WFMY New graphics

nhmediaguy

Honestly though, Gannett should have at least given stations latitude over music. The new music sounds adequate, but it does sound a bit like production music; no notable signature or note. Gannett should at least let the stations decide on whether to use the new music, use the current Rampage package, or choose a different package (I loved it when we had Alive).

Yeah.

To be honest, the most obligatory "network-associated" packages could fit. If the intro were shortened a bit, a good Pride or Enforcer cut would compliment the intro style pretty good.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually have a question that's been bugging me since 2008: just how did KARE get to keep its Third Street theme?

That's what never made sense.

WBIR also had a signature theme (used for close to 20 years) that was discarded with the switch. WKYC was one of the first stations (if not THE first station) to use the Tower package that would become so identifiable with NBC affiliates. And both stations had to give them up for the Rampage package. Yes, I get the "one-size-fits-all" brand standardization, but the theme... is just crap, with so little variety of cuts to boot.

I still can't believe that WKYC today uses cuts from Propulsion.

That's what never made sense.

WBIR also had a signature theme (used for close to 20 years) that was discarded with the switch. WKYC was one of the first stations (if not THE first station) to use the Tower package that would become so identifiable with NBC affiliates. And both stations had to give them up for the Rampage package. Yes, I get the "one-size-fits-all" brand standardization, but the theme... is just crap, with so little variety of cuts to boot.

I still can't believe that WKYC today uses cuts from Propulsion.

Don't forget Southern Maine. WCSH/WLBZ had to forgo Gari's Good News package, which was basically their MCTYW. No telling if they still use its haunted, climatic cue use from Good News for its Storm Center coverage. They'd used it for a good two decades, since the theme went into syndication.

WUSA could've kept Enforcer too. If KARE 11 can keep their theme, why KUSA couldn't. No doubt 615 were the big losers of the Gannett standardization in '08. WKYC using Propulsion shocks the hell out of me. If anything, they could've used the 4th installment of the Tower or go back to the 3rd one.

Don't forget Southern Maine. WCSH/WLBZ had to forgo Gari's Good News package, which was basically their MCTYW. No telling if they still use its haunted, climatic cue use from Good News for its Storm Center coverage. They'd used it for a good two decades, since the theme went into syndication.

Yes, the StormCenter music from "Good News" is still used - and judging from the weather forecast, it should make an appearance tomorrow.

The new graphics don't seem like they would be a good fit for those stations, but then again the current standardized graphics still look strange on-air to me...

WKYC using Propulsion shocks the hell out of me. If anything, they could've used the 4th installment of the Tower or go back to the 3rd one.

I think it was some judgement that Tower V.4 (which WKYC used PRIOR to the first standardization) just doesn't fit with the current graphical scheme. Note that they still use Rampage for their early-morning newscasts and their DT-2 weather radar loop.

However, Tower V.4 would make a perfect match with the new graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

WBIR has switched to the new graphics and music. The new Gannett theme has a name and it's called "This Is Home" by Gari Media Group. The NMSA has added it.

Check out their new promo: http://www.wbir.com/video/2082338688001/39627146001/WBIR-A-new-look-same-heart

Wow. That is an amazingly generic image campaign. "This (unnamed, generic city/village/town/unincorporated area) is home..." ;)

It sounds like to me that either the Gannett stations, Gannett HQ or both are practically admitting that their old graphics sucked and that these are miles better.

Edit: but that open sucks...I just saw a video of it on Youtube and...ew...

I'm looking forward to KSDK getting these new graphics. It shouldn't be too long now if stations like KUSA and WBIR are getting them.

An article I saw somewhere (I don't feel like looking) said all 23 stations should have them by the end of Q1 and 11 of those by the end of January.

Wow. That is an amazingly generic image campaign. "This (unnamed, generic city/village/town/unincorporated area) is home..." ;)

If "Hello" is a fine glass of wine, this is a glass of "Hello" with fifteen gallons of water in it.

FYI: The original "This is Home" was written for KELO.

Well, it sure isn't "

" ... let alone "
."

I like that this package has aligned and spaced everything properly, and they chose a nice typeface and color palette. These are some issues issues that most graphics packages seem to ignore (see also the previous Gannett package). The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the lower third feels like it takes up a lot of space, and it looks like it's on screen for almost the entire newscast. Maybe it's something I'll just get used to...

1357949293[/url]"]1357949293[/url]"]Well' date=' it sure isn't "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6z3MeQoP74]Turn to 3[/url]" ... let alone "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCmgjAvE1CM]Stand Up[/url]."

Nope, but I think it could be...

Listening to the WBIR promo, there are lots of opportunities to customize the lyrics within, but wonder if WBIR just took the default to get it out (or was WBIR used to get the synch of the videos to the music into Gannett's graphics or editing system to feed to other stations for their customization...).

My thoughts on the WTSP open: the second "This is Home" audio tag is too fast, IMHO. Go with the same speed as the first one to finish out the open, fading into the bed with the anchors talking.

J

Archived