KGTV newsroom remodel and new set coming soon?

A3N

The set KJRH received was an FX design that was also used at KERO-TV when Scripps upgraded that station recently last year, whereas WPTV and WEWS' sets were from BDI (which I'm guessing is designing KGTV's new set since they are a local company down there).

I totally forgot about KERO.

Well then. This is interesting and I'm surprised I never noticed it earlier. Scripps sort of does have mandated sets, but of two variations. I'll have to go back and look at WPTV's and WEWS's sets again, but I wasn't really impressed with them. WCPO, KSHB and especially WMAR (them first) will be or are due for an upgrade in the next few years. I'm paranoid that any new set they get, save WMAR, will be a downgrade.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally forgot about KERO.

Well then. This is interesting and I'm surprised I never noticed it earlier. Scripps sort of does have mandated sets, but of two variations. I'll have to go back and look at WPTV's and WEWS's sets again, but I wasn't really impressed with them. WCPO, KSHB and especially WMAR (them first) will be or are due for an upgrade in the next few years. I'm paranoid that any new set they get, save WMAR, will be a downgrade.

Although it would be nice if they got a new set (they've had the same one since maybe around 2003, it's an FX set, the only modification being made in 2008 when they replaced the window on the newsroom with a duratran), I wouldn't hold my breath. WMAR is such an embarrassment to Scripps with hardly any reporters (most of them are photog-turned MMJs, not the ones fresh out of college many stations have been hiring lately), no Saturday newscasts, and poor ratings (often getting beat by even WBFF). I wish Sinclair found a way to buy the station. I can only imagine what would've happened if they actually got the station in 1991 instead of Scripps...

Slightly off topic, but wouldn't be amazing if KNSD, KUSI, or XETV also decided to get a new set at this time? I know it's not happening but I feel like it's already cool that two are doing it at once.

You are correct. KJRH and KERO's sets were most likely cheaper, thus Scripps went with FX. Also, Scripps is not going to invest as much in its smaller market stations compared to the bigger ones. I also agree with TennTV in that BDI is most likely designing/building KGTV's new set.

FX is considered cheap? Really? They've put out some really nice looking sets before, so I never really associated them with cheapness. KSHB's set is from FX and has aged quite nicely. If anything, the work BDI did with WEWS and WPTV is what I would consider cheap...

FX is considered cheap? Really? They've put out some really nice looking sets before, so I never really associated them with cheapness. KSHB's set is from FX and has aged quite nicely. If anything, the work BDI did with WEWS and WPTV is what I would consider cheap...

Have you not seen how plain KJRH and KERO's sets are? Do you think that FX will charge the same price for those sets as opposed to some more of their elaborate sets? Like I said, Scripps went FX with those stations because the sets were cheaper (money), whether they look cheap is subjective.

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out that KGTV is using security cams as their main cameras while they're on a temp set. I have never seen this done before, pretty ingenious if I might say. Of course there are some limitations to what they can do with them, but the PQ is not that bad.

You can see them here:

https://twitter.com/10NewsPhillips/status/386739109881839616/photo/1/large

So it turns out that KGTV is using security cams as their main cameras while they're on a temp set. I have never seen this done before, pretty ingenious if I might say. Of course there are some limitations to what they can do with them, but the PQ is not that bad.

You can see them here:

https://twitter.com/10NewsPhillips/status/386739109881839616/photo/1/large

The cameras look like the Panasonic AW-HE60, an integrated pan/tilt/zoom HD camera, so it's a bit more sophisticated than a security camera. This is the first time I've seen them in a studio setting; these are mainly used in videoconference rooms and places like courtrooms and government chambers. Wouldn't be shocked if these PTZ cameras migrated to the new studio or in the newsroom once they're done using the temporary set.

The cameras look like the Panasonic AW-HE60, an integrated pan/tilt/zoom HD camera, so it's a bit more sophisticated than a security camera. This is the first time I've seen them in a studio setting; these are mainly used in videoconference rooms and places like courtrooms and government chambers. Wouldn't be shocked if these PTZ cameras migrated to the new studio or in the newsroom once they're done using the temporary set.

Hmm interesting. They could surely use these as their skycams that they have around town.

My god how cheap. They couldn't even makeshift a proper prompter...

How do they look reading the prompter since the camera is well above?

It looks like they are semi looking down. KUSI's set up is exactly like that.

• 2 weeks later...

They just showed some renderings of KGTV's new set, and boy it looks nice. It looks very open and the desk is a bit smaller, lots of monitors and it looks very modern. I can definitely say that they will not be getting the Scripps set in a can, and they mentioned that the new set was going to be delivered this Monday from the East Coast.

They just showed some renderings of KGTV's new set, and boy it looks nice. It looks very open and the desk is a bit smaller, lots of monitors and it looks very modern. I can definitely say that they will not be getting the Scripps set in a can, and they mentioned that the new set was going to be delivered this Monday from the East Coast.

I saw the renderings. KGTVs set looks like it will be the best in the market!

Lol, KGTV is really excited about their new "state of the art" set. Now that the set has been delivered, they seem to be showering the progress everyday. It's really coming along. For only being delivered yesterday, the desk is set and it seems most of the perimeter facade are in place. I'm sure there will be more to come at this rate.

Lol, KGTV is really excited about their new "state of the art" set. Now that the set has been delivered, they seem to be showering the progress everyday. It's really coming along. For only being delivered yesterday, the desk is set and it seems most of the perimeter facade are in place. I'm sure there will be more to come at this rate.

These pics are from a producer at KGTV:

https://twitter.com/SDNewsBoy/status/393100788890734593/photo/1/large

https://twitter.com/SDNewsBoy/status/393100688797876224/photo/1/large

https://twitter.com/SDNewsBoy/status/393099937237307392/photo/1/large

It was mentioned in the 11am newscast that the studio arrived on Monday from Pittsburgh, and looking around the web it looks like it could be a Park Place Studio set. Park Place Studio is located in Pittsburgh... Also, just by looking at it, it shouldn't take more than a week at the most to assemble the new set. A majority of the set are those plexiglass wall/panels (which could quickly be assembled) and of course the monitors.

It was mentioned in the 11am newscast that the studio arrived on Monday from Pittsburgh, and looking around the web it looks like it could be a Park Place Studio set. Park Place Studio is located in Pittsburgh... Also, just by looking at it, it shouldn't take more than a week at the most to assemble the new set. A majority of the set are those plexiglass wall/panels (which could quickly be assembled) and of course the monitors.

Just in time for sweeps. You're always so insightful.

Sure hope those panels light up -- or else they look like drapery in a hospital room.

Sure hope those panels light up -- or else they look like drapery in a hospital room.

I believe they do, they were lit up in blue and orange in the renderings. They showed some footage of the new set construction on Wednesday and all the panels were assembled and in place.

Whoa. Well now we know that Scripps doesn't seem to be enforcing some type of semi-set mandate. Anywho, I think it looks fine. After seeing the construction photos it looks as if it's REALLY easy to construct, but also very, very plain aside from the fact that it can light up and change colors.

Whoa. Well now we know that Scripps doesn't seem to be enforcing some type of semi-set mandate. Anywho, I think it looks fine. After seeing the construction photos it looks as if it's REALLY easy to construct, but also very, very plain aside from the fact that it can light up and change colors.

I for sure thought they were going with the Scripps designed set, but I was wrong. Not sure if Scripps is allowing KGTV to do its own thing or if they decided not to continue using BDI to build them sets. I saw a few pictures on twitter the other day and set looks like its done. In fact in one of the pictures they were testing out the 3x3 monitor board and colored panels on the right hand side.

I for sure thought they were going with the Scripps designed set, but I was wrong. Not sure if Scripps is allowing KGTV to do its own thing or if they decided not to continue using BDI to build them sets. I saw a few pictures on twitter the other day and set looks like its done. In fact in one of the pictures they were testing out the 3x3 monitor board and colored panels on the right hand side.

I actually don't think that Scripps will go for a universal set look for their stations. For one thing, if they were going to do that, then the three stations that received sets after WPTV probably would've looked like theirs.

Anywho, I will reserve final judgement on the set until I actually see it in action.

Archived