KGTV newsroom remodel and new set coming soon?

A3N

Stumbled across this today, but KGTV along with its sister station WRTV Indy are getting their newsrooms remodeled. It was way overdue, as I have mentioned before, they had a 10 news logo tacked on the wall from the early 90's (it was quite visible during live reports from the newsroom). In the slideshow posted on their site, there are pictures of the tearing down of desks, carpeting, etc. But what was interesting, in picture #4, the backdrop shows some blue pillars similar to that of WPTV. Those were not there before. The pillars look to be in another studio at KGTV (there are 2 studios), previously it was used as their main set before they got their current black walnut [set] in 2006.

edit: my mistake, in seeing pictures from their 2003 set, the pillars/framing was there but now obviously it was more visible, also when they stopped using that set, the desk was taken out and donated to a local college, but the area was used for other purposes. So in essence, a few months ago, that space was not this clean.

Edit II: In seeing other pictures, it seems like everything has been gutted including the former set, and anchor Steve Atkinson mentioned that they would be in a temporary trailer (being used as the newsroom) for two months.

http://www.10news.co...241/detail.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm...so now we know that Scripps (in a way) is sort of pulling a Comcast and investing some serious money to their stations.

So virtually in order now, that's WXYZ, KJRH, WPTV, WRTV, WEWS, and now KGTV. That's six of their nine stations, which only leaves WCPO (idk what their looks like/how fresh it is), KSHB (who doesn't really need one) and WMAR (who needs it worst of all).

Hmmmm...so now we know that Scripps (in a way) is sort of pulling a Comcast and investing some serious money to their stations.

So virtually in order now, that's WXYZ, KJRH, WPTV, WRTV, WEWS, and now KGTV. That's six of their nine stations, which only leaves WCPO (idk what their looks like/how fresh it is), KSHB (who doesn't really need one) and WMAR (who needs it worst of all).

And KERO too.

Maybe it was planned before the sale? The only reason that makes me think that's a possibility is because KMGH completely gutted and refurbished their newsroom last summer (and looks very nice now).

Hard to say, but McGraw-Hill was known to be a penny pinching company and did not want to invest [too much] into their stations. Which would explain why the newsrooms looked so old and banged up. How KGMH got the parent company to pony the money to do a newsroom remodel, is beyond me. That being said, the group was put up for sale in June of 2011, so who knows if the renovation(s) were in the works before the sale. When Scripps took over, there was an interview with one of the Scripps honchos and he mentioned that the newly acquired stations needed quite a bit of investment in equipment and facility maintenance to bring them up to par, so this just might be part of that.

Wow. So is Scripps so "broke" that they've decided to just standardize EVERYTHING? Sets, music, graphics, all that bs? Just like Fox? Holy Hell...

and I still don't see the point of having the Scripps logo on there. It's HUGE on that WEWS set! They're essentially saying "you're our b!tch and do what we say."

Also now, upon seeing the photos that they posted, I really don't think that KSHB and KJRH, much less WXYZ, are going to have anything done to them now for a verrrryyyy long while. While KSHB's set is the oldest of those three, they just had all of their printed set graphics replaced last February when they re-branded and started using their call letters again on air. The only thing that really matches is the orange. WXYZ had theirs refreshed last year or the year before I believe and KJRH's was totally rebuilt around a year and a half ago.

At least there's some variety...I can't imagine though how that damn Scripps logo will look on air on that interview set!

• 1 year later...

So just to bump an old thread...Almost a year after remodeling their newsroom, KGTV is in the process of getting a new set. They're on a temp set right now which is tucked away in a corner where their interview set is/was located. I'll try to post some pics later.

Wow that set was younger than KFMB's set. 10 News must be making bucks then after all that union mess they were thru and lost lots of money on advertisers and reporters/anchors. I'm guessing City College will be getting dibs on the news desk since they have good ties with KGTV. They already got the 80's desk and the recent BDI refresh desk. Might as well.

Wow that set was younger than KFMB's set. 10 News must be making bucks then after all that union mess they were thru and lost lots of money on advertisers and reporters/anchors. I'm guessing City College will be getting dibs on the news desk since they have good ties with KGTV. They already got the 80's desk and the recent BDI refresh desk. Might as well.

KGTV's set was installed in 2006 and KFMB's set was done in 2007, I believe. Either way, they must be doing well to justify a new set.

Sorry. I should have added "probably", It's a hunch. A good one too.

To be honest, KMGH and WRTV needed new sets more badly than KGTV did. Even though the set was 7 years old, it still looked really good. I suspect this new set has to do more with trying to get more viewers from KFMB, since both stations have been neck and neck at 11pm.

And, it seems like there are now four flagships in the Scripps group. You've got WEWS, WCPO (since Scripps is based in Cincy, one wonders why WCPO hasn't moved in with them yet), KGTV (thanks to the founding family's strong ties in the city), and KMGH (not sure if it counts, since it's the ex-flagship of McGraw-Hill, and honestly, I only know them making school textbooks and stuff, so how'd they get into broadcasting?).

And, it seems like there are now four flagships in the Scripps group. You've got WEWS, WCPO (since Scripps is based in Cincy, one wonders why WCPO hasn't moved in with them yet), KGTV (thanks to the founding family's strong ties in the city), and KMGH (not sure if it counts, since it's the ex-flagship of McGraw-Hill, and honestly, I only know them making school textbooks and stuff, so how'd they get into broadcasting?).

MGH got into broadcasting in the 1970s, for whatever reason, at the time they felt it was a wothy investment. I will say that Scripps has really been pouring money into KGTV and I will go out on a limb and say more than most of the other Scripps stations. Last year they remodeled their newsroom, and since Scripps took over, they've hired at least 8-9 reporters ( while getting rid of some along the way). I'm curious to see if the new set will be the Scripps standardized design, or if they go with something different.

MGH got into broadcasting in the 1970s, for whatever reason, at the time they felt it was a wothy investment. I will say that Scripps has really been pouring money into KGTV and I will go out on a limb and say more than most of the other Scripps stations. Last year they remodeled their newsroom, and since Scripps took over, they've hired at least 8-9 reporters ( while getting rid of some along the way). I'm curious to see if the new set will be the Scripps standardized design, or if they go with something different.

Scripps doesn't really have a standardized design though. KJRH, WPTV and WEWS were the last three Scripps stations to get new sets. WEWS's has elements of WPTV, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they're totally similar. KJRH's doesn't even match theirs at all.

But you're still right, it will be interesting. If it looks like 'PTV's and 'EWS's, then maybe we could see as similar design, (which is only mediocre to me), going to all their stations. If not, then hooray! Some individuality really does still remain!

Scripps doesn't really have a standardized design though. KJRH, WPTV and WEWS were the last three Scripps stations to get new sets. WEWS's has elements of WPTV, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they're totally similar. KJRH's doesn't even match theirs at all.

But you're still right, it will be interesting. If it looks like 'PTV's and 'EWS's, then maybe we could see as similar design, (which is only mediocre to me), going to all their stations. If not, then hooray! Some individuality really does still remain!

The set KJRH received was an FX design that was also used at KERO-TV when Scripps upgraded that station recently last year, whereas WPTV and WEWS' sets were from BDI (which I'm guessing is designing KGTV's new set since they are a local company down there).

Well standardized to the extent that Scripps probably wants certain elements of the sets to be the same or similar. I.E. Desk, weather center, etc.

The set KJRH received was an FX design that was also used at KERO-TV when Scripps upgraded that station recently last year, whereas WPTV and WEWS' sets were from BDI (which I'm guessing is designing KGTV's new set since they are a local company down there).

You are correct. KJRH and KERO's sets were most likely cheaper, thus Scripps went with FX. Also, Scripps is not going to invest as much in its smaller market stations compared to the bigger ones. I also agree with TennTV in that BDI is most likely designing/building KGTV's new set.

Archived