Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

I finally caught the replay of tonight's newscast on Livestream. This so-called "newscast" is a real piece of work. My opinions of it thus far echo what's already been said, especially about the use of "Hey Hey Carolinas"....

Garbage like this does not belong on television....if you're going to use the internet to cover the news.....keep it there, stream it online or on devices, but don't broadcast crap like this!

This makes any bad idea ever done by WCCB or any other station look like it swept the Emmy awards......

Come to think about it....WJZY's whole idea is a lousy, lackadaisical, modern interpretation of this gem from Indianapolis.....

Even this has passion to it...the people at WJZY just have a bunch of fancy tools at their disposal and are buried away at their desks or their ipads, and awkwardly moving in the background, whereas there's a sense of urgency on the WTHR clip (although it was probably heavily staged)

If this is going to be on television, it needs to have the "wow" factor of television..I'm hoping FOX has more ideas up their sleeve, or else WAXN/WSOC is going to rule the ENTIRE 10pm hour by doing a TRADITONAL NEWSCAST in a place like Charlotte....what a concept!

End rant.

That WTHR video made me laugh so hard that I had to watch this Fox 46 news cast on livestream and my god, I would rather be small market almost anywhere in the country than associated with this so-called newscast. I can't tell if I'm watching TMZ live or Zanesville news. JESUS! Someone shut this operation down and put these people out of the embarrassment. The only thing any of them have going for them is the market size on their resume. JESUS! I am in disbelief after watching this newscast. Rupert Murdoch should be ashamed.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That WTHR video made me laugh so hard that I had to watch this Fox 46 news cast on livestream and my god, I would rather be small market almost anywhere in the country than associated with this so-called newscast. I can't tell if I'm watching TMZ live or Zanesville news. JESUS! Someone shut this operation down and put these people out of the embarrassment. The only thing any of them have going for them is the market size on their resume. JESUS! I am in disbelief after watching this newscast. Rupert Murdoch should be ashamed.

Hey I wouldn't insult Zanesville with that so-called newscast.... They would do it way better than that. And Charlotte is a major market and an station O&O and put out something like that! FOX go the corner and think about how to a GOOD newscast.

I mean lean in the sense that you only get so much. If the powers that be at FTS decide you get x number for this position or that position then that's all you get. You make do with what you have. That means you need to get people to wear more than on hat. And, the off-peak hours (weekends/weekend AM's) might end up a little thin. I don't know but I'm sure most of this holds true with KSAZ. Plus, I'd bet KSAZ is putting out more hours of news with a similar sized staff to their counterparts. I assure you FTS runs a tight ship when it comes to staffing.

You don't know the half of it. FTS management in NY ranks the stations based on the number of newsroom positions each one has. About a year ago, we were told that we fall between Atlanta and Minneapolis on this arbitrary scale: KRIV had one more newsroom position than KMSP and one less than WAGA. And we were supposed to make do with that, even if there's room in the budget for more hires.

That may be changing, though. A few weekends back, during the big snow storm in the NE (the one that happened in the middle of the Eagles game), Philly made a big push on air and online that impressed New York and apparently paid off in ratings and web traffic. Word is they suddenly got religion on the importance of news coverage on the weekends and are supposedly loosening up the purse strings a little. I heard over the weekend that KRIV had hired a trio of MMJs and another news producer (nothing confirmed yet as far as I know) because of that.

That may be changing, though. A few weekends back, during the big snow storm in the NE (the one that happened in the middle of the Eagles game), Philly made a big push on air and online that impressed New York and apparently paid off in ratings and web traffic. Word is they suddenly got religion on the importance of news coverage on the weekends and are supposedly loosening up the purse strings a little. I heard over the weekend that KRIV had hired a trio of MMJs and another news producer (nothing confirmed yet as far as I know) because of that.

And I'd imagine Philly ranked near the bottom as far as newsroom staffing goes? I keep seeing freelancers on WTXF with alarming frequency. However, they do have a pretty good news department and I'm not surprised they'd make that big push with the storm. They do employ some talented people there.

That game was nuts, though. They had to use the first and 10 thing to superimpose the yard markers on the screen.

I do have to admit that they have hired too many recent college grads and not enough veterans.

much cheaper to hire right out of college than hiring veterans; besides, the younger ones are more tech savvy than the vets

Mike Woolfolk, who used to anchor at WACH in Columbia, SC puts it best (original source):

“Students, forget about all that crap your college professors and other professionals who visited your classes told you about “paying your dues” or “having to cut your teeth in Podunkville, USA” before you get the chance to anchor a newscast in a place like Columbia, or better. Don’t worry about learning the craft or gaining experience.

The original post had to do with WACH hiring a 23 yr old former beauty queen with no previous news experience as main anchor, but the message also works here too.

much cheaper to hire right out of college than hiring veterans; besides, the younger ones are more tech savvy than the vets

Mike Woolfolk, who used to anchor at WACH in Columbia, SC puts it best (original source):

The original post had to do with WACH hiring a 23 yr old former beauty queen with no previous news experience as main anchor, but the message also works here too.

Good points.

Truthfully speaking... This news team is horrible and yes, this people know that it is bad but aren't doing anything about. From that horrendous Hey Hey Carolina song, to the amateur "journalist" that they have, this entire news department is a complete joke and truthfully even disrespectful to us living in Charlotte. Do the big heads at FTS truly consider us that insignificant of a market? Are we that small that we deserve so little? For an O&O I was expecting a lot from them to the point that they were going to give a run to the local stations in our area (like ABC11 has done so perfectly in Raleigh for an O&O), but instead, they have giving us nothing but crap for a newscast and honestly, they are doing nothing about it. For example, a lot of the complaints that I see here were raised during their rehearsals. Time after time the same complaints that I see here, were the same complaints raised during that period of rehearsals and I know they had to see those complaints, especially when it was discuss through their live chats. Plus, some of these same complaints were address by others through emails to both Geoff and Karen and honestly, it just went through one ear and left out of the other. I mean, how hard is it to use the O&O music like their other stations? And are we that country and corny to their eyes, that they think that Hey Hey Carolina song is a suitable or tolerable music for a newscast in our area?

I have honestly lost faith that they will do the right thing and until they get the point that it's not working, I won't watched that piece of shit (Sorry for the word... But there's truly no other way to say this). Our local stations are putting a much better if not superior product and I rather support them then this pitiful attempt. I thought Chasing New Jersey was horrifying to watch, but FTS lower our expectations even lower with this pathetic attempt at providing us with a "respectable" or "edgy" newscast. Truthfully, they should it never attempted at putting this together if they weren't ready for it and from what we all can see, they aren't ready at all and honestly, the majority of their staff along with management have no idea what they are doing and maybe they need to clean house. It's rough to say... But it's an honest observation.

Truthfully speaking... This news team is horrible and yes, this people know that it is bad but aren't doing anything about. From that horrendous Hey Hey Carolina song, to the amateur "journalist" that they have, this entire news department is a complete joke and truthfully even disrespectful to us living in Charlotte. Do the big heads at FTS truly consider us that insignificant of a market? Are we that small that we deserve so little? For an O&O I was expecting a lot from them to the point that they were going to give a run to the local stations in our area (like ABC11 has done so perfectly in Raleigh for an O&O), but instead, they have giving us nothing but crap for a newscast and honestly, they are doing nothing about it. For example, a lot of the complaints that I see here were raised during their rehearsals. Time after time the same complaints that I see here, were the same complaints raised during that period of rehearsals and I know they had to see those complaints, especially when it was discuss through their live chats. Plus, some of these same complaints were address by others through emails to both Geoff and Karen and honestly, it just went through one ear and left out of the other. I mean, how hard is it to use the O&O music like their other stations? And are we that country and corny to their eyes, that they think that Hey Hey Carolina song is a suitable or tolerable music for a newscast in our area?

I have honestly lost faith that they will do the right thing and until they get the point that it's not working, I won't watched that piece of shit (Sorry for the word... But there's truly no other way to say this). Our local stations are putting a much better if not superior product and I rather support them then this pitiful attempt. I thought Chasing New Jersey was horrifying to watch, but FTS lower our expectations even lower with this pathetic attempt at providing us with a "respectable" or "edgy" newscast. Truthfully, they should it never attempted at putting this together if they weren't ready for it and from what we all can see, they aren't ready at all and honestly, the majority of their staff along with management have no idea what they are doing and maybe they need to clean house. It's rough to say... But it's an honest observation.

We say 'shit' here all the time. Don't apologize. :)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/10/4599895/tanner-finds-chuckles-in-cancer.html#.UtAMdvRDsfV

Cheryl Brayboy had to leave in the middle of the newscast last night due to illness, and turns out the woman who replaced her was their newly hired weekend anchor Barbara Pinson Lash, who used to be on the WBTV morning news.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/10/4599895/tanner-finds-chuckles-in-cancer.html#.UtAMdvRDsfV

Cheryl Brayboy had to leave in the middle of the newscast last night due to illness, and turns out the woman who replaced her was their newly hired weekend anchor Barbara Pinson Lash, who used to be on the WBTV morning news.

I remember Barbara working at WIVB in Buffalo right before she moved to Charlotte. Nice hire.

Actions speak louder than words for them. When the viewers flip the channel at 10pm and they do horribly in the ratings then they'll make changes.

Unless they purchase a Shrink-inator from Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz, I don't know how they can fit a traditional newscast into what they have for a studio.

Unless they purchase a Shrink-inator from Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz, I don't know how they can fit a traditional newscast into what they have for a studio.

They can start by getting an anchor desk at the very least, and just make do with the background they have now. It will buy them time until they decide on a more permanent solution for the studio/newsroom.

I don't really care what they have for scenery or if the anchors stand (KABB has their anchors present the whole newscast standing up; they also have a nice newsroom and Devlin set although the studio is really small). It's five factors

• poor execution
  • content
  • the emphasis on "digital"
  • Jack Abernethy, Karen Adams, and Geoff Roth
  • the fact they hire almost all the reporters right out of college

And considering Karen Adams did a great job running WGHP for 15 years, I don't know if I should blame her or not and how she lets this crap slide in Charlotte. For sure Abernethy and Roth are to blame. Hell, if they correct the "content" part they would easily have a better product. I don't want to know what the best restaurants are or what to do this weekend. I just want to know what happened in my city and the weather forecast so I can plan my day. That's why I watch the news. I don't watch to hear a reporter suggest what they consider to be the best restaurants...

While the lack of a "set" is probably the least of their concerns, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually went with something virtual, considering their lack of space, and especially if the show is getting eviscerated in the ratings....

It can't be as bad as what Morris is doing with their stations (especially WWAY and WXXV).....or could it?

It can't be as bad as what Morris is doing with their stations (especially WWAY and WXXV).....or could it?

All I can think of as I read that are the people at FTSG and Abernathy saying:

Challenge_Accepted_meme-s360x270-137762-580.jpg

Seriously though, Abernathy has done a good job screwing up Fox O&O's. KTTV especially stands out because it turned Good Day LA from the top rated morning program in LA into a joke, and this extends to their 10 PM newscast as well. KTLA is dominating in these slots now and a lot of it has to do with the poor decision making at FTSG as well as KTTV.

Thank God the New World stations are still holding together. Hopefully that lasts.

Let me break off-topic for a bit, since I'd posted this on this thread....

Also putting this here because although the newscast debuted, the latter is entirely still possible

+1000 points if the Panthers make it to the Super Bowl

Yeah.........When Hell Freezes Over!

Well? Hell didn't freeze over and yesterday, after that home-field loss against the 49ers. So I guess no one will receive any 1000 points. But kudos to the Panthers for getting that far.

All I can think of as I read that are the people at FTSG and Abernathy saying:

Challenge_Accepted_meme-s360x270-137762-580.jpg

Seriously though, Abernathy has done a good job screwing up Fox O&O's. KTTV especially stands out because it turned Good Day LA from the top rated morning program in LA into a joke, and this extends to their 10 PM newscast as well. KTLA is dominating in these slots now and a lot of it has to do with the poor decision making at FTSG as well as KTTV.

Thank God the New World stations are still holding together. Hopefully that lasts.

That's because in some places it's a Fox coat of paint on a rather traditional news operation.

I'll say this having watched since day 1. It's not perfect at all, it's different than what any other station is doing, and some segments seem a little out of place. But the newscast seems to have hit its stride and has actually become more watchable over the past few weeks. I've noticed more hard news toward the top with the features being pushed back to the second half of the newscast, and the technical mishaps have decreased.

There's still a lot of work to do, and again, it's far from perfect (the digital journalists are still very green, and I could do without the TMZ-style storytelling), but they're improving.

WJZY has released a mobile app! Although something I don't understand...why it mentions KMSP (Minneapolis) as the seller in the App Store. I mean they have their own app! It looks good though. Don't think they stream newscasts on there yet.

WJZY has released a mobile app! Although something I don't understand...why it mentions KMSP (Minneapolis) as the seller in the App Store. I mean they have their own app! It looks good though. Don't think they stream newscasts on there yet.

Do you have the link?

Archived