Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

Ellen on a Fox and now CW station sounds very odd to me. WCCB must've paid a pretty penny for those rights.

Isn't Ellen becoming the big daytime talk show now that Oprah is done? I imagine that once WCCB's contract is up, stations like WBTV, WSOC, and WCNC would try to get the rights for that if they could.

(My guess is WCNC since Gannett airs Ellen on a few of their stations)

Yes Ellen could replace Judge Judy at 3 on WCNC if Judy were to move to WJZY. WBTV doesn't have room unless they axed their 4:00 news. WSOC could since Dr. Oz is moving to WJZY but my guess is WCNC if she moves.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Ellen could replace Judge Judy at 3 on WCNC if Judy were to move to WJZY. WBTV doesn't have room unless they axed their 4:00 news. WSOC could since Dr. Oz is moving to WJZY but my guess is WCNC if she moves.

I forgot about Dr. Oz. I think Fox O&O's might have the group rights to that unlike Judge Judy which isn't aired on a few of the Fox O&O's (WNYW and WFLD come to mind where instead the CBS O&O's WCBS and WBBM air them instead).

So WJZY might not go after the Judge Judy rights and go after the Dr. Oz rights instead.

I think it depends on which market, especially where O&Os overlap.

NBC O&Os predominately air "The Steve Harvey show," but it's shown on the KRIV here.

On the flip side, as noted, Fox O&Os predominately carry "Dr. Oz" but KPRC has it in Houston.

So I don't think it's necessarily a group buy. Or if it is, local station management is given the option of picking it or passing it off (in some cases). And I think once it's passed on, even if it proves a hit, the option is likely gone since the current station won't want to give it up.

Though, that's not necessarily always the case. The "Ellen" show comes to mind in Houston, where it has aired on no less than 4 stations. When it premiered, "ellen" started out on then-English language Indie KNWS-51 (now Spanish-language KYAZ), the jumped to KTXH-20 for a couple of years before ending up on KPRC and now KHOU.

Being that WJZY is the only network O&O in Charlotte, they might have some clout in bringing some of the group buys over from the competition

The WCCB web team just replied to cltnewswatch and I on Twitter. Facebook has not allowed them to change the names of the Got Game and News Edge pages. I am aware of the 200 like rule, which I am not a fan of. It seems to me like if Facebook let them change their main page they'd let them change the others. WCCB is aware their pages need to change and if they don't they will go to Plan B which I imagine is starting all over.

So WJZY might not go after the Judge Judy rights and go after the Dr. Oz rights instead.

Dr. Oz has been renewed through Fox Television Stations through 2017. Currently it is on WSOC (ABC) but in Fall 2014, it will move to WJZY. I hope WSOC goes after Ellen, it would be a good lead-in for the news at 5.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/493582-Exclusive_SPT_s_Dr_Oz_Renewed_on_Fox_Owned_TV_Stations_Through_2017.php

Maybe WSOC will start a 4pm newscast once they drop Dr. Oz. I know there is already 2 in the market but sister stations WSB and WFTV have 4pm newscasts, so that could work. Maybe it'll shove WCNC out at 4.

Maybe WSOC will start a 4pm newscast once they drop Dr. Oz. I know there is already 2 in the market but sister stations WSB and WFTV have 4pm newscasts, so that could work. Maybe it'll shove WCNC out at 4.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this happened.

Oh and to the poster who posted his proposed WJZY schedule, WCCB still has their News Edge. So even if WCCB dumps that down the road I wouldn't expect WJZY to brand their news as News Edge. Much like WJZY didn't go with Fox 46 Charlotte (since WCCB was Fox Charlotte).

Carolinas is a better branding because it refers to the whole viewing area. And I like the Fox O&O's including the channel number. WCCB's old "Fox News" branding could have been used anywhere.

Oh and to the poster who posted his proposed WJZY schedule, WCCB still has their News Edge. So even if WCCB dumps that down the road I wouldn't expect WJZY to brand their news as News Edge. Much like WJZY didn't go with Fox 46 Charlotte (since WCCB was Fox Charlotte).

Carolinas is a better branding because it refers to the whole viewing area. And I like the Fox O&O's including the channel number. WCCB's old "Fox News" branding could have been used anywhere.

I based most of that of off KTBC Austin, who brands their news as "Fox 7 News Edge at (time)" with the morning news known as "Fox 7 News Edge in the Morning" and "Good Day Austin" (7-10AM portion). The schedule was also based off of a combo of factors. I didn't realize they were getting Rachael Ray or Dr. Oz though because that is better than what I proposed.

Here's my rewrite:

4:30-7AM: Fox 46 Morning News Edge; 7-9AM: Good Day Carolinas; 9-10AM: Fox 46 Morning News EXTRA! (like KRIV); 10-11AM: Rachael Ray Show; 11-11:30AM: Modern Family; 11:30A-12PM: Seinfeld; 12-1PM: Fox 46 News Edge at Noon; 1-2PM: Judge Mathis (moves from WMYT); 2-3PM: The People's Court (also from WMYT); 3-4PM: Judge Judy; 4-5PM: The Dr. Oz Show; 5-6PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 5; 6-8PM remain unchanged; 8-10PM: Fox programming; 10-11PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 10; 11-11:30PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 11; 11:30-12AM: Dish Nation; 12AM-12:30AM: Family Guy; 12:30AM-1AM: Seinfeld; 1AM-1:30AM: The Office; 1:30-2AM: 30 Rock; 2AM-3AM: infomercials; 3AM-3:30AM: Excused; 3:30AM-4:30AM: Scrubs

And for the news open (hopefully with Scott Chapin's VO), "Giving you the Carolina Edge, Fox 46 News Edge at (time)." I don't know what Geoff Roth's style is like but Pam Vaught's (KTBC ND) style is "Watch. Engage. Debate." They do a lot of debates and analysis on the news at five and nine. I don't know if that would work in Charlotte since it's not the state capital but it's a unique take, much better than the other Fox O&O's especially KTTV who I do not consider a legitimate news source. KTBC doesn't do a whole lot of fluff/entertainment news outside of mornings which I like. WAGA also mirrors KTBC in their news format. I guess I could keep dreaming that WJZY hopefully becomes a clone of KTBC and not like the other Fox O&Os who emphasize style over substance.

And I think, at the least, when they do news they will have news from at least 4:30-10AM, and a 10PM. But it would not surprise me if they went with a noon (or an 11AM, which I would name Fox 46 News Edge Live at Eleven) and a 5. 11PM might be asking a bit much.

I also wish they would dump "30 Rock", that show has too many NBC connotations to be airing on a Fox O&O. ;) But as long as they dump Trisha I'm fine. Don't even air it on WMYT. Sell it to WCCB so they can air it with Jerry, Steve, and Maury.

Here's my rewrite:

4:30-7AM: Fox 46 Morning News Edge; 7-9AM: Good Day Carolinas; 9-10AM: Fox 46 Morning News EXTRA! (like KRIV); 10-11AM: Rachael Ray Show; 11-11:30AM: Modern Family; 11:30A-12PM: Seinfeld; 12-1PM: Fox 46 News Edge at Noon; 1-2PM: Judge Mathis (moves from WMYT); 2-3PM: The People's Court (also from WMYT); 3-4PM: Judge Judy; 4-5PM: The Dr. Oz Show; 5-6PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 5; 6-8PM remain unchanged; 8-10PM: Fox programming; 10-11PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 10; 11-11:30PM: Fox 46 News Edge at 11; 11:30-12AM: Dish Nation; 12AM-12:30AM: Family Guy; 12:30AM-1AM: Seinfeld; 1AM-1:30AM: The Office; 1:30-2AM: 30 Rock; 2AM-3AM: infomercials; 3AM-3:30AM: Excused; 3:30AM-4:30AM: Scrubs

I really hope that they don't brand all newscasts as "Fox 46 News Edge at ___." The "Edge" program that we have now on WCCB, is not really a "traditional newscast" so it may confuse people in the area.

It's way too soon for FOX 46 to add newscasts; they're just focusing on the soon-to-be start up 10pm newscasts in January, maybe they'll start adding a Morning,

Noon and 5pm news in the fall of next year or early as 2015, but for right now let's just see how it goes.

It's way too soon for FOX 46 to add newscasts; they're just focusing on the soon-to-be start up 10pm newscasts in January, maybe they'll start adding a Morning,

Noon and 5pm news in the fall of next year or early as 2015, but for right now let's just see how it goes.

Its not expected for them to get more newscasts until Fall 2014. Before they can even launch their newscast in January, they need to build a whole new studio, and start their newsroom.

Its not expected for them to get more newscasts until Fall 2014. Before they can even launch their newscast in January, they need to build a whole new studio, and start their newsroom.

Yeah, it seems like the priority right now is the get their facilities ready and launch a 10pm newscast, and they could theoretically be ready to launch a morning newscast at the same time as well. I think that it took about 5 or 6 months for KSWB to be up and running with their newscasts from the time they announced their affiliation switch to FOX. Of course they launched their newscasts the same day as the switch, but I think that getting the facilities ready at WJZY is what probably held them back from launching newscasts sooner. Either way, it looks like FOX and the WJZY management team are really trying to do this the right way and I doubt that they are going the cheap route to do so.

Yeah, it seems like the priority right now is the get their facilities ready and launch a 10pm newscast, and they could theoretically be ready to launch a morning newscast at the same time as well. I think that it took about 5 or 6 months for KSWB to be up and running with their newscasts from the time they announced their affiliation switch to FOX. Of course they launched their newscasts the same day as the switch, but I think that getting the facilities ready at WJZY is what probably held them back from launching newscasts sooner. Either way, it looks like FOX and the WJZY management team are really trying to do this the right way and I doubt that they are going the cheap route to do so.

Since the two stations were purchased for $18 million, in Market 25, they definitely have a lot of money to spend on the station for new facilities, studios, news operations. The news director, I think, mentioned that he wanted to add the latest technology to the station so that they could present newscasts that are different from others in the market.

I really hope that they don't brand all newscasts as "Fox 46 News Edge at ___." The "Edge" program that we have now on WCCB, is not really a "traditional newscast" so it may confuse people in the area.

KTBC is the only O&O that utilitzes a "News Edge" brand for all newscasts. AFAIK, if other O&Os have used the "News Edge" brand, it's generally been for 11pm newscasts only.

Safe to say that WJZY's newscasts will formally take the "Fox 46 News" name.

They finally changed the old CW 46 Twitter account to Fox 46 Carolinas. Same account, just converted to @fox46carolinas. Took them long enough! Will they delete the old CW tweets?

Doubt it. I mean, they could. But I don't think they really need to.

I just looked at it, and they have over 2,900 tweets, so that would take to much time to delete all of them.

They could use tweetdelete.net

"They finally changed the old CW 46 Twitter account to Fox 46 Carolinas. Same account, just converted to @fox46carolinas. Took them long enough! Will they delete the old CW tweets?"

Yes, and I like how they kept the same exact profile description.

Previously it said:

Charlotte's CW Affiliate & proudly owned by Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc.

And now it says:

Charlotte's FOX Affiliate & proudly owned by FOX Television Stations

I like how they kept the "proudly owned" part. :rofl!:

Archived