Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

It almost sounds like even WJZY management has no idea what to ultimately call the station and the news department.

I believe they're now set on FOX Carolinas. Especially if the holiday promos will include it. Their new Instagram is "FOXCarolinas," so I guess the Twitter account will soon change. I have no idea what the newscasts will go by, as mentioned above "FOX Carolinas News" doesn't sound right. I'm surprised FOX is letting them do this, with all other sister stations keeping their channel number.

I'm going out on a limb here. But, I don't think there will be a change visually with the logo. I think they might change their branding elsewhere but, I see the "46" staying in the searchlight logo. Which would make their "branding" choice even more ridiculous.

They need to rethink dropping the 46. Viewers will definitely confuse WJZY with the adjacent WHNS Fox Carolina.

Besides the fact that there is a station in an adjacent market with what would be similar branding. How about the fact that you just moved your affiliation within the damn market! I mean why bother letting people know (and reinforcing the point) that "Channel 46" is Charlotte's new home for Fox. You can just tell them that "Fox Carolinas" is Charlotte's new home instead. That will clearly get the message across. :rolleyes:

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going out on a limb here. But, I don't think there will be a change visually with the logo. I think they might change their branding elsewhere but, I see the "46" staying in the searchlight logo. Which would make their "branding" choice even more ridiculous.

Besides the fact that there is a station in an adjacent market with what would be similar branding. How about the fact that you just moved your affiliation within the damn market! I mean why bother letting people know (and reinforcing the point) that "Channel 46" is Charlotte's new home for Fox. You can just tell them that "Fox Carolinas" is Charlotte's new home instead. That will clearly get the message across. :rolleyes:

That too.

Courtesy FTV Live:

Signing Off in Augusta November 18, 2013/ Scott Jones

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-18%20at%2010.27.15%20AM.png

Archith Seshadri is leaving WJBF in Augusta after 3 years.

He's head up to Charlotte and WJZY-WMYT.

Seshadri was a digital journalist at the Augusta station before moving up to weekend morning anchor in 2012.

“It’s gone by fast, and it certainly is bittersweet. I certainly will miss everybody,” Seshadri said on his last newscast. “Thank you for letting me be part of this community, embracing me. I’m so grateful.”

No word if he will also continue his role as Timmy on CBS's show Rules of Engagement.

OK, we're kidding, but tell me that Seshadri (above) doesn't look just like the actor that played Timmy (below) on the comedy Rules of Engagement? Come on! I mean this is the same person...Right?!

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-18%20at%2010.35.07%20AM.png?format=750w

H/T TVSpy

A lot you can glean from looking at their job postings:

• They will probably have morning news and at least a 10pm news

NEWSCAST DIRECTOR (2 positions – weekday and weekend): Are you a maestro in the Control Room? We are looking for newscast directors for our morning and evening newscasts who can roll with the punches and manage non-traditional newscasts that can turn on a dime. You must be able to handle quick changing newscasts filled with live reports and non-traditional sources of audio and video. Knowledge of manual and automated control room systems as well as newsroom computer systems such as iNews and/or ENPS.

[*]They will definitely have weekend news, probably just a 10pm newscast

[*]They will have bureaus in Concord, Hickory, Monroe, Rock Hill, and Shelby (co-located in Hickory)

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/23588386/jobs-at-wjzy

In slightly related news, WMYT finally changed the name of the general manager on their site but the rest remains the same.

A lot you can glean from looking at their job postings:

• They will probably have morning news and at least a 10pm news
  • They will definitely have weekend news, probably just a 10pm newscast
  • They will have bureaus in Concord, Hickory, Monroe, Rock Hill, and Shelby (co-located in Hickory)

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/23588386/jobs-at-wjzy

In slightly related news, WMYT finally changed the name of the general manager on their site but the rest remains the same.

There's also a listing for a Rock Hill bureau. Are four or five bureau sites necessary in this DMA?

Sheesh, WJZY is forcing down the whole "we're not your tired old local news" with those job listings.

Even though they are hiring a morning newscast director, they aren't hiring morning anchors at this time. They're also undecided on whether the bureaus will be actual offices, or news trucks where reporters are based.

I could be wrong but, I doubt they will have actual offices. The way I read those job postings is that it comes across almost as a work from home/field opportunity. Knowing how much they are investing in "backpack journalists" and ipad reporting I can't help but think this is the case. I mean why would you rent office space for 1-2 reporters who are "one man banding" it? So, the "bureaus" really seem virtual in nature to me. It's more like they will just have their reporters prepositioned in the field by having them live in and cover a specific area.

I almost wonder if this is indirectly related to the small size of the WJZY/WMYT building? If they have a handful of reporters telecommuting and not needing cubicles that frees up a lot of valuable space in that building. And, as Raymie pointed out it helps them really drive home the point of "Hey, We're different."

I almost wonder if this is indirectly related to the small size of the WJZY/WMYT building? If they have a handful of reporters telecommuting and not needing cubicles that frees up a lot of valuable space in that building. And, as Raymie pointed out it helps them really drive home the point of "Hey, We're different."

It does mention in the listing that they will rarely be in the newsroom. They'd be the only ones to do that here, besides WSOC, which has a Hickory Bureau.

Sounds like the launch date for news is around the first week of January if the tweets of some staffers is correct. Maybe a soft launch?

You would think there would be promos touting the upcoming newscast if we were only a month out? Is there any promotion at all or is it still pretty low-key there?

3 weeks from today is December 26! WOW! A Thursday really seems like an odd time to launch. And that seems awfully soon.

The Panthers' playoff prospects probably have WJZY accelerating their start from, say, Super Bowl XLVIII, so that they can get many more viewers.

Archived