CBS 3 newscasts today being done from a diffrent studio

JULIUS

I noticed that the 5-7 AM newscast and the news that aired, after football and the 11 PM news yesterday, as well as the 6-9 AM news today. was done from a different studio, instead of their usual studio from where they do the newscasts. Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on here?

Haha you're not a fan of the set? I don't think it's THAT bad.

The set probably isn't that bad, but I've never warmed to it. I can't stand the blurry-as-hell rear projection screens. I never liked how the interview and standup areas looked nothing - NOTHING - like the main set. I didn't like how they just ported over the old set's weather center, emasculating it in the process. I never liked either desk. It looked safe, boring, staid - nothing like the two sets prior to that. Doesn't help that it's been eclipsed by two stellar sets - and hell, I even think 29's sets are better. (Hell, I think 3's TEMPORARY SET is better than what they had.)

Honestly, I never liked any aspect of that 2007 look. The graphics were meh to me - I actually think the CBS O&O look was a tremendous improvement, the irritating loop they called a theme was atrocious, and the set just seemed like a step back from what they had. It's personal preference, I know, but it just... I didn't really like it.

Of course I'm expecting an overload of bright blue and white that will overload my senses and not look good with the O&O graphics, just like the other sets CBS has recently implemented.

Thoughts of the temp set: It's alright. The temp set seems appropriate for them:

Thoughts of the old set: It was nice when it was newly built in 2007. Entering 2010, at least for me, it was starting to look dated.

So it was nice to see them building a new set. I wonder if KYW is going to follow most of the newer sets out there with the "windowed" look behind the desk...

I saw five seconds of it.

First, not a set opinion, but really whoever thought Having Diana Rocco co-anchor really, I mean, really needs to not make staffing decisions. Watching her alongside Chris May the last few days has been physically painful.

That's kind of why I only saw five seconds of set. Well, that and the fact that there was a perfectly fine newscast on channel 10. (And an urgent design project.)

First impression: this is the set I'd have liked to see in 2007. Unfortunately, it's 2012.

It looks like it's some of the same issues I had with the old set just with huge rear projection screens.

Again, still early. We'll see tonight.

I saw five seconds of it.

First, not a set opinion, but really whoever thought Having Diana Rocco co-anchor really, I mean, really needs to not make staffing decisions. Watching her alongside Chris May the last few days has been physically painful.

That's kind of why I only saw five seconds of set. Well, that and the fact that there was a perfectly fine newscast on channel 10. (And an urgent design project.)

What did CBS3 do to you? Did they hurt you?

What did CBS3 do to you? Did they hurt you?

Dude, no. I'm sorry if I went a bit too hyperbolic but I'm not really whining about them changing a logo or going standardized with their graphics or anything. I try to be a little more thoughtful when I talk about newscasts, but I don't take them, nor myself, that seriously. My avatar should be a good example of that.

Maybe she isn't physically painful, but I'm finding it really, really, really hard to watch her anchor. It's not that I don't like her style (though it's not good), it's just that... by all appearances she is just really bad at anchoring a newscast. She has no variance in her delivery, so her words seem to blend together into a monotonous stream. She's not good at setting tones for stories, she stumbles over cues, and just looks lost at that desk.

When you get to market number 4, it's generally assumed that you are fairly skilled at reading the news. This market has had an influx of young talent recently, but for the most part they can handle a newscast. I think the junior team at 6 is fine, and Brian Taff in particular seems skilled beyond his years. 10 has had Jillian Mele in the anchor role for their morning and midday newscasts, and she does a nice job. Even people who I don't like, I don't like more for their style than their abilities. Drayton's never been able to feel sincere to me, and Chris May has absolutely legitimate anchoring chops but is a bit too dry for my liking.

Diana... just isn't at that level. She simply doesn't seem qualified to anchor the 6pm and 11pm newscasts on the CBS station in the fourth largest market. Why they're putting her in this position is literally beyond me.

So yeah. Maybe she isn't causing me physical pain, but she's hard to watch.

Since I probably needed to be working on my project an hour ago, I'm only going to offer this one word on the set:

Clusterf*ck.

If you all say that this set looks like what it was back in '07, then prove it. Please show a pic of the last set.

Here's a gallery of the '07 set from Triborough's Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/triborough/475012811/in/photostream/

Looking at the refreshed set and comparing it with the original, the bones of the set are practically the same except all of the wood paneling has been replaced with blue duratrans.

If you all say that this set looks like what it was back in '07, then prove it. Please show a pic of the last set.

You must not be able to read cause he clearly said the set looks like what it should have looked like in '07. Big difference bro.

Archived