Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

Fox is going to have to pull the plug on that Jimmy Swaggart channel, one way or another. I just don't see them with it on the long haul. I dunno if Bahakel have anymore bandwidth room, but This & Antenna could move to WCCB. That would have Fox with a whole channel by itself in HD with no subchannels, and WMYT with Movies on 55.2 as the only sub.

I agree. The religious channel does need to go. I can't see This moving again. But if Antenna TV is displaced from WJZY, WCCB would be a good fit. Or even WAXN if Cox is willing to add a few subchannels.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old WJZY CW page is all gone. You'd think they would have redirected it by now to myfoxcarolinas.com. Maybe they still will. No update to the new site yet. The countdown ticker says how much time has elapsed since the switch happened (last night at midnight).

Both the "Got Game" and "News Edge" Facebook pages still say Fox. Absolutely inexcusable by WCCB.

The old WJZY CW page is all gone. You'd think they would have redirected it by now to myfoxcarolinas.com. Maybe they still will. No update to the new site yet. The countdown ticker says how much time has elapsed since the switch happened (last night at midnight).

Both the "Got Game" and "News Edge" Facebook pages still say Fox. Absolutely inexcusable by WCCB.

Hopefully the WMYT site is next which still lists Shawn Harris as GM and states Capitol as their owners. As far as the WCCB facebook pages are concerned, I don't think they can change the name without creating a new account (I honestly don't have a Facebook, so I'm not 100% sure). They probably don't want to lose all their likes so they're intact for now. I'd imagine the station is trying to work with Facebook to change the name but keep the same account.

The current myfoxcarolinas.com is probably just a "park page" until news starts up. I'm sure at that point it (and WMYT's site) will migrate to the Worldnow CMS.

Movies! probably goes on 46.2. It wouldn't surprise me if they stuck MundoFox on one of the subchannels. Maybe that instead of the religious stuff on 55.3

Also, I know it's a little early to be talking about their news team but I predict these will be the personalities of Fox 46 News at 10PM. They will try to poach Molly Grantham from Channel 3 to be the Female Anchor. My original choice for female anchor was Morgan Fogarty but she's leaving the market. The male anchor will probably be brought in from another market. Maybe WAGA's Tom Haynes. The chief meteorologist should be Reg Taylor from WCCB. And on sports, Delano Little or Bruce Snyder. It would be cool if this was their main anchor team when they launch news in 2014. I guess I can keep dreaming...

Having said that, I think they will probably start introducing a news team by December. As GM Karen Adams said in that article Nelson R. posted, she wants to bring a station-sponsored Christmas concert to Charlotte like the one WGHP did. Well I looked it up ("The Sealy Fox 8 Holiday Concerts") and the station's news anchors, Neill McNeil and Cindy Farmer were the emcees. I would think that if WJZY is going to do one this year, that would be a great time to use the future news anchors as emcees so that way they can get out and introduce themselves and connect with the community. It'll be great marketing and they can tell the audience of the concert "If you want to check out ABC and XYZ be sure to watch the debut of Fox 46 News in January!"

I'll leave with this:

7l74.jpg(photo from WJZY facebook page)

Yes, that's their GM Karen Adams handing out ice cream as a promotion for Fox. I'd imagine that's the only time she'll be doing a station promotion. I'm sure in the future they will have the faces of the station, the news anchors who they'll be getting soon, doing the promotions for the station.

Hopefully the WMYT site is next which still lists Shawn Harris as GM and states Capitol as their owners. As far as the WCCB facebook pages are concerned, I don't think they can change the name without creating a new account (I honestly don't have a Facebook, so I'm not 100% sure). They probably don't want to lose all their likes so they're intact for now. I'd imagine the station is trying to work with Facebook to change the name but keep the same account.

The current myfoxcarolinas.com is probably just a "park page" until news starts up. I'm sure at that point it (and WMYT's site) will migrate to the Worldnow CMS.

Movies! probably goes on 46.2. It wouldn't surprise me if they stuck MundoFox on one of the subchannels. Maybe that instead of the religious stuff on 55.3

Also, I know it's a little early to be talking about their news team but I predict these will be the personalities of Fox 46 News at 10PM. They will try to poach Molly Grantham from Channel 3 to be the Female Anchor. My original choice for female anchor was Morgan Fogarty but she's leaving the market. The male anchor will probably be brought in from another market. Maybe WAGA's Tom Haynes. The chief meteorologist should be Reg Taylor from WCCB. And on sports, Delano Little or Bruce Snyder. It would be cool if this was their main anchor team when they launch news in 2014. I guess I can keep dreaming...

Having said that, I think they will probably start introducing a news team by December. As GM Karen Adams said in that article Nelson R. posted, she wants to bring a station-sponsored Christmas concert to Charlotte like the one WGHP did. Well I looked it up ("The Sealy Fox 8 Holiday Concerts") and the station's news anchors, Neill McNeil and Cindy Farmer were the emcees. I would think that if WJZY is going to do one this year, that would be a great time to use the future news anchors as emcees so that way they can get out and introduce themselves and connect with the community. It'll be great marketing and they can tell the audience of the concert "If you want to check out ABC and XYZ be sure to watch the debut of Fox 46 News in January!"

I'll leave with this:

7l74.jpg(photo from WJZY facebook page)

Yes, that's their GM Karen Adams handing out ice cream as a promotion for Fox. I'd imagine that's the only time she'll be doing a station promotion. I'm sure in the future they will have the faces of the station, the news anchors who they'll be getting soon, doing the promotions for the station.

Well WMYT did change their logo on their website to My12 so that site could stay until WJZY's gets updated. Although the new ownership and general manager does need to be updated.

I don't see why WJZY would have to wait til they launched their news to update mycarolinas.com. They could at least have a program grid and links to watch Fox shows online.

And WCCB was able to get their Facebook page changed to WCCB Charlotte a while back so yo'd think Got Game and News Edge would have changed too.

Another thing, WJZY's Twitter is still abandoned as CW 46 WJZY.

Also Washburn may confuse some people mentioning the Simpsons in the latest article because the syndicated Simpsons is staying on WCCB, at least for now.

And may be for a while. Don't know if this is the start of a trend, or one-off for Houston, but KRIV has removed "The Simpsons" from the schedule. Double run of Big Bang Theory now fills the 6:00pm hour and there's no more late (11:00pm) ep (also no 10:30 run of tBBT).

They stunted like this over the summer of 2011, running TMZ and Simpsons from 6:00 - 7:00 untl tBBT arrived that fall. They could be getting ready for a new syndicated program to pair with tBBT this fall.

And may be for a while. Don't know if this is the start of a trend, or one-off for Houston, but KRIV has removed "The Simpsons" from the schedule. Double run of Big Bang Theory now fills the 6:00pm hour and there's no more late (11:00pm) ep (also no 10:30 run of tBBT).

They stunted like this over the summer of 2011, running TMZ and Simpsons from 6:00 - 7:00 untl tBBT arrived that fall. They could be getting ready for a new syndicated program to pair with tBBT this fall.

Modern Family? Pretty sure FTSG acquired it for your market, too. And, I believe WJZY ended up with it in Charlotte.

Did they move the Simpsons repeats to My20? If that's the case, this ain't nothing new. WFTC My29 in MN air the Simpsons repeats (not on the mothership KMSP 9).

Did WJZY pick up Modern Family when it was owned by Capitol? (It airing on the Fox O&Os makes sense; Modern Family is a product of TCFTV/20th TV)

WFTC must have had the Simpsons repeats going back to when it was a Fox affiliate...

Did WJZY pick up Modern Family when it was owned by Capitol? (It airing on the Fox O&Os makes sense; Modern Family is a product of TCFTV/20th TV)

WFTC must have had the Simpsons repeats going back to when it was a Fox affiliate...

The sale wasn't announced until January 28. It's possible they could have known about the sale though when they picked it up.

If was to guess WJZY picked it up upon it's purchase. But, I've never seen anything stating when it was picked up in Charlotte.

Yes, the Simpsons on WFTC are a holdover from when it was the Fox affiliate.

Also, I guess I should have mentioned this, too. But, the syndicated Simpsons reruns are also on hiatus until fall here in MSP, too. They moved the Family Guy reuns into those slots. I wonder if Fox is trying to gauge the value of the syndicated Simpsons by pulling it and seeing what reaction they get.

If was to guess WJZY picked it up upon it's purchase. But, I've never seen anything stating when it was picked up in Charlotte.

Yes, the Simpsons on WFTC are a holdover from when it was the Fox affiliate.

Also, I guess I should have mentioned this, too. But, the syndicated Simpsons reruns are also on hiatus until fall here in MSP, too. They moved the Family Guy reuns into those slots. I wonder if Fox is trying to gauge the value of the syndicated Simpsons by pulling it and seeing what reaction they get.

I'm not sure how it was up in Minnesota, but here in St. Louis KDNL (which has the syndicated rights to the Simpsons, most likely from its days as a Fox affiliate), has only been showing the newer seasons of The Simpsons which aren't as popular as the older seasons were. They also moved it from a 6-7PM timeslot, that has been there since they abandoned the news back in 2002 and was considered the highest rated non-ABC time slot, to a 12:05 time slot after Nightline.

It does seem like a growing trend.

The syndicated rights for The Simpsons go back to 1994. Back then stations signed on for exclusive local rights to Simpsons broadcasts until the show ends. So basically until the show ends for good, no other local station can air Simpsons reruns even if the one with the syndicated rights to it doesn't want to air it.

It's a very unique contract but explains why stations like WFTC, KDNL, WATL, WNOL, and WCCB still have the rights to The Simpsons even after losing their Fox affiliation.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/492742-News_Corp_s_Enviable_Doh_lemma_Over_The_Simpsons_.php

There is a mentality in the media business that newer is better, without question. That said, KDVR isn't as adherent to this as some other stations sound like they are; I've seen some older episodes of the show on there (they do a weeknight double run of the show at the 6PM hour).

Is the show getting too expensive for these stations? Might be one of the trade-offs of the fact that 20th doesn't sell national advertising for the show...

KABB used to run "King of the Hill" at 5 and "The Simpsons" at 5:30 plus another run of "The Simpsons" at 10pm as an alternative to the 10pm news on the other stations. "The Simpsons" at 10 after the news has been a staple on KABB for years and years and years (ever since it entered syndication). They still run it at 10 and they run a nice blend of new and old with a slight emphasis on newer episodes. but really nothing older than 1993. KABB, in 2012, dumped "King of the Hill" entirely and the 5:30 airing of "The Simpsons" in favor of a double run of "Family Feud".

Sorry for the double post but I was thinking...

WJZY's and WCCB's current schedules are rather interesting. Without making the post too too long, I decided to compare them to a typical Fox and CW affiliate (OK, KABB and KMYS) and analyze the situation as well as what I think their future holds for these two stations now belonging to different networks.

Here's a typical 24-hour weekday schedule for both stations

WJZY vs. KABB

WJZY

5am-7am: informercials; 7-9am: "The Daily Buzz"; 9am: New Adventures of Old Christine; 9:30am: Roseanne; 10am: The Adventures of Old Christine; 10:30am: King of Queens; 11a-12pm: Seinfeld; 12pm-1: Frasier; 1-2: Ricki Lake; 2-3: America's Funniest Home Videos; 3-4: Family Feud; 4-5: Steve Harvey; 5-6:Trisha Goddard; 6-6:30: Rules of Engagement; 6:30-7: The King of Queens; 7-8: Two and a Half Men; 8-10: Fox Primetime; 10: Fox 46 10 O'clock news; 10:30: Dish Nation; 11: 30 Rock; 11:30: Rules of Engagement; 12am: 30 Rock; 12:30: The Office; 1am: The Office; 1:30am: Dish Nation; 2am: infomercials; 3am: "Excused"; 4am: Scrubs

KABB

5-9am "Fox News First"; 9-10am-"Daytime at Nine"; 10-11am-Judge Joe Brown; 11am-12pm-Judge Mathis; 12-1-The People's Court; 1-2-Judge Alex; 2-3-Divorce Court; 3-4 Dr. Phil; 4-5 The Ricki Lake Show; 5-6 Family Feud; 6-7 Two and a Half Men; 7-9 Fox Primetime; 9-10 Fox News at Nine; 10-The Simpsons; 10:30-Family Guy; 11-Seinfeld; 11:30 Everybody Loves Raymond; 12-Rules of Engagement; 12:30 King of Queens; 1-Scrubs; 1:30-2:30 infomercials; 2:30-Excused; 3am-The Jeff Probst Show; 4am-The People's Court

And now the CW affiliates, WCCB vs. KMYS:

WCCB

5am-WCCB News Rising; 9am-The 700 Club; 10am-Jerry Springer Show

(Note: I love this setup. They play "The 700 Club" then right afterwards turn around and air Jerry Springer. :confused: What a complete 180.)

11am-Steve Wilkos; 12pm-Maury; 1pm-Bill Cunnigham; 2pm-Steve Wilkos; 3pm-Maury; 4pm-Anderson Live; 5pm-Ellen DeGeneres Show; 6pm-TMZ; 6:30-Extra; 7pm-Big Bang Theory; 8-10-CW Primetime; 10-10:30 WCCB News at 10; 10:30-11 WCCB News Edge; 11-11:30 The Simpsons; 11:30-12 King of the Hill; 12-1-How I Met Your Mother; 1-2 Everybody Loves Raymond; 2-3:30 Infomercials; 3:30-4-It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia; 4-4:30 TMZ; 4:30-5 WCCB News at 10 repeat

KMYS

5am-7am-Religious programming; 7am-informercial; 7:30am-Jack Hanna (E/I program); 8am-The Jeremy Kyle Show; 9am-Maury; 10am-Jerry Springer; 11am-The Steve Wilkos Show; 12pm-Trisha Goddard Show; 1pm-Wendy Williams Show; 2-Cops; 2:30-Cheaters; 3-The Bill Cunningham Show; 4-Maury; 5-The Big Bang Theory; 6-Access Hollywood; 6:30-TMZ; 7-9-CW Primetime; 9-How I Met Your Mother; 10-Dish Nation; 10:30-TMZ; 11-Family Guy; 11:30-King of the Hill; 12-American Dad!; 12:30-Baggage; 1-30 Rock; 1:30-The Office; 2am-It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia; 2:30am-The Office; 3am-According to Jim; 3:30am-That 70's Show; 4am-Seinfeld

4:30am-The New Adventures of Old Christine

ANALYSIS: Actually, I was quite surprised to see that KABB and WJZY share a lot of the same shows. WJZY seemed to air "better shows" than some of the other CW affiliates. CW fits WCCB like a glove especially due to amount of trash programming they air (I usually associate those types of shows with CW and My Net affiliates). Surprisngly, neither WJZY nor WCCB seems to air a lot of court shows that are popular with most Fox O&Os and affiliates. The bulk of those in Charlotte air on WMYT and WAXN (I almost forgot that station existed). The "quality" talk shows most Fox O&Os air like Dr. OZ are on WSOC. So this is challenging. I can see WMYT and WJZY doing some major schedule shifting in the fall. First of all, they can kiss bye-bye to Trisha Goddard. They will probably buy the rights to Judge Judy from WCNC and air it there. I think The Daily Buzz stays until January but then the 4:30am-10am slot gets filled with a newscast. They will also probably have a 5PM newscast and a 10PM newscast. Once the 10PM news establishes itself they will then launch "Fox 46 News Edge at 11" (even cooler if they just use the "News Edge" branding for all newscasts like KTBC does). After that then they will work on more newscasts in different timeslots. If I had the opportunity to rewrite the schedule...

4:30-7AM: Fox 46 Morning News Edge; 7-9AM: Good Day Carolinas; 9-10AM: Fox 46 Morning News EXTRA! (like KRIV); 10-11AM: Steve Harvey Show; 11-11:30AM: Modern Family; 11:30A-12PM: Seinfeld; 12-1PM: Fox 46 News Edge at Noon; 1-2PM: Judge Mathis (moves from WMYT); 2-3PM: The People's Court (also from WMYT); 3-4PM: Family Feud; 4-5PM: Judge Judy (acquired from WCNC); 5-6PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 5; 6-8PM remain unchanged; 8-10PM: Fox programming; 10-11PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 10; 11-11:30PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 11; 11:30-12AM: Dish Nation; 12AM-12:30AM: Family Guy; 12:30AM-1AM: Seinfeld; 1AM-1:30AM: The Office; 1:30-2AM: 30 Rock; 2AM-3AM: infomercials; 3AM-3:30AM: Excused; 3:30AM-4:30AM: Scrubs

If I missed any of their current shows, that means they can move over to WMYT. Also the duopoly is now co-owned with 20th Television so hopefully the duplication of shows across the two stations will stop now that they have access to more programming. The lowbrow shows (*cough* Trisha Goddard *cough*) can move over to WAXN or WCCB. Hopefully Fox 46 can also get Ellen DeGeneres if possible. Frasier can go to WMYT as well.

Now that they have a full-time Creative Services Director (Council Bradshaw) and a full-time Programming Director (Chris Wolf, who previously did both jobs), the quality of the off-network programming will improve significantly. The quality of the promotions improved almost immediately once Bradshaw took over so this frees Wolf to focus solely on improving their schedule.

Thoughts?

A Fox station with less court crap is a good thing. KDVR runs that dreck all day (the only "good" first-run syndicated show they have is Live! with Kelly and Michael); pretty much anything they run during the daytime and early evenings that isn't news or the Simpsons is filler.

Here's my stab at a fall 2014 Fox 46 schedule.

4:30 Good Day Carolinas

9:00 Good Day Extra

10:00 Steve Harvey

11:00 Rachael Ray (they're getting this from WBTV, I know because they liked their FB page

Noon Fox 46 News at Noon

12:30 Dish Nation

1:00 Family Feud

1:30 Family Feud

2:00 People's Court

3:00 Judge Judy

3:30 Judge Judy

4:00 Dr. Oz (they're acquiring this from WSOC)

5:00 News

6:00 News

7:00 Modern Family

7:30 Two and a Half Men

10:00 Fox 46 News at 10

11:00 Two and a Half Men

11:30 Modern Family

Midnight Dish Nation

12:30 Rules of Engagement

1 am 30 Rock

1:30 King of Queens

2am Infomercials

3am Infomercials

3:30 Repeat of Fox 46 News at 10

As for the 700 Club on WCCB, that contract 700 Club has with their stations is pretty iron-clad I believe and there's probably only certain times it can be aired. It has been on WCCB since at least the 90s, probably longer than that.

Ellen on a Fox and now CW station sounds very odd to me. WCCB must've paid a pretty penny for those rights.

Isn't Ellen becoming the big daytime talk show now that Oprah is done? I imagine that once WCCB's contract is up, stations like WBTV, WSOC, and WCNC would try to get the rights for that if they could.

(My guess is WCNC since Gannett airs Ellen on a few of their stations)

Did they move the Simpsons repeats to My20? If that's the case, this ain't nothing new. WFTC My29 in MN air the Simpsons repeats (not on the mothership KMSP 9).

So far as I can tell, it's not on KTXH's schedule either. I suppose it's possible it's just being rested for the summer or could show up on MY20 this fall. MY20 relies heavily on the Tyler Perry sitcoms in their afternoon comedy with double runs of "House of Payne," "Meet the Browns" from 4:00 - 6:00 and "Are We There Yet" (yes, I'm aware this is not a Perry-produced program) from 6:00 - 7:00, so I don't know how "The Simpsons" would fit into that.

And "Modern Family" was my first thought on what would fill out the 6:00pm hour this fall on KRIV.

Archived