WFMY New graphics

nhmediaguy

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are 2 videos from the noon news:

The New look at 9 News

9's version of the "This is Home" image campaign.

(Pardon the title overlapping the countdown and the on-video error for the newscast... Just playing with the new software!)

Love how the old 9 showed up on the Gannett billboard - the ones later in the day were generic - no station ID...

J

I think how they pulled it off (so far) is that they did a complete change - logo, design, theme. Hopefully the studio loses the old look... (The background seems "flatter" of late, so I'm hoping they've got some temp duratrans in...). DC changes enough, that there isn't an uproar when they change their logo.

Now if WRC fires Jim Vance or Doreen Gentzler, there may be rioting in the streets ;-)

J

Out of all of the stations that have premiered the new music thus far, I think I like WBIR's the best. Hopefully that's the new NBC version.

My big question is how WXIA will fit their logo inside that small, horizontal time/temp bug. Maybe they can go back to the pre 1994 logo or pull a logo change a la WUSA.

So, how is WUSA identifying now? Looks like "9 News Now" is gone... is it just "WUSA 9"? or "WUSA 9 News"? Unified branding between station/news department is a new trend. Less emphasis on "news." Especially with the Media General stations (WSLS: "WSLS 10", WNCT: "9 On Your Side", WSPA: "7 On Your Side").

Interesting to note that this quick video clip (again' date=' using the "we listened to you" card, lol) didn't use Dinot as the key font, but news footage on KSDK's website is showing Dinot. I cannot wait to see the open - it irritated me just how badly G3 shrank KSDK's logo in the previous open design, to the point where the logo wants to hide out of embarrassment.

Judging by G3's comment on the above link, it sure looks like KARE is losing their theme and WKYC is dropping Propulsion. Mixed thoughts on that. Propulsion could fit the open.

Go look on my youtube page and it will show some of the packs that "can fit" the package. Look under WTSP 2012 resynch

None. It's just called WUSA 9 during the newscasts. :bang:

OOOOHH I hate how the news branding does not include "News" on it. That's exactly what KVIA does. "ABC 7 at 5, ABC 7 at 6, whatever". Sounds very off. I also hate when they do use "News" for its overall branding. i.e. "Wheel of Fortune, Weeknights at 7:30 on NewsChannel 9". It doesn't sound right to me at all. But stations do that. :mad:

To be fair, the DC market has "News 4," "Fox 5 News," and "ABC 7 News" ("News 7" pre-2001), in addition to "WUSA 9 (News)". WTOP/WDVM/WUSA's past usage of "Eyewitness News," and WRC's past usage of "NewsCenter 4" are the only two DC stations I can think of that used any branding for their newscasts. WTTG's previously used the "Ten O'Clock News" pre-Fox, and WMAL/WJLA had been "News 7" since the 1960s.

Apparently that market doesn't mind that none of their stations have any sort of branding.

OOOOHH I hate how the news branding does not include "News" on it. That's exactly what KVIA does. "ABC 7 at 5, ABC 7 at 6, whatever". Sounds very off. I also hate when they do use "News" for its overall branding. i.e. "Wheel of Fortune, Weeknights at 7:30 on NewsChannel 9". It doesn't sound right to me at all. But stations do that. :mad:

Scripps' WEWS and WPTV both are "NewsChannel 5" in both newscasts and continuity promos (WEWS has done this in some way, shape, or form since 1994). But both stations, since Scripps' 1st standardization, only show the "Circle 5" logo without the "NewsChannel" on their news opens. They don't even want to acknowledge that branding. So it's a double-whammy.

Well, the graphics just say that, but the anchors and reporters seem to be saying "WUSA 9 News" more often than not. Thus, it seems like WKYC in the current/[soon to be] previous where all of its graphics just said "3" but they were "The Channel 3 News".

Anyway, http://www.newscaststudio.com/blog/2013/01/11/gannett-simplifies-returns-home/]here's an interesting article[/url] that goes further into detail about how the Gannett graphics were conceived.

nstead of using normal industry insiders, Gannett hired a motion graphics outsider to create its new on-air brand.

Mennie described the approach as crafting a new user experience for television news. Gannett took the lessons learned from its other brands and emergence of the tablet market to shape the style and design of the package.

So far, the package has been well received by viewers.

“The feedback has been remarkable. It’s a lot of things we hoped we’d hear. Clean, simple and easy to read,” said Mennie.

Currently rolling out to Gannett’s 23 television stations, the new package will be on all stations by the end of Q1 and 11 by the end of January.

I'm watching WKYC right now. No Voice-over for open. It is a very different look for WKYC. My tuner isn't working to capture anything. With the snow and cold in Northeast Ohio WKYC put news on at 11am instead of Live on the Lakeside show. I did capture video via my cell phone I will upload in a few.

WKYC 6pm the Sponsor Bilboard is still in but in with new graphics unlike WTSP open. Also Ed O' Brien is no longer the voice-over for open. I'm uploading video now, via cell phone tuner is still down,

Now that Twitter login is fixed, all I can say is that they did a great job. It reminds me a lot of the old CBC News design (I mean, before the "News shift"/CBC News Network/WBZ meets CNN" design)

But still, the music isn't great.

1358896053[/url]"]WKYC 6pm the Sponsor Bilboard is still in but in with new graphics unlike WTSP open. Also Ed O' Brien is no longer the voice-over for open. I'm uploading video now, via cell phone tuner is still down,

I like how they couched the legal ID and "Channel 3 News" right at the start of the sponsor billboard. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the sponsor billboards were/are still done in-house as opposed to the G3 hub (the current "See The Possible" campaign is definitely an in-house effort).

Also, WKYC's standard-definition cable feed is now being shown in letterbox format all the time... not just during the newscasts. The 11pm news tonight is even more compressed because of the "iAlert" school closing ticker running, for obvious reasons (the design of which hasn't been changed yet).

Archived