Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Okay, Charlotte Observer posted this chart that WCCB's newscast has taken a big hit since they'd lost its Fox affiliate last month. (The article primarily talks about the Raycom-Dish Network blackout, which has since be resolved). It looks like WSOC-produced news on WAXN 64 has been getting a increase of viewership, while WCCB has been slipping to third place on its morning and 10pm news.

Okay' date=' Charlotte Observer posted this chart that WCCB's newscast has taken a big hit since they'd lost its Fox affiliate last month. (The article primarily talks about the Raycom-Dish Network blackout, which has since be resolved). It looks like WSOC-produced news on WAXN 64 has been getting a increase of viewership, while WCCB has been slipping to third place on its morning and 10pm news.

I think the ratings will change again when the prime time shows start their new seasons in the fall. WCCB has lost nearly 17,000 viewers at 10 (Based on May Sweeps) since losing the Fox Affilifation.

I think the ratings will change again when the prime time shows start their new seasons in the fall. WCCB has lost nearly 17,000 viewers at 10 (Based on May Sweeps) since losing the Fox Affilifation.

And it won't be good for CCB. What I'm interested is once Fox starts their in-house ops. in '14, we'll see how they do with that, and will it change the lead because so far, it looks like its going to be WAXN as a 10pm leader for a good while.

And it won't be good for CCB. What I'm interested is once Fox starts their in-house ops. in '14, we'll see how they do with that, and will it change the lead because so far, it looks like its going to be WAXN as a 10pm leader for a good while.

Well, WAXN is produced by WSOC, the market leader. I'm a little surprised that WJZY hired one of their journalists right out of college, for their in house news program. But, with Fox primetime programming, the news ratings on WJZY should increase. All I see is WCCB losing even more viewers, come fall.

I can't say I'm surprise, but I hope WCCB won't continue to lose viewers like this because the station moral is already down from losing the Fox affiliation and now this put on top of it. I hope things will turn around for them.

I can't say I'm surprise, but I hope WCCB won't continue to lose viewers like this because the station moral is already down from losing the Fox affiliation and now this put on top of it. I hope things will turn around for them.

They have been airing the Panthers preseason games, along with on-air staff anchoring a pre-game show. But, the NFL season will be airing on WJZY. That will definitely bring Fox 46 a lot of viewers.

• 2 weeks later...

From WJZY's FB page just now...

998586_211720898952017_1878864490_n.jpg

553442_211688982288542_1621664909_n.jpg

They're getting ready to build the newsroom. I posted a comment asking if they're still on track for a Jan/Feb launch and they responded that it was the goal.

On top of that they've been posting pics of their off-camera staff, so they're adding piece by piece.

I guess they aren't expanding the building? The newsroom is small compared to others. (Maybe its the same size as WCCB)

It's not that small... KABB has a much smaller newsroom than even that.

I would imagine they would have to expand for the studio though...

This looks like it used to be space for sales staff.

Another interesting pic from their FB page:

20191_210304062427034_1045641501_n.jpg

There's a sneak peek at their new news logo (looks more polished than the current logo).

There's still hope that they will brand their news "Fox 46 News Edge" (KTBC's logo also just says "News").

Can someone update me, have they dropped that really bad voiceover (hold over from the CW46 days)? His name is actually Ryan Drean (one of his alternate voices, I heard it in his demo). If not, I hope they do so by the time they get news. He is not suitable for an Fox O&O.

It's not that small... KABB has a much smaller newsroom than even that.

I would imagine they would have to expand for the studio though...

This looks like it used to be space for sales staff.

Another interesting pic from their FB page:

20191_210304062427034_1045641501_n.jpg

There's a sneak peek at their new news logo (looks more polished than the current logo).

There's still hope that they will brand their news "Fox 46 News Edge" (KTBC's logo also just says "News").

Can someone update me, have they dropped that really bad voiceover (hold over from the CW46 days)? His name is actually Ryan Drean (one of his alternate voices, I heard it in his demo). If not, I hope they do so by the time they get news. He is not suitable for an Fox O&O.

Yes I'm pretty sure that's him.

Also I hope WJZY doesn't have the News Edge branding. WCCB already has a News Edge and they kept it when they switched. Not all Fox O&O's have it anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have our Sports Director/Anchor to the soon-to-be FOX 46 News. WHDH Sports Anchor Mike Leslie has joined Charlotte FOX owned station as sports anchor and reporter.

“I spent a few months in Boston freelancing, getting a taste of a “big-market” environment,” said Leslie. “Now I get to come down to Charlotte and be a part of a station starting from the ground up. It’s apparent, just a couple days in, that Fox does things the “right way.”

Leslie came to WJZY from WHDH in Boston. He started his career at WGGB in Springfield, MA.

Archived