Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand those are only prelims, but I wonder what WSOC pulls in at 11pm. Their news product at 10pm is #1, and they basically repeat the same newscast at 11 over on channel 9. Yes I think the only reason people watch channel 64 at 10pm is because they do the most traditional newscast of all the stations. WCCB is more traditional than WJZY but still skewers towards the younger crowd. And since they rate well during Fox primetime their 10pm ratings can be attributed to local newscast mistakes, and nothing to do with Fox.

Good to know they are digging their own graves with this horrendous turd fest. I understand that they want to be different and are trying to offer us the view a much better and creative news experience and I can completely respect that. However, common sense dictates that if it looks like shit and it smells like shit, then it must be shit and no matter how hard they tried to push this through, it won't work. As long as they are covering this meaningless restaurant stories and continue to hired inexperience talent and can't even make simple modifications like changing that dumb fucking song (I got a remix to that song... And it's call hey hey shut the fuck up), I hope they enjoy the bottom, because that's where they are going to be for a long time. In the end, hired some experience talent, spend a little more so your newscast looks credible and dig a little deeper for stories that truly have substance and are affecting people in the city instead of some cookie cutter bullshit and whether they like it or not, try to be a little bit conventional. The reason WCCB had its success at this time before the change was simply because they struck the perfect balance and it had the right talent to do so. Today, things might not be that way at WCCB, but WJZY fails at doing that and it will continue to fail until they can find that balance and put the effort to do it right instead of being lazy and sloppy.

This was a good read that was published on FTVLive this morning:

WJZY in Charlotte is doing a 10PM newscast that appears to take its cue from TMZ.

The Charlotte Observer writes that it's either the future of local news or an experiment gone boldly awry.

By any standard, it is different.

There’s no anchor desk. Reporters stand around a video table – think of a Ms. Pac-Man machine gone gigantic – and chat about their stories with host Cheryl Brayboy, in what feels like a cocktail party of news.

There’s no reporter standing in front of an empty courthouse talking about what happened there hours earlier. WJZY isn’t playing the “now-on-the-scene-of-nothing” game.

There’s no sea of flashing blue lights. WJZY isn’t spicing up its report with routine urban crime.

Launched six weeks ago, the hour-long show was designed to be unlike anything that has gone before. After the Fox network bought WJZY in 2013, it wanted to take a new approach, to see whether it could reverse declining viewership nationally and engage a younger audience.

Karen Adams, the station’s manager, remembers getting a call from Fox Television Stations CEO Jack Abernethy last January, asking her to leave the Fox affiliate in Greensboro and take over the network’s new Charlotte station.

“He said he wanted me to create the newsroom of the future and the culture that would support it,” says Adams.

She brought in as news director Geoff Rothfrom Fox’s Houston station. He’s a tech wonk who built a team outside the normal structure. Rather than a reporter, photographer and editor working on a story, the WJZY news team consists of “digital journalists” who can shoot and edit their stories on iPads or smartphones.

Stories are aimed not only at the TV broadcast, but the station’s website and mobile destinations. People aren’t waiting around until 10 p.m. to get their news anymore, Roth says. They want it now and they want it on multiple devices.

A traditional anchor desk was never part of the plan. “We were not going to do the traditional ‘voice of God’ behind the news desk,” Adams says.

“Everything we do is a two-way conversation with the viewer,” says Roth. “Young people are used to that through social media.”

More from the Charlotte Observer

FTVLIVE LINK: http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/2/10/the-tmz-style-newscast

I'm all for engaging new technology, probably more than most. I'm in a newsroom now where our graphics are from 1985 and we have five computers with internet for the entire newsroom. I can see how FOX has a vision but honestly, I think it's too soon, or maybe too late. I'm in my early-twenties and I can tell you that the way they are going about doing their shows is not the way to attract young viewers. I've been in their shoes before when I ran a newspaper/digital website newsroom for two years; the technology was new to the area and people didn't understand how to use the internet for their news instead of purchasing a daily newspaper.

I think at this stage, they might have steep ratings, but simply because the majority of people are watching the shows for entertainment/to see how much of a train wreck the shows are.

As for utilizing the iPhone/mobile editing, I'm extremely in favor of that.

Before posting this, I wish I had saved the Jim Gardner and/or Capt. Picard forehead rub photo:

The GM at Fox 26 Houston just sent out an email "raving positively" about the TVNewscheck story on WJZY. Only he would read a semi-critical article as being supportive about the "...future of tv news..."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, no. They're at it, again. According to the news directors' twitter this morning, they are hiring dozens of more newsroom members, including "junior digital journalists."

He posted this picture on Twitter this morning: http://t.co/nIXP7isA73

And just about an hour ago, the jobs were all posted onto TVjobs. Someone put this station out of their misery already. Where in the hell is Rupert Murdoch? He needs to pull the plug on this train wreck.

Oh, no. They're at it, again. According to the news directors' twitter this morning, they are hiring dozens of more newsroom members, including "junior digital journalists."

And just about an hour ago, the jobs were all posted onto TVjobs. Someone put this station out of their misery already. Where in the hell is Rupert Murdoch? He needs to pull the plug on this train wreck.

You're looking for Keith Alexander to leave. Only then will 46 tone itself down.

You're looking for Keith Alexander to leave. Only then will 46 tone itself down.

Who's Keith Alexander? I don't think you're referring to the NSA chief are you?

You probably meant Jack Abernethy, he's most responsible for this pathetic attempt at news.

It's for the morning and 6:00 news.

Who's Keith Alexander? I don't think you're referring to the NSA chief are you?

You probably meant Jack Abernethy, he's most responsible for this pathetic attempt at news.

Oh dear, I got my streams crossed... I meant the head of Fox Television Stations and his "news evolution".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When is FOX46's morning show going to launch?

No idea. They did hire a weekend morning host, Caitlin Lockerbie, formerly of TWC News Triad. They previously hired a morning meteorologist, Nick Kosir who is mentioned in the article I linked back on March 29. But they are taking their time for sure. Had said it would launch in May but now it's June. Maybe they will launch it at same time as 6 and 7 pm news?

Will be interesting to see where Antenna TV ends up or if it is even picked up at all. 36.2 will be available in January but I look for Weather Nation to end up there. Doubt they will add a 46.3 or 55.4. I could see it replacing the SonLife Broadcasting Network on 55.3. Why oh why did WCCB have to pick up QVC for 18.2?

When is FOX46's morning show going to launch?

No idea. They did hire a weekend morning host, Caitlin Lockerbie, formerly of TWC News Triad. They previously hired a morning meteorologist, Nick Kosir who is mentioned in the article I linked back on March 29. But they are taking their time for sure. Had said it would launch in May but now it's June. Maybe they will launch it at same time as 6 and 7 pm news?

It's likely still a little ways off. Most of the positions related to the AM newscast are still posted, including the EP position...at least they still were last week. For those of you hoping to see a shift towards a more "traditional" newscast in the AM I wouldn't hold your breath. It appears as though WJZY going to fill the role of guinea pig in Jack Abernethy's quest to reinvent the wheel. So, for better or worse your likely to continue to see the "outside the box" style newscasts coming out of WJZY for awhile.

It's likely still a little ways off. Most of the positions related to the AM newscast are still posted, including the EP position...at least they still were last week. For those of you hoping to see a shift towards a more "traditional" newscast in the AM I wouldn't hold your breath. It appears as though WJZY going to fill the role of guinea pig in Jack Abernethy's quest to reinvent the wheel. So, for better or worse your likely to continue to see the "outside the box" style newscasts coming out of WJZY for awhile.

They're getting pounded by WSOC on WAXN at 10:00. They're even behind WCCB. Viewers will turn it to WCCB after the Fox programming on WJZY. You can thank Abernethy.

They're getting pounded by WSOC on WAXN at 10:00. They're even behind WCCB. Viewers will turn it to WCCB after the Fox programming on WJZY. You can thank Abernethy.

From what I have seen, WCCB seems to put out a decent quality newscast at 10 in spite of WJZY being a Fox O&O and 18 being CW. If Bahakel can scrape some cash together, I would like to see them expand a little bit and put a 6pm newscast and maybe start Rising at 4:30 but I know the competition is tough in CLT so for now, I'll let it be a pipe dream.

Archived