. After the gun was shown, I walked out of the room

In reality, the man was hiding his face not because he was carrying a gun, but he was on "the station which the last three of its call letters rhymes with p!&@"

Update: I know PIX is pronounced as "picks", but the way their newscasts has been, "p!&@" sounds better.

When I was at work during the weekend, the TV was on "the station which the last three of its call letters rhymes with p!&@" (It was on Dish), there was a segment where Jay Dow (who my co-workers think he has a awful "serious face") asked a person to show him his handgun that the person was bringing in to cash in. After the gun was shown, I walked out of the room

In reality, the man was hiding his face not because he was carrying a gun, but he was on "the station which the last three of its call letters rhymes with p!&@"

Update: I know PIX is pronounced as "picks", but the way their newscasts has been, "p!&@" sounds better.

PIX stands for Picture when Daily News owned the station. Second, I heard Cox cable has pulled WPIX off their lineup.

I have a question. From what I'm hearing the executives at CW are flipping out because the new fall shows debut soon.. Tribune operates PIX correct? So couldn't CW put a channel on Cablevision and just air their own shows and programming? Or would there be a problem with that since they are affiliated with PIX? Also could CW break their affiliation with PIX and then affiliate the channel with someone else and allow them to produce a newscast and local programming on all providers?

I have a question. From what I'm hearing the executives at CW are flipping out because the new fall shows debut soon.. Tribune operates PIX correct? So couldn't CW put a channel on Cablevision and just air their own shows and programming? Or would there be a problem with that since they are affiliated with PIX? Also could CW break their affiliation with PIX and then affiliate the channel with someone else and allow them to produce a newscast and local programming on all providers?

CW has a long-term affiliation contract with Tribune that doesn't expire until 2016. While I imagine neither party is happy with each other at this point, they can't just move the affiliation.

Maybe they make alternative arrangements if this goes on a long time (which, given who's involved, is entirely possible), but they'd have to go through Tribune and I don't see that happening. If they were to just decide to move CW programming to, say, WLNY without telling Tribune, congratulations, you've breached the contract and lost carriage in eleven other markets. Also, I doubt not having the WPIX news is a major concern to just about anyone. The market is saturated, oh, and their news is crap.

Somewhat related, WPHL is part of this mess and has also been pulled off Cablevision, so they're also running the "get us back on Cablevision" stuff. Given that this is literally Comcast Country, it initially seemed hilarious that they were going for fringe viewership - until I noticed that Cablevision actually covers a large swath of the Central Jersey area that's claimed by both markets. (Though I don't think they serve an all-Philadelphia market.)

Same subject, different subscriber.

In the Meriden, CT area, Cox Communications pulled WPIX from the lineup on August 17. It was the only New York City station in the lineup until 12:00 am that day.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/cablevision-tribune-spat-leaves-cox-subscribers-without-wpix-tv/2012-08-20

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest off the web about the retrans fiasco between Tribune and Cablevision, and judging by what I've read, it's not looking good...for WPIX.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/pix_isn_missed_JJFSSUUIO1uFsD2816WyFL

http://www.northjersey.com/news/171095171_WPIX-Cablevision_dispute_draws_big_yawn.html

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059514

More bad news for WPIX, concerning their 10 p.m. "news," which, according to this article, has seen a 42 percent decline in viewership from this time last year since the retrans stalemate began.

But then again, subtract 42 percent from, not a lot of people watching in the first place....

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/184390/wpix-news-ratings-fall-precipitously-during-blacko.html

• 2 weeks later...

The following article from TVPredictions.com is actually from ten days ago, and it repeats much of what is said in previous articles I read, but I agree with what is said in it.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/providers100412.htm

What is actually so SAD and PATHETIC is that WPIX believes that it actually has any leverage in this dispute. The folks running the joint are living in a fantasy land.

"Seinfeld" reruns? Tune to TBS.

CW programming? Online at www.cwtv.com.

Local news? Plenty of options here in America's largest market.

I am not necessarily siding with Cablevision, but let's be honest. This is a dispute that Tribune has lost. They need to suck it up and put their stations back on the system before they end up killing them.

They need to suck it up and put their stations back on the system before they end up killing them.

"Killing them" seems a little strong. Tribune owns 26 broadcast properties (23 broadcast stations, two cable channels they own outright plus a minority ownership interest in Food Network), only six of these are affected by the dispute: WPIX, WPHL, KWGN, WGN America and the Hartford duopoly of WTIC and WCCT. The affected stations are only in the New York-New Jersey service areas and its Optimum West service area in Colorado, so the rest of the Tribune television properties outside those six aren't affected. But yes, they need to settle this soon, especially if WPIX has any hope of engineering a turnaround of its newscasts now that Bill Carey's gone as news director, if their newscasts do get revamped, they need as many eyeballs on the screen possible and about 3 million New Yorkers can't get WPIX right now if they're Cablevision subscribers. Besides, I don't think The CW is taking to kindly to the fact that their largest affiliate isn't available in parts of America's largest market; even though two of their new shows did do well this past week without WPIX's absence from Cablevision affecting ratings.

Archived