Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

There is a giant full page ad in the Observer sports section this morning promoting the upcoming newscast on WJZY All of the news reporters are standing there in the newsroom holding cell phones or iPad

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound

Call me different, but I kind of like the concept. It's a little rough around the edges but it isn't terrible. It's better than when WPIX did something like this...

And at least they're rehearsing, they could have just jumped right into this and had all the bugs and everything, hopefully they'll have it all worked out by the time it hits the air.

Also, maybe it's only temporary. If worst comes to worst, WJZY/WMYT will move to a larger studio complex. Notice how unfinished the newsroom looks, they could have made the operation a lot more elaborate. This looks like it could easily be taken down and moved if needed.

First TV newscast is in the books!

While Hey, Hey Carolinas is great for promos, I am not crazy about it as a news theme. Switch to the O&O music! They need more graphics, such as telling who everyone is with their Twitter handles, also the time and temperature need to be displayed.

I like their stories but hope someday they go to an actual set.

Oh God, they're doing the same thing as WFLD and WTXF do and have two people arguing about something.

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/24344199/myfoxcarolinas-boy-scouts-debate

I just want the news, who ever came up with this stupid idea needs to be fired. *sigh* Thank God Fox sold off KTVI so we don't have this crap on there.

And I also agree, Hey Hey Carolinas does make for a great promo but should NOT be the main music for a newscast.

Oh God, they're doing the same thing as WFLD and WTXF do and have two people arguing about something.

I just want the news, who ever came up with this stupid idea needs to be fired. *sigh* Thank God Fox sold off KTVI so we don't have this crap on there.

And I also agree, Hey Hey Carolinas does make for a great promo but should NOT be the main music for a newscast.

KTBC does it as well. It's an hour-long newscast, how do you expect them to fill time?

Fortunately for Geoff Roth and his team they do an outstanding job content wise and not just send the reporters out to whatever comes up on the police scanner. And they don't really do a lot of national news in the newscast which I commend them for.

At least they are not asking their reporters for their opinions anymore. Doing that destroys their credibility. If they must do it, I'd rather them have community experts like this.

They are obviously still in the beginning stages and it'll be interesting to see how it evolves over time. For now, Charlotte has five English language news operations, unprecedented for a market that size. How long will it last though? I could continue to see WCCB doing news for the foreseeable future. Both stations definitely try to go after the younger audience but have different approaches.

If they want to do morning news by the spring, I assume they'll have a studio ready by then.

They do not use their Perceptive Pixel screen right. It's so dumb how it's just flat on a stand. KSAZ has one I think integrated in their awesome Devlin set, and I think they should do that when they get a set. I assume Devlin will do a nice set for them soon. Maybe that part of the building is under construction and they don't have it ready yet.

I know they have the Fox O&O Theme there at the station. They used it for the WX sting during one of the rehearsals. I'm sure they love the country song, but agreeing with everyone else, don't use it for the news.

I didn't see much of the live stream tonight, but I kinda like the touchscreen table thing. I guess it'll take time for them to use it right.

I did see the debate crap, and that's downright hideous on a local newscast. Leave it to cable "news."

Also putting this here because although the newscast debuted, the latter is entirely still possible

308015560_ScreenShot2014-01-01at11_49_38PM.thumb.png.fe7cdb1b3b1e96dbb82e438386984ac7.png

KTBC does it as well. It's an hour-long newscast, how do you expect them to fill time?

With actual news instead of two people arguing? This is something I've only seen the Fox O&O's do, but it drives me nuts because it eats up so much time that could be devoted on other news. Plus I hate the debate format on TV and find it to be counterproductive overall. I know you don't like local stations covering national and international news but I'd rather them cover that instead of a debate. I like watching KPTV from Portland online sometimes because they seem to have a good balance between covering local, national, and international news.

I do agree with you on the touch table thing, I imagine that they're still figuring out how to use it and will probably be in a better spot once they have a studio built.

For now, Charlotte has five English language news operations, unprecedented for a market that size. How long will it last though? I could continue to see WCCB doing news for the foreseeable future. Both stations definitely try to go after the younger audience but have different approaches.

Phoenix was a similar DMA ranking when KNXV's news operation launched in 1994.

WHBQ does that too, but only during their 10:00pm newscast, which is nothing more than a rehash of top stories from 9:00, weather, arguing over hot topics, and then sports.

I still maintain the multitouch table for television news purposes is a solution to nothing, and worse in every single aspect than a similar multitouch wall display. However, I remain open to an argument against that opinion.

Catching the end if the newscast where everyone was surrounding the table, the weather guy was using it, but from the top - it looked weird with hands and tops of his head coming from the top of the screen. For the weather recap, just use the one on the wall!

Also, I understand not airing national news in a local newscast, specifically for big 3 stations - they have a national newscast that runs at 6:30pm/5:30 Central and Mountain. For Fox/CW/My/UPN/WB/independent stations where there is no national newscast, a brief national news overview should be there, to keep people informed. Headlines and web links are fine, but at least get some info out to the viewers.

J

(And yes, I know UPN and WB are defunct - just making a point...)

CLT News Watch says on Twitter that AM and other newscasts will launch in the spring and will have a more traditional format.

I'd be curious how they can make their newscasts "more traditional"? @CLT - I know you browse these forums. If you could do some recon and see "how" they plan to accomplish this. Considering what they have to work with space wise I don't see a desk, etc. appearing anytime soon.

Call me different, but I kind of like the concept. It's a little rough around the edges but it isn't terrible. It's better than when WPIX did something like this...

And at least they're rehearsing, they could have just jumped right into this and had all the bugs and everything, hopefully they'll have it all worked out by the time it hits the air.

Also, maybe it's only temporary. If worst comes to worst, WJZY/WMYT will move to a larger studio complex. Notice how unfinished the newsroom looks, they could have made the operation a lot more elaborate. This looks like it could easily be taken down and moved if needed.

Agreed. Not sure if that translates to an addition to the current building, a move to the old Speed building, or something else entirely. But, I think (at least to me) it's clearly a stop gap measure and not a viable long term set up in it's current arrangement.

Fox hasn't totally abandoned the old Speed building. They still plan to do NASCAR programming there and they set up a new graphics unit for Fox Sports there. So, they are still committed to that building. Plus, to the best of my knowledge they still have a small business office for Fox Sports Carolinas that houses some sales staff (like the other FSN offshoots, FS-Wisconsin, etc.) within Charlotte. So, Fox has 3 facilities in Charlotte right now. I think once they figure out all the space requirements they will move to consolidate everything or expand.

To the best of my knowledge the idea came down from upon high @ FTS. I can't remember which station started the concept but,I believe it was eventually rolled out to most (if not all) of the Fox O&O's in some form or another. Some of them stuck with it others have since dumped or scaled it back. But, most (if not all) of them at least tried it.

I am sorry...but for a network-owned station, I would never have expected a newscast with such low production quality and reporters. I am all for evolving and moving forward technologically but don't use that excuse just to mask being cheap. It is completely awful and I don't even think Cheryl has a prompter? I feel like I am watching a public access or college tv station.

Overall I think the level of quality and most of the reporters are inexcusable for an O&O in DMA 25.

I am sorry...but for a network-owned station, I would never have expected a newscast with such low production quality and reporters. I am all for evolving and moving forward technologically but don't use that excuse just to mask being cheap. It is completely awful and I don't even think Cheryl has a prompter? I feel like I am watching a public access or college tv station.

Overall I think the level of quality and most of the reporters are inexcusable for an O&O in DMA 25.

I agree with you on the "low production quality" part. As far as the reporters? Yes, some of them may be right out of college, but they do put out a good product (content) with minimal resources they are given. They don't just go out and cover every shooting or wreck that happens and I commend them for that. I know a lot of you are getting on them for having debates during the news, but honestly I would rather see that than who got arrested, got shot, or got in a wreck. Besides, the debates are so late in the newscast I usually would not stick around for them.

I would probably not watch WJZY news due to the poor quality, but don't blame the staff, it's not their fault. You can tell they definitely try to put out the best product with the fewest resources.

I blame Jack Abernethy. He's real big on this but yes I think it is a cost cutting measure.

WCCB's quality is also equally bad, but instead of doing debates during the newscast they cover fires, shootings, wrecks.

Sure is! Didn't take them long to listen to me.

Have you asked them to dump "Hey, Hey Carolinas" as the theme music? That would be the best change they could make right now that takes literally no effort on their part...

The last time I heard of a "FoxBox" was that old Fox kids block that became 4Kids TV in 2005 (never saw the light of day in Atlanta). Also, "Hey Hey Carolinas"?! You know, I think I'll just wait before I say anything else, it was really hard to get through that 30 minute trainwreck. It was their first newscast, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

I will say this, I do like that giant touch screen in the center of the studio (the one used like a table, not the stand-up screen).

I agree with you on the "low production quality" part. As far as the reporters? Yes, some of them may be right out of college, but they do put out a good product (content) with minimal resources they are given. They don't just go out and cover every shooting or wreck that happens and I commend them for that. I know a lot of you are getting on them for having debates during the news, but honestly I would rather see that than who got arrested, got shot, or got in a wreck. Besides, the debates are so late in the newscast I usually would not stick around for them.

I would probably not watch WJZY news due to the poor quality, but don't blame the staff, it's not their fault. You can tell they definitely try to put out the best product with the fewest resources.

I blame Jack Abernethy. He's real big on this but yes I think it is a cost cutting measure.

WCCB's quality is also equally bad, but instead of doing debates during the newscast they cover fires, shootings, wrecks.

Have you asked them to dump "Hey, Hey Carolinas" as the theme music? That would be the best change they could make right now that takes literally no effort on their part...

Yes actually I suggested that on Facebook.

I'm not sure what's more appalling...whether something with such poor production values gets on the air and passes for news in 2014, or that a local media outlet would give a bigot like that 10 minutes to make his case.....

I'm not sure what's more appalling...whether something with such more production values gets on the air and passes for news in 2014, or that a local media outlet would give a bigot like that 10 minutes to make his case.....

WSVI... K13XD pre-2010... need I say more? However, for a top-25 market being an owned and operated station, it's kind of ridiculous.

Yes actually I suggested that on Facebook.

When they were producing their test webcast a few weeks ago, I feel really bad hearing "Hey, hey Carolina." So I pumped up the Close of the Fox Affiliate theme, turned the web player down and listened to the traditional Fox theme during the breaks. It felt... Right.

Archived