Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a really good article, they make a lot of points there.

Mark Washburn, the Charlotte Observer’s media critic, calls My Fox Carolinas “cocktail party news,” primarily because of its casual, chatty nature. Last Friday, the newscast featured two women discussing their plans for the weekend — a way to highlight Charlotte-area events. In another, a reporter tried dinner and drinks at a new restaurant.

Washburn had an interesting way of putting it, I wouldn't go that far, but still. It's a great point he brought that up. At least WJZY's news product is far better than WGNO's "News with a Twist". Now THAT is unwatchable. At least I can manage through WJZY's show. Not saying it's great, because it's not, but at least it is not WGNO.

And yes, this is why I don't like the approach Fox46 has been taking. Like I've said no one cares about their reporter's weekend plans or what they think about various restaurants. Obviously they don't listen to their viewers because they continue to do it.

Neither Fox group nor station execs will talk about the nitty-gritty of My Fox Carolinas until it gets its legs. A spokeswoman says they could be ready for that conversation in a week or two.

Really? A week or two for the program to get its legs? I think they have much longer the way they're going.

But even in its earliest incarnation, it's clear that it reflects Fox Television Stations President Jack Abernethy’s determination to come up with some new approaches to local news.

Speaking at TVNewsCheck’s NewsTECHForum in December, Abernethy said Charlotte provides the rare opportunity to start from scratch. “When you’re not being held by an existing show, it’s much easier to do things differently."

About two-thirds of new hires for My Fox Carolinas News haven’t done TV before “so there’s no bad habits to break," he said.

Yep, knew Abernethy was involved with this and that this was his idea. Abernethy has a track record of failed ideas and this will be one of them. Look at MyNetworkTV and where that went...

And I don't agree with his defending of hiring young inexperienced people right out of college. I don't blame the people his ND Roth hired, because it wasn't their fault and they do manage to do a good product with what management gives them. Yes most of their hires have potential, but I would not have hired them right out of college in Charlotte. Whatever happened to working in a small market and getting your foot in the door before moving up? Hell WCCB hires young for the most part and even they don't hire right out of school. Their hires have some experience. This is a just a way of saying, "We hire these reporters right out of school because we can get them dirt cheap."

The station will have a microwave truck “just because everyone’s afraid we might need one,” Abernethy said.

Just "A" microwave truck as in one? Cheap way out again. KABB here in SA also has only one working SNG/ENG truck they got in 2011. They have two others they got in the mid 90's that sit in the parking lot and have not been used for three years. If they are using the ENG truck and want to do multiple live shots in the same night, they have to use their LiveU backpacks. The quality of those is OK but not a good idea. Fox has the money to get them multiple ENG trucks. But again they just want to be cheap. I have the feeling WJZY is going to be Fox's test station for all this new technology...

The station is also mixing things up in terms of staffers’ titles, a move Abernethy said reflects the belief that “labels put people in established roles.” Rather than hiring a "news director," Fox named Geoff Roth "VP of local content" for both WJZY and WMYT, which may air news in the future as well. Cheryl Brayboy is the roaming senior digital journalist.

BS. Roth is the News Director. Brayboy is an anchor. I don't get the point of those stupid titles...

To succeed, My Fox Carolinas will have to overcome some tough competition. Existing 10 p.m. newscasts on the Cox-owned independent WAXN, which is produced by its sister station, the ABC affiliate WSOC, and on Bahakel Communications’ CW affiliate WCCB, both have loyal — and, according to November sweeps, growing — followings. WCCB was Charlotte’s Fox affiliate until Fox bought WJZY.

If I'm not mistaken WAXN is number one at ten in the market. Their product consists of what is probably most of the crime that happened in Charlotte since the 6pm. The same stuff is repeated on WSOC at 11. I wouldn't watch them in a million years but at least it is a better newscast than WJZY.

WCCB does a much better job appealing to the younger demo than WJZY. I think they put content in there young people want to see (see "WCCB News Edge") and they do hire younger people there (I think the exception is Reg Taylor). I think they can afford the product they put out because their newsteam is tiny. There's like one reporter and even the anchors report. That keeps their expenses low, on top of that I highly doubt Kirk, Morgan, and Christine are making anywhere close to, say Sonja Gantt. And even with their extremely limited resources, they still put out a better product than WJZY, even though I think WJZY will have a much larger staff once everything is settled.

Julie Szulczewski, news director of the two Cox stations, says she’s not concerned about having a new player in the market. “We are just sticking with our plan. We follow our research and do what our viewers want."

And if My Fox Carolinas News is piquing her viewers’ interest, Szulczewski says she has heard nothing about it in “the big chunk of viewer email” she gets. “It’s just a different format and a different strategy,” Szulczewski says. “I think it’s good to shake up the marketplace a bit.”

So it sounds like Szulczewski does not seem concerned about WJZY at all. Good on her, I wouldn't be either if I was an ND in Charlotte...

WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?! Ironically, I am moving to Charlotte next week, so I am actually down here looking for apartments. I happened to turn to FOX 46/Carolinas. What the hell. This is extremely irritating to watch. I am sorry, my undergrad was in Broadcast Journalism, so I know what would be considered "journalism". This, to me, is just a bunch of 20-somethings coming together commenting on social media. I watched 6 minutes and was completely disgusted. I will watch WAXN or WCCB at 10 I see.

Surprised that it says "WJZY" instead of "myfoxcarolinas.com". Usually Fox O&O's like to put their website address on their bugs.

WFXT has been putting "#fox25" under it (you'd think you'd make it change along with the show, especially if it doesn't show a hashtag already, i.e. #himymOnMy9)

Looks like WCCB has not yet wiped all references to FOX from their graphics. they must have not gotten the memo their affiliation ended six months ago.

[yt]hVWQeO2JAiY[/yt]

Go to 0:22 to see the Fox logo. Surprised they have not caught that all this time... They will probably update their graphics this year though; the previous look lasted six years as well.

They will probably update their graphics this year though; the previous look lasted six years as well.

I wonder if they'll update their set as well, if they update the graphics. WCNC and WSOC got new sets in the summer of 2012, and WBTV will be debuting a new set this summer.

I wonder if they'll update their set as well, if they update the graphics. WCNC and WSOC got new sets in the summer of 2012, and WBTV will be debuting a new set this summer.

I would not be surprised if they don't have the money to get a new set because of loss of ad revenue due to losing FOX and due to them not having an owner with as deep pockets as the others. Graphics, yeah, I could see them getting upgraded (they have update a few things here and there since their debut (opens, and some weather graphics).

I would not be surprised if they don't have the money to get a new set because of loss of ad revenue due to losing FOX and due to them not having an owner with as deep pockets as the others. Graphics, yeah, I could see them getting upgraded (they have update a few things here and there since their debut (opens, and some weather graphics).

Well, they really only lost Primetime ad revenue. Their news ratings are better than ever.

Well, they really only lost Primetime ad revenue. Their news ratings are better than ever.

Oh, I know their 10pm news is doing good (I'm pretty sure Rising isn't doing good at all), but not only did they lose the FOX primetime, but they lost the Panthers (most popular program on Broadcast TV in the market, even when they weren't doing as well as they were last year), NASCAR (hugely popular in the market) and other FOX sports. That probably hurt way more than primetime (I'm pretty sure they have been one of the stronger CWs). WCCB is by far Bahakel's biggest station, they don't have any other major cash cows to rely on like bigger groups. Maybe there will be a new set, but I doubt it will be something that will blow the competition out of the water.

I could see WCCB canceling or paring down Rising if it isn't doing well. But the 10:00 news is here to stay. It is doing better than expected. WJZY's unusual format may have something to do with that. But also viewers remained loyal to WCCB even when WBTV was producing the news for Fox 46.

This happened a few weeks ago but it's still relatively fresh. Stephanie Coueignoux (formerly at WKYC in Cleveland, and wife of WJZY chief met Rob Eicher) is now a reporter at WSOC (Channel 9).

I strongly though she would land at Channel 36. Glad she landed on the #1 station in the Queen City.

Geoff may say they're sticking to this different format, but they may have no choice but to make it more traditional if this keeps up.

Also morning news starts in May. If you don't like the 10:00 news, you won't like the morning news either, it sounds like.

And they're planning on launching an hourlong 6:00 newscast in July. (Guess Two and a Half Men gets bumped to WMYT?).

It's not so much what they are reporting, it's how they are reporting it. I don't mind the emphasis on social media and the lighter stories but wish they would invest in an anchor desk and call them anchors and reporters instead of digital journalists. And for heavens sake, lose the Hey, Hey Carolinas except in promos.

Archived