Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

We have our Sports Director/Anchor to the soon-to-be FOX 46 News. WHDH Sports Anchor Mike Leslie has joined Charlotte FOX owned station as sports anchor and reporter.

“I spent a few months in Boston freelancing, getting a taste of a “big-market” environment,” said Leslie. “Now I get to come down to Charlotte and be a part of a station starting from the ground up. It’s apparent, just a couple days in, that Fox does things the “right way.”

Leslie came to WJZY from WHDH in Boston. He started his career at WGGB in Springfield, MA.

Mike Leslie is a great get! (I'm biased... We went to school together.)

P.S. Don't forget to cite your sources. That story is from TV Spy: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/mike-leslie-joins-charlottes-wjzy_b106680

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like TMZ Live is coming to FOX46 according to FOX46's Facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=218974464893327&id=202960719828035

Something will have to go to WMYT to make room. My money is on Gloria Allred.

At some point I think the half hour TMZ currently on WCCB will end up on WJZY although can't imagine it being this soon.

While I was watching the ALCS on FOX 46, and.there was a promo for the Thursday Night Football match between Panthers and Buccaneer and that WMYT is going to simulcast the game.

World Series will be going on at the same time on WJZY.

Could definitely see WJZY/WMYT outbidding WCCB for preseason rights when they're up for bid again. The preseason games could air on WMYT and Panthers Huddle could be on WJZY.

• 2 weeks later...

FOX46 Carolinas just told me on Twitter that they are moving towards a branding as "FOX Carolinas," despite a FOX station in South Carolina (WHNS) already going by that branding. Very interesting, as most FOX Owned Stations use their channel number. WLFD changed from FOX Chicago to FOX 32 recently.

EDIT: WHNS goes by FOX Carolina, which WJZY says is not quite the same.

FOX46 Carolinas just told me on Twitter that they are moving towards a branding as "FOX Carolinas," despite a FOX station in South Carolina (WHNS) already going by that branding. Very interesting, as most FOX Owned Stations use their channel number. WLFD changed from FOX Chicago to FOX 32 recently.

EDIT: WHNS goes by FOX Carolina, which WJZY says is not quite the same.

The Greenville-Spartanburg market is adjacent to the Charlotte, meaning that one would be able to get both signals. That's just going to result in a lot of confusion. It's pretty much the same thing NBC did when they branded KNTV "NBC 3" and ditched it within a couple of years.

Pretty stupid move if they do decide to go forward with it.

So what's the newsbrand is going to be? "Fox News Carolinas"? It would be painfully stupid if they call it "Fox Carolinas News".

I don't see any problem with the branding that they have now. Why do we need to go back to what Chicago and Philly have done in the past? And don't give me "because everybody have cable" line.

You can say "Fox Carolina" and "Fox Carolinas" is not the same, but an average viewer who live in between those two stations' areas could start sensing some confusion. And if the new logo look similar to WFLD's last logo 51 weeks ago today, folks will really get confused.

All I have to say is "Honor Your Channel Number!!!!".

So what's the newsbrand is going to be? "Fox News Carolinas"? It would be painfully stupid if they call it "Fox Carolinas News".

I don't see any problem with the branding that they have now. Why do we need to go back to what Chicago and Philly have done in the past? And don't give me "because everybody have cable" line.

You can say "Fox Carolina" and "Fox Carolinas" is not the same, but an average viewer who live in between those two stations' areas could start sensing some confusion. And if the new logo look similar to WFLD's last logo 51 weeks ago today, folks will really get confused.

All I have to say is "Honor Your Channel Number!!!!".

THIS!

Really hope they reconsider dropping the 46. I'm old school, love the virtual channel reference. Plus all other O&O's use it. There is precedence, albeit under Capitol ownership, when WJZY was going to rebrand to CW8 (their cable channel number) but changed their minds.

It's yet another hit to my newsroom, but Ned and Geoff Roth (WJZY's ND) more or less originated the one-man-band by Ipad concept at KRIV (and within Fox), which is what WJZY will primarily be using.

How is the iPad reporting for you guys? Here in some of their reports, the video will shake and movement is more noticeable.

It's yet another hit to my newsroom, but Ned and Geoff Roth (WJZY's ND) more or less originated the one-man-band by Ipad concept at KRIV (and within Fox), which is what WJZY will primarily be using.

So wait...you mean most stories will be shot and edited on an iPad?

And I thought KRON was bad...

So wait...you mean most stories will be shot and edited on an iPad?

And I thought KRON was bad...

That's my understanding for WJZY, yes. They are going primarily the MMJ route with the Ipads, whether they are also hiring traditional photogs (now or in the future), I'm not sure. I've also heard they are also using a new type of live truck set up that uses broadband technology, rather than traditional microwave. However, I can't remember what Geoff Roth (our old EP, WJZY's ND) called the technology. I think it's similar to the backpack units, but on a larger scale with more ability.

How is the iPad reporting for you guys? Here in some of their reports, the video will shake and movement is more noticeable.

We don't do a lot of our stories on the Ipad here in Houston. Maybe 1 or 2 a month. This is one of the first Ipad stories filed at the station (another early example here). Both of these were filed before management was sold on the technology. There are likely more recent examples, but I couldn't tell you which ones they are from merely looking at them.

Since then, they have gone "all out" on the setup. Each reporter now has one assigned to them and they're equipped with a harness that snaps into a tripod and comes equipped with a professional-grade boom mic. AFAIK there's also a professional-grade hand mic as well. I found a picture on our Facebook page of an example of our set up. If I get a chance to snap one at the station I will.

1456576_567473469997901_1432533450_n.jpg

It's likely this is the same set up WZJY will employ to ensure broadcast quality stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BgejgG4XGM&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6YN4FNhAKN3MDO5DbJSnOA

It looks like the branding is already being used on their Digital Journalist clips on their website even though, they are still using the FOX46 logo and the FOX 46 Carolinas branding on tv. I mean, if you are going to change your branding, change it all the way, not just part of the way.

It looks like the branding is already being used on their Digital Journalist clips on their website even though, they are still using the FOX46 logo and the FOX 46 Carolinas branding on tv. I mean, if you are going to change your branding, change it all the way, not just part of the way.

They said that they're slowly moving to the branding. But, if you look at the OTA signals, WJZY reaches the Greenville market of FOX Carolina. Here's a link to the map, made by WBTV: http://www.wbtv.com/global/link.asp?l=468086

It almost sounds like even WJZY management has no idea what to ultimately call the station and the news department.

I believe they're now set on FOX Carolinas. Especially if the holiday promos will include it. Their new Instagram is "FOXCarolinas," so I guess the Twitter account will soon change. I have no idea what the newscasts will go by, as mentioned above "FOX Carolinas News" doesn't sound right. I'm surprised FOX is letting them do this, with all other sister stations keeping their channel number.

Archived