WFMY New graphics

nhmediaguy

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL poor Gannett! They just do not seem to be able to make a graphics look that people like or is in any way practical. Maybe hopefully they'll make some changes before they unveil it to any of their other stations.

You know, I've always wondered why each station couldn't just ask the hub for a custom-made package? That way, you can still have numerous localized looks, yet still require just one hub.

You know, I've always wondered why each station couldn't just ask the hub for a custom-made package? That way, you can still have numerous localized looks, yet still require just one hub.

I think probably because they would still have to pay a lot more money to have multiple different looking graphic packages for who knows how many stations, compared to just one uniformed look for all of them.

Once again, with this whole "transition-to-letterbox-HD-broadcasting-format" thing, WHY don't these people tell their local television providers that they will be switching to a letterbox format and to make the proper adjustments by a said date and time? It makes no sense to relaunch in letterbox and THEN tell them, forcing people to have to wait up to two weeks before changes are made.

After watching some of KUSA's stream last night via the Apple TV, I have to admit - I am beginning to absolutely adore this look. While there are flashier, and arguably prettier graphics packages, I don't think I've seen anything as fundamentally well-designed as the new Gannett graphics. Other station groups and yes, even some of the networks, should look at this and take notice.

LOL poor Gannett! They just do not seem to be able to make a graphics look that people like or is in any way practical. Maybe hopefully they'll make some changes before they unveil it to any of their other stations.

Here's the thing - these may be the most practical graphics I've ever seen! G3 clearly didn't design these to look flashy - they designed these to display information on screen in a readable, legible format that can be easily understood by everybody. You can never go wrong with DIN as your font. Black should be utilized far more in motion design. And the color coding is a fantastic idea borrowed from the spot-on redesign of USA Today.

I like that this package has aligned and spaced everything properly, and they chose a nice typeface and color palette. These are some issues issues that most graphics packages seem to ignore (see also the previous Gannett package).

THIS.

One of the fundamental concepts in web design (print as well, but I work in web so I'll use that) is the grid. Basically, modern websites are split into some even number of columns - usually its 12-16 - with some "gutter space" between each. Designers use this to lay out their designs. It's really tough to explain, so I'll link to this article on Opera that does a damn good job of explaining it with images. Typography, image sizes, and spacing are all developed to enhance the grid and provide a natural "flow" between the elements.

This is the first TV graphics package I've ever seen that is clearly designed with the grid design philosophy in mind. It doesn't seem to narrow into a precise grid in Photoshop, but the elements are clearly designed with that type of symmetry and proportion in mind. Every element, for example, matches the InfoBar's width - no shorter, no longer. Type is proportioned to match it and space properly. Even the WEATHER PRESENTATION is designed with these proportions. (And quite frankly, it might be the best looking weather presentation I've seen in a long time!)

Anyone can design something with flash and sizzle. It takes a lot of thought and work to make something that honors design principles and focuses on making the content shine. This is something that would be an accomplishment by any company - that it's coming from the guys who defined the term "More Graphics" is simply extraordinary.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the lower third feels like it takes up a lot of space, and it looks like it's on screen for almost the entire newscast. Maybe it's something I'll just get used to...

I think it's something you'll have to get used to. Cable news has used permalowers for over a decade, and nobody seems to be complaining about them anymore. In fact, I'm finding the concept useful. I despise KYW's news product with a passion, but when there's breaking news I try to watch them. Why? Because CBS has the cable-style L3 for breaking news. Though Fox's new package is much better, and WPVI seems to have figured out how to do that with their insane VizRT graphics...

I like the graphics. As a graphics artist I have always believed that simple is better. Everything connects to each other and that what's make this new change work. So while I understand the complaints, things change all the time and some change is good. This is one that is good.

Well, it sure isn't "

" ... let alone "
."

Nope, but I think it could be...

Listening to the WBIR promo, there are lots of opportunities to customize the lyrics within, but wonder if WBIR just took the default to get it out (or was WBIR used to get the synch of the videos to the music into Gannett's graphics or editing system to feed to other stations for their customization...).

My thoughts on the WTSP open: the second "This is Home" audio tag is too fast, IMHO. Go with the same speed as the first one to finish out the open, fading into the bed with the anchors talking.

J

Since this past summer, WKYC's main imaging campaign has been "W K Y C (See) The Possible." If "This is..." could be customized, that would be a perfect complement to that campaign.

One would hope that Gannett will let Gari compose customized lyrics. Hell, it's GARI we're talking about here - creator of "Catch 5," "The One for All," "Hello News," "Turn To/Stand Up," "Eyewitness News," etc, etc. To get a generic imaging campaign from them would be along the lines of getting just the detached rear passenger door of a luxury sedan when you were expecting the whole car.

From DCRTV.com, we now have a time and date for WUSA's graphics conversion...

Reduced Screen Clutter For 9 News - 1/14 - Gannett's Channel 9/WUSA, in numerous promos during the weekend CBS football playoffs, announces that it will reduce screen clutter during its newscasts. Numerous viewers have complained about how WUSA's newscasts feature multiple screen elements, including a bottom-of-the-screen news ticker, that often distract from what the news anchor is reading. WUSA says it will unveil a much cleaner news info graphics bar on Thursday at noon, which will be color-coded to news, weather, and sports.....

TVNewsCheck stating today that KSDK 5 in St. Louis is the latest station to implement the new graphics today. The article explains that they are doing some tweaking with the graphics to address some complaints, especially in the markets that were already implemented. It also states about the new Gari theme.

Interesting to note that this quick video clip (again, using the "we listened to you" card, lol) didn't use Dinot as the key font, but news footage on KSDK's website is showing Dinot. I cannot wait to see the open - it irritated me just how badly G3 shrank KSDK's logo in the previous open design, to the point where the logo wants to hide out of embarrassment.

Judging by G3's comment on the above link, it sure looks like KARE is losing their theme and WKYC is dropping Propulsion. Mixed thoughts on that. Propulsion could fit the open.

I don't mind the new logo they're sporting there, but wouldn't it have been better placing the star between the W and U?

That's what WUSA originally did in the 90s. But they replaced the star with the CBS Eye after this now long-gone group came into existence:

Wusa.png

Archived