Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

They're getting pounded by WSOC on WAXN at 10:00. They're even behind WCCB. Viewers will turn it to WCCB after the Fox programming on WJZY. You can thank Abernethy.

In some ways it's a bit of a catch-22. WJZY's "in house" news department was the fifth in the market behind the other four well established operations, WSOC/WAXN, WBTV(+their DT2), WCCB & WCNC. So, they were very likely destined to be an "also ran" for some time. Jack Abernethy has been looking for a place (or, places) to test out "news evolution." So, why not do it all in Charlotte? Your starting from scratch, your now the fifth voice in the market (and in my opinion at least the building your in requires you to be "creative" due to space limitations.) With all that in mind why not go outside the box and do something different? For better or worse WJZY is serving as the main "guinea pig" for "news evolution" within FTS. At least in the near-term they appear committed to the concept(s) they are using at WJZY. So, I don't see any major course reversal regardless of what the results are right now.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Titan TV shows that WJZY's 6pm news launches June 30, it will be an hour long. Two and a Half Men moves to 11:30 and midnight which bumps Rules of Engagement, Seinfeld, Friends, The Office (x2) and 30 Rock (x2) back a half hour.

• 1 month later...

Has the morning news launched yet? I attempted to livestream it this morning, but it wasn't available.

The 10pm show is still a disaster. I watched WCCB for comparison, and it was WORLDS better. It was engaging and much more of a polished product than the mess that WJZY is.

And for the love of God....get Jon Dick off the air! Trying to out-snark WCCB is making WJZY look like an even bigger joke than it already is.

Has the morning news launched yet? I attempted to livestream it this morning, but it wasn't available.

The 10pm show is still a disaster. I watched WCCB for comparison, and it was WORLDS better. It was engaging and much more of a polished product than the mess that WJZY is.

And for the love of God....get Jon Dick off the air! Trying to out-snark WCCB is making WJZY look like an even bigger joke than it already is.

Sure hasn't. Supposed to launch in August. Wikipedia swore it was launching this week but they were wrong.

As for the 10:00 news, the format isn't changing any time soon as long as Abernethy is the head honcho at Fox Television Stations. He doesn't care about ratings AT ALL. Same goes for the 6:00 news.

Sure hasn't. Supposed to launch in August. Wikipedia swore it was launching this week but they were wrong.

As for the 10:00 news, the format isn't changing any time soon as long as Abernethy is the head honcho at Fox Television Stations. He doesn't care about ratings AT ALL. Same goes for the 6:00 news.

There was a guide listing for this weekend, and Monday, but when I tried to confirm it with someone at Fox they said a date has not yet been set. I've heard that the morning show will be more traditional, but considering they keep pushing back the launch, they might be making changes.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/26339257/fox-46-launches-good-day-carolinas-morning-show

Good Day Carolinas finally launches Monday. Ironically on the first day of school for most of the viewing area. It will be on weekdays from 4:30-9am, Saturdays from 5-8 am and Sundays from 5-9 am.

Well that set is...unique. I'll reserve passing too much judgment until I see it in use. But, I really only see three interview areas (traditional sit down area, diner booth & diner counter) and what looks to be a kitchen set in the back middle area. It looks OK but I'm not sure I see the functionality of it as part of a 4.5 hour morning newscast. I'm really hoping that "diner counter" isn't the news desk where headlines will be delivered. But, it looks like it's the "home base" of the studio. So...IDK.

If only they put that much effort in to their news set...er...newsroom...

Yeah. Tell me about it.

Looks like they hired the same people that did KTTV's set (along with a few other Fox Sports sets) for this one. Many of the elements of their new "lounge" set, including logos, are a dead giveaway.

• 3 weeks later...

A sign that Fox is changing course at WJZY? Geoff Roth, the ND is leaving the station to head back to KRIV

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/charlotte-nd-returning-to-houston-wwor-station-manager-to-help-out-in-interim_b128722

Diane Doctor (yes of WWOR) will essentially be Interim News Director, while maintaining duties at WWOR.

Considering they're bringing Diane Doctor in, I would say they're doubling down on the WJZY experiment (see "Chasing New Jersey").

Geoff's an old school newsy (he hired me in Houston) and may have been trying to nudge them further in that direction than they wanted to go.

So in other words, Geoff Roth was actually trying to make the newscasts more "newsy" and the Fox brass wasn't going to have any part of it?

Maybe Dianne Doctor could be a good thing for them....it's time to blow up the "newscasts" and just repackage them as "Chasing the Carolinas" or something like that.

So in other words, Geoff Roth was actually trying to make the newscasts more "newsy" and the Fox brass wasn't going to have any part of it?

Maybe Dianne Doctor could be a good thing for them....it's time to blow up the "newscasts" and just repackage them as "Chasing the Carolinas" or something like that.

:rofl!: :rofl!: :rofl!: :rofl!: HAHAHAHA!!!!!! LMMFAO!!!

But seriously, anything is better than nothing. Fox should've never expanded WJZY's newscasts, and their viewership is too low.

Maybe Dianne Doctor could be a good thing for them

I never saw anyone utter those words before. I still remember her reign at WCBS when she took that station's ratings to the toilet, it baffles me that someone would still hire her.

My prediction is that she's going to scare off the few viewers that WJZY had.

WJZY is so hopeless and screwed up, that someone who could make things WORSE may be what the Doctor ordered. ;)

She seems to be one of those people whose name when it's brought up brings up the likes of such TV terrorists as Joel Cheatwood, Lyn Tolan, Bill Applegate, Kevin O'Brien and the like.

I honestly don't know about Tolan or O'Brien but Applegate is no Dianne Doctor or Bill Carey or Mark Effron. Hell, if it wasn't for him, WOIO might STILL be in the ratings toilet. As for the WJZY situation, let's see how it pans out and hopefully, Doctor dosen't cause 46 to implode and hand their ass over to WCCB and WAXN.

I honestly don't know about Tolan or O'Brien but Applegate is no Dianne Doctor or Bill Carey or Mark Effron. Hell, if it wasn't for him, WOIO might STILL be in the ratings toilet. As for the WJZY situation, let's see how it pans out and hopefully, Doctor dosen't cause 46 to implode and hand their ass over to WCCB and WAXN.

Same with Cheatwood. Even though we all make fun of WSVN's over the top sensationalism, it was that kind of programming that helped make WSVN maintain relevance even after it lost the NBC affiliation and still remains tops in the English-Language news market in South Florida.

Of course he had much less success trying to expand that concept to other cities but at least he had some success, I don't think Doctor even had that.

Same with Cheatwood. Even though we all make fun of WSVN's over the top sensationalism, it was that kind of programming that helped make WSVN maintain relevance even after it lost the NBC affiliation and still remains tops in the English-Language news market in South Florida.

Of course he had much less success trying to expand that concept to other cities but at least he had some success, I don't think Doctor even had that.

Cheatwood had some success replicating the WSVN format in watered-down status on WHDH after Ansin bought it.

But his brief stint at WCBS-TV was a noted disappointment, to say the least.

And yes, if it weren't for Bill Applegate, WOIO would still be the joke of the Cleveland TV market. WBBM-TV also hasn't come close to the level of success that Applegate had back in the early 90s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Digging this old thread back up because our favorite o&woe seems to be making some changes (maybe for the better, time will tell):

Firstly, the 6 and 10pm newscasts will have two permanent co-anchors with Bill Melugin from KFOX joining Barbara Lash who has been the anchor.

http://charlottemediascene.blogspot.com/2015/01/fox46-names-co-anchor-for-evening.html

Secondly, they seem to be moving away from "My FOX Carolinas" and moving towards "FOX 46". The bug is now "FOX 46" and the anchor referenced a "FOX 46 followup", but the reporter still tagged out "My FOX Carolinas". Newscast is looking a lot more traditional, but they are STILL using "Hey Hey Carolinas" (can it die already? I mean it's not even a good image song, let alone news theme). The 10pm open from last night was a cold open. They are, however, using bits and pieces of the O&O theme here and there (mostly as stingers). You can watch a replay here.

Overall, it does seem like they are making an effort. I still think some changes need to be made, a few ideas being (1) throwing "Hey Hey" into a black hole, (2) adding a real anchor desk to the set and (3) hiring some well known local personalities (an call to Stuart Watson after his non-compete is over would be a good start).

I like how they've moved out of the newsroom and onto their "set". It works wonders for their presentation. It's more of a "magazine" style presentation, and even their newsroom shots look better with the added lighting behind the monitor bank. Even the pacing and story selection has improved dramatically since the early days.

I still think they have some work to do....using Google for traffic screams cheapness since Charlotte is a large enough place where traffic is a MAJOR issue, they would benefit from a more customized solution.

Seeing the O&O music starting to creep in is promising too. Maybe the "Hey Hey" song is ready to be done in for good soon....

Why is "Hey Hey Carolinas" even a thing they are bothering with? It's a crappy knockoff of "Sweet Home Alabama"...

I agree and I don't know why they would use a music song as a news theme. Doesn't even sound right for a news theme, no matter how many times WJZY 46 wants to use it just because it was "Carolinas" in it. Eventually, WJZY 46 will have to go to the traditional route just like everybody else because a different format for news won't work and its been proven, time and time again.

If WJZY 46 wants to be successful, they have to go traditional. Its the only way to be successful and for any chance for WJZY 46 to beat WAXN TV 64 and strong second place WCCB 18 in the ratings.

Archived