Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they want to be on by the end of the month they better hurry it up. Still have not announced their primary news anchors and weather/sports teams. I just can't see them on that quickly and think they want to honor their original date of being on on Super Bowl night.

Does anybody else think they will play a trick on us and get Molly Grantham (currently does WBTV 10pm news) as one of their new anchors?

If they want to be on by the end of the month they better hurry it up. Still have not announced their primary news anchors and weather/sports teams. I just can't see them on that quickly and think they want to honor their original date of being on on Super Bowl night.

Does anybody else think they will play a trick on us and get Molly Grantham (currently does WBTV 10pm news) as one of their new anchors?

Doubt it. She does 5:30 and 11 for WBTV as well and is one of the faces of the station. Plus she'd likely have to sit out a non-compete before she goes anywhere, which is unlikely.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/06/4524444/fly-ty-joined-artie-goins-show.html#.UqHx47u9LCS

WJZY's news at 10 produced by WBTV had about 2,000 more viewers than WCCB at 10 in November but WCCB retained two thirds of its audience from last year. Also fewer people have watched Fox on WJZY than last year at this time on WCCB.

A reporter tweeted that they are launching on January 1st! Also, numerous pictures have been posted of the newsroom updates. They will have "several" Perceptive Pixel screens in the room/set.

Launch Tweet: https://twitter.com/archithfox46/status/410817810198040576

Newsroom: https://twitter.com/lratcliffefox46/status/410881153118130176

https://twitter.com/grzynewsfox46/status/410511222568914944

Still have not announced their main anchors. It's like they want to surprise everyone. Or will it truly be untraditional (maybe the reporters will rotate as anchors)?

Or no anchors at all! The reporters will pass it to each other (I kind of like the elimination of the anchor idea).

They will have a newscast, online only, at 10pm on Wednesday, December 18th. It'll be "a great glimpse at what viewers can expect." Also, the newsroom/set is almost done: https://twitter.com/cltnewswatch/status/411616230593003520

I don't know why they would want to do it at the same time as WBTV's news on its own station. Should do it at 10:30. But still, interesting and I will be watching!

They will have a newscast, online only, at 10pm on Wednesday, December 18th. It'll be "a great glimpse at what viewers can expect." Also, the newsroom/set is almost done: https://twitter.com/cltnewswatch/status/411616230593003520

Believe the webcasts are every day up until the launch on January 1. I could see them skipping Christmas Eve and maybe Christmas Day too.

Believe the webcasts are every day up until the launch on January 1. I could see them skipping Christmas Eve and maybe Christmas Day too.

They will be every night until the launch, not sure if they will skip the holidays. Also, the anchor for the newscast was announced: Cheryl Brayboy.

Sounds like the newscast will be called "MyFox Carolinas Primetime". It seems as if they are really playing up the interactive side of this, positioning themselves as not just a traditional OTA newscast but one that's available on all platforms.

Would assume FTS and Abernethy are using Charlotte as a test market for this and could expand it to its other stations if it's effective.

This sounds like a "completely different" sort of newscast. I'm not sure if that's good or not. They seem to really be pushing the nontraditional aspect of the newscast.

I also think the use of Fox Carolinas and the station URL is just because, well, "myfox46" doesn't fit in so well.

Sounds like the newscast will be called "MyFox Carolinas Primetime". It seems as if they are really playing up the interactive side of this, positioning themselves as not just a traditional OTA newscast but one that's available on all platforms.

Would assume FTS and Abernethy are using Charlotte as a test market for this and could expand it to its other stations if it's effective.

I have no doubt this station is going to be the test bed for Fox's "News evolution" concept. Based on my experience at KRIV and conversations with co-workers, I think Fox 26 was likely the first target for this test (our GM still references "news evolution" every chance he gets) but is too wedded to the traditional media model for it to work. Most of our reporters are older, having cut their teeth on that model.

"News evolution" needs the buy-in of the facebook/twitter/instagram crowd (ie young reporters - or older tech-savvy ones - who can one man band and engage with viewers online while editing a package on their iPad) to work correctly. So why not start it from the ground up. If it works, expand it outward to the other O&Os as the "old media" reporters retire and are replaced with the "new media" crowd. If it doesn't work, well they're still getting a s*** ton of revenue from having the Panthers broadcasts during football season and they'll either cancel or replace the newscast with "Chasing the Carolinas" magazine show.

From the looks of pictures posted on Twitter, they newscast will be using a boom mic, instead of the mics that anchors/reporters wear. They did this for their Tailgate Party, and it was visible often, and the audio wasn't that good.

I don't think so. It's possible that they were just filming a promo.

The way they are setting up their operation, it's destined to fail. That being said, I will stream live tonight to see how they execute it.

Somebody said if this was to fail, they could possibly cancel the newscast. I don't see that happening. If this setup fails they will just become a more traditional newscast and do away with the "different" newscast approach.

Archived