Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

Looks like WJZY and WMYT are staying at their current location but they will be building a newsroom.

Its exactly what I thought. Even though Speed Channel has more space to build, they might have wanted to keep the operations separate. But with staying there, it is going to be tight.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't sound like they are planning to move into the old Speed channel studios

Looks like WJZY and WMYT are staying at their current location but they will be building a newsroom.

Its exactly what I thought. Even though Speed Channel has more space to build, they might have wanted to keep the operations separate. But with staying there, it is going to be tight.

Remember that Fox is converting Speed Channel to "Fox Sports 1" next month. If the network is staying put in Charlotte, it wouldn't be a shock to see their other sports networks move under the same roof; thus, not enough room left for WJZY/WMYT.

Fox may ultimately try to find larger studios for WJZY/WMYT, but may try to do the most with what they have in the meantime.

I'd like for them to put WJZY and WMYT signs back up on the I-85 side of the studios. Don't understand why they took them down. Motorists traveling 85 were able to see that it is the WJZY and WMYT studios. Maybe they fell down in the storm and they just didn't put them back up?

Fox 46 is using an ice cream truck to promote the switch this weekend. They will be driving around Charlotte, giving everyone a "cool treat, with the kick off to Fox." It seems like a very unique promotion.

Link to Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/FOX46-Carolinas/202960719828035?ref=ts&fref=ts

Very clever!

Mark Washburn talks like Fox 46 Carolinas news will launch in January, so I think the night of the NFC championship game (January 19) would be a good time to start it, since it's Fox's turn to have the 6:30 slot this year.

Mark Washburn talks like Fox 46 Carolinas news will launch in January, so I think the night of the NFC championship game (January 19) would be a good time to start it, since it's Fox's turn to have the 6:30 slot this year.

Fox 46 originally told me that they are looking at a date in January.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/28/4135683/fox-and-cw-networks-switch-stations.html#.Uc5UxpfW5kc.facebook

Wonder what the WCCB 4pm announcement on Monday will be?

WCCB too conservative? Ha!

No more Charlotte Now after Sunday night. Not even on WMYT.

It was painful reading that article.

In the first TV affiliation switch in Charlotte since 1978...

He must be forgetting 2006, when WJZY/WMYT flipped from UPN and WB to CW and MyNetwork, respectively.

And,

WCCB (Channel 18), owned by Charlotte-based Bahakel Communications, had been the city’s Fox affiliate since the network was launched in 1989.

Fox launched in '86, not '89. Wow...

1987 I would've understood since they launched primetime that year. But really. 1989? Wow, just wow.

It was painful reading that article.

He must be forgetting 2006, when WJZY/WMYT flipped from UPN and WB to CW and MyNetwork, respectively.

And,

Fox launched in '86, not '89. Wow...

1987 I would've understood since they launched primetime that year. But really. 1989? Wow, just wow.

He also has WJZY on channel 55 instead of 46. I doubt the author will win any accolades with that type of writing.

Well the whole country was involved in that one.

But wow, didn't catch the WJZY channel 55 nor the Fox launching in 1989 goof.

I didn't think he needed to mention about those because WB/UPN were network closedowns & CW/MyN were startups. Those weren't actual affiliation switches. All the other errors of the article are obvious.

Another tidbit. The date of the last affiliation switch in Charlotte was July 1, 1978. It also involving WCCB, when ABC was dropped by them, moved to WSOC, while the NBC affiliation was moved from WSOC to Independent WRET (now WCNC). So approximately 35 years later, history repeats itself once again.

Also Washburn may confuse some people mentioning the Simpsons in the latest article because the syndicated Simpsons is staying on WCCB, at least for now.

Yep, that can be very misleading. That's why I stated earlier on this thread about that situation. I hope when the deal expires, Fox can snag the Simpsons repeats to WJZY.

Oh and I promised to show you this B&C article about the current dilemma about the Syndie Simpsons situation.

Yep, that can be very misleading. That's why I stated earlier on this thread about that situation. I hope when the deal expires, Fox can snag the Simpson repeats to WJZY.

Oh and I promised to show you this B&C article about the current dilemma about the Syndie Simpsons situation.

Sounds like the current deal goes on for one more year so they could very well move to WJZY next year.

I also hope WJZY can dump the "Trisha Goddard Show" when they get a chance. That is lowbrow programming IMO. You find it only on MyNet and CW stations and it's odd to see a Fox O&O with it. Also when they dump that horrible announcer guy they are using now they pretty much will wipe the fact they were once a CW affiliate.

Wish nothing but the best to them as they switch to Fox. Exciting times in Charlotte right now I'd imagine.

I also hope WJZY can dump the "Trisha Goddard Show" when they get a chance. That is lowbrow programming IMO. You find it only on MyNet and CW stations and it's odd to see a Fox O&O with it. Also when they dump that horrible announcer guy they are using now they pretty much will wipe the fact they were once a CW affiliate.

Wish nothing but the best to them as they switch to Fox. Exciting times in Charlotte right now I'd imagine.

I know! Trisha is unwatchable. And it probably gets killed by the newscasts on 3, 9 and 36 and by Ellen on 18 at 5. They ought to hand it off to WMYT.

Well, Trisha came from ITV, so it's understandable to be disgusted by it. Of course, she taped her first ITV show at what was otherwise a respectable station, Anglia (makers of Knightmare, the virtual kids' game show, and a lot of documentaries thanks to their factual department, which was recently shut down, unfortunately, and the station that used a statue of a knight on horseback for 39 years).

I also hope WJZY can dump the "Trisha Goddard Show" when they get a chance. That is lowbrow programming IMO. You find it only on MyNet and CW stations and it's odd to see a Fox O&O with it.

Trisha is also shown on FOX stations, including the one in my area. Plus, Trisha is renewed for a second season. Hope WJZY moves the show somewhere in the midday other than 5pm. Plus, Ricki Lake's new show got cancelled, so maybe they'll put Trisha at 1pm.

Read on another board 46.3 and 46.4 have disappeared. Not a surprise. I just wonder where Movies! is going to end up. Surprising This TV went to 55.2 instead of that. Wonder if Movies! will replace the religious channel on 55.3 or Antenna TV on 46.2.

Read on another board 46.3 and 46.4 have disappeared. Not a surprise. I just wonder where Movies! is going to end up. Surprising This TV went to 55.2 instead of that. Wonder if Movies! will replace the religious channel on 55.3 or Antenna TV on 46.2.

Fox is going to have to pull the plug on that Jimmy Swaggart channel, one way or another. I just don't see them with it on the long haul. I dunno if Bahakel have anymore bandwidth room, but This & Antenna could move to WCCB. That would have Fox with a whole channel by itself in HD with no subchannels, and WMYT with Movies on 55.2 as the only sub.

Archived