WFMY New graphics

nhmediaguy

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WKYC is still using the "softer" cut of Rampage for their 3.2 weather radar loop, even though the graphics have all been changed to reflect the new standardization (it's not that much, really... just radar shots in a nonstop loop with occasional PSAs thrown in).

I honestly don't mind; that cut is the only one from that broken fax machine I liked.

It's Offical everyone may the "KARE 11 News Package" rest in peace after 11am Friday Jan 25, 2013.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=1007390

Close to seventeen years...... Gannett figure they could escape the last change four years ago, but not this time. But another piece of history and longevity ends tomorrow morning. Sad Sad Sad!!! :(

It was fun while it lasted. Gannett is not a group that accepts the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of news music.

If that was the case, then a handful of those stations would've probably kept their themes on the last graphics change. WBIR, KUSA, WCSH/WLBZ and probably WUSA & WGRZ specifically.

WXIA Is flipping Tuesday Jan 29 at Noon. Not sure if new set debuts.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200384110664276&set=vb.114256800495&type=2&theater

They better not use the logo the way it's shown in that video, it is extremely ugly. They should get a new logo or at least use that logo with the ".com" at the end.

It's funny, but I think that the music and graphics have grown on me. It's clean and simple, yet it keeps a modern style. This could be pretty good, and the new set could make it all worth it at WXIA/WATL.

Edit: So far, the Facebook comments aren't very angry, although there are only five. Then again, WXIA didn't have a staple piece of music like KARE and the new graphics haven't premiered yet. Oh, set update: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=484936034885528&set=a.371741999538266.80663.352902198088913&type=1

It's interesting that about 90% of the complaints though are from the "big black bar" at the bottom of the screen. G3 should at least give stations the freedom to resize the lower thirds based on viewer feedback; that would immediately solve most of the complaints.

It's also ironic that when this look premiered, the rationale was "We listened to you yadda yadda"; here we are now, and the feedback makes it seem like Gannett absolutely did not listen to the viewers. Talk about (somewhat) false advertising.

Okay. I don't see all this kvetching and mourning over the loss of the KARE 11 theme. It's just a news theme, guys - and the latest iteration didn't sound all that great to be honest. (That main theme? No urgency and very drone-y.) While it sucks to lose a heritage news theme, some of you guys are making it sound like G3 and Gannett is committing a crime against nature.

I think nobody has ever considered the real reasons why KARE likely kept its theme. And no, it's not because they fought tooth and nail to keep it.

While I liked the old theme, the vibe I always got from it was WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE HORRIBLY. And that's the vibe I get from most of the cuts of the package. Even the morning cuts have that vibe, even if it's the "We're sorry you are all going to die" type. If there was a news theme that should be played during an alien invasion, or the Apocalypse, my god, that Gannett theme would be it.

Now. You have a station in Minneapolis named KARE. I repeat, the call letters are KARE.

A theme suggesting horrible, fiery death is probably not the best choice for a station that calls itself KARE.

Fast forward four years. Gannett reverses course and drops Apocalypse News Package for something gentler. While it has much more of a range than the previous news package, it's still light and positive and sunshine and flowers. That's something you can use on KARE, and they're using it. The upshot to this is that the new music is actually a really good package in its own right - in fact, I kind of think it might be Gari's best package in quite a while.

In a way this reminds me of when KYW dropped its longtime signature for the CBS O&O one. Yes, we lost a heritage theme, but by then they were using a sickly, watered down version. Moreover, the theme they started using was News In Focus, which is far and away the best version of the CBS O&O signature. I ended up not minding.

Gannett wanted opinions, they got them. Gannett debuted stuff worse than the last package, they're going to get more opinions.

Honestly? I don't think you can call this package worse than the last one. You might dislike the style of the graphics, but on a purely technical level this new package is better. The old package had devolved into a mess of rundowns, tickers, and all sorts of clutter. If I lived in a Gannett market, I probably would have avoided the station because of the excessive eye candy. This new package is clean, clear, smartly laid out, and easy to read. I personally think this is a fantastic look and feel, but on technical merits this package exceeds its predecessor.

As for the complaints... honestly? You're going to get them when you make a major change like this. And it's usually a small but vocal minority. I can see where they're coming from - for any station, this would be a jarring change, but for Gannett, this is a total 180 - but usually you get used to it.

Gannett wanted opinions' date=' they got them. Gannett debuted stuff worse than the last package, they're going to get more opinions.[img']http://i.imgur.com/WfEu3ju.jpg[/img]

Heh. Nothing - I mean NOTHING - will make me miss that cacophony of blue and yellow rings-like things. I can at least take solace in that WKYC never had to implement the RED G3 graphics, which were even uglier.

The more I see the new graphics, it is on par with NBC's Look F.

Okay. I don't see all this kvetching and mourning over the loss of the KARE 11 theme. It's just a news theme, guys - and the latest iteration didn't sound all that great to be honest. (That main theme? No urgency and very drone-y.) While it sucks to lose a heritage news theme, some of you guys are making it sound like G3 and Gannett is committing a crime against nature.

I think nobody has ever considered the real reasons why KARE likely kept its theme. And no, it's not because they fought tooth and nail to keep it.

While I liked the old theme, the vibe I always got from it was WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE HORRIBLY. And that's the vibe I get from most of the cuts of the package. Even the morning cuts have that vibe, even if it's the "We're sorry you are all going to die" type. If there was a news theme that should be played during an alien invasion, or the Apocalypse, my god, that Gannett theme would be it.

Now. You have a station in Minneapolis named KARE. I repeat, the call letters are KARE.

A theme suggesting horrible, fiery death is probably not the best choice for a station that calls itself KARE.

I honestly never thought to make that connection.

And I don't think the good people of Knoxville liked hearing the so-called Apocalypse News Package on a station who's longtime motto is "Straight From The Heart." (Heck, a heart is embedded into the "10" logo!)

IIRC, WBIR basically had to use just the 'softer' cut of Rampage for all opens because of that.

I honestly never thought to make that connection.

And I don't think the good people of Knoxville liked hearing the so-called Apocalypse News Package on a station who's longtime motto is "Straight From The Heart." (Heck, a heart is embedded into the "10" logo!)

IIRC, WBIR basically had to use just the 'softer' cut of Rampage for all opens because of that.

...until they went HD, they changed to the regular cut; but WMAZ used the regular cut and their motto is "Coverage Straight from the Heart" since 1983.

So 11 Alive has implemented the graphics at noon earlier today. The big difference is that the time/temp bug is on the farthest right instead of the top segment of the bug, obviously because of the 11 Alive Logo.

I have to see all of the changes at 6. I was hoping for a new logo, but I guess the vertical time/temp bug works too. Strangely, aside from different music cuts, the vertical time/temp bug is probably the biggest variation of this package I've seen (so far).

EDIT: I see they've kept the WIZ, though. :bang:

Huh, so WXIA closed its noon newscast with This Is Home, and it kind of sounded like it might be a regular thing, but it was apparently their general promo. Still has nothing on

, though...

(Also, holy crap, they air The Andy Griffith Show at 12:30 apparently? Must be an Atlanta tradition...)

Archived