Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand WCCB is renovating their set for the CW switch. Will be interesting to see what it looks like.

I'd imagine green would be part of it. Either way their current one isn't bad although it's nearly five years old.

You know, I just noticed today that WJZY's countdown ticker on www.myfoxcarolinas.com is wrong by a day. It counts down to SUNDAY at 8 instead of Monday. The switch is almost 10 days away today. Not 9.

Considering that they have been hiring employees from other Fox O&O's and WGHP, do you think they might hire internally, from other stations?

If i were a betting man I'd wager on majority of the behind-the-scenes folks coming internally. Say a 65%/35% split. They'll want producers, editors, etc. that are familiar with the Fox way and look. But, at the same time inject some new outside blood to provide new ideas and differing viewpoints. Remember that Speed's operations are going to see a reduced role in some areas with the shift to FS1. There will be a fair amount of editors, producers, photojournalists, etc. that will see their roles changed, reduced or possibly eliminated. So, there are a fair amount of these folks already on the Fox payroll within the Charlotte area that could re-apply or be reassigned by Fox to fill these positions at WJZY.

As to on-air talent. Maybe closer to 50%/50% internal and external. The bigger thing is finding a local face (or two) to serve as the face of your brand. It could be somebody currently in the market willing to sit out (or, already sitting out) a non-compete. Or, someone who left the market and is now coming back. Either way viewers have a familiar face as the front to what will be a lot of unfamliar faces to folks in Charlotte.

While I'm at it I'll make a couple predictions. The first newscast they will launch in house will be an hour long 10pm newscast. I think someone else might had predicted this, too. But, that 10pm newscast will launch on February 2, 2014 after the Super Bowl. You don't get a much better lead-in to launch a newscast then that. The next in line will be a morning show. I figure if all goes well it should debut around the time the fall prime time schedule premieres in Fall 2014. After that it will be either an early evening newscast or 11pm. Those are a ways off and come after 10pm and mornings. 10pm gets the Fox prime-time lead-in and usually little competition in that slot from competing newscasts. Mornings offer the opportunity for big $$$ via ad sales and allows you to sell an "all local" option against the big boys. So, that's where they will start.

I understand WCCB is renovating their set for the CW switch. Will be interesting to see what it looks like.

Right now they do not have plans to change their studio, the changes that you saw in the picture were of them changing the TV screens on those moving stands.

Right now they do not have plans to change their studio, the changes that you saw in the picture were of them changing the TV screens on those moving stands.

Gotcha. Probably need to see how the newscasts fare with the CW affiliation before investing in set changes.

If you travel on I-85 North look out for two Fox 46 Carolinas billboards. One is before you get to exit 34 which has the NFL on Fox personalities and the other is before you get to the I-77 interchange which has various stars of Fox shows.

While I'm at it I'll make a couple predictions. The first newscast they will launch in house will be an hour long 10pm newscast. I think someone else might had predicted this, too. But, that 10pm newscast will launch on February 2, 2014 after the Super Bowl.

According to Fox 46, the in house newscast will only be a half hour long, and will launch sometime in January, but the Superbowl is definitely interesting as a launch date. However I checked, and "New Girl" and another, TBA Fox Comedy, are scheduled as lead-out programs. Maybe they could preempt these for the newscast?

According to Fox 46, the in house newscast will only be a half hour long, and will launch sometime in January, but the Superbowl is definitely interesting as a launch date. However I checked, and "New Girl" and another, TBA Fox Comedy, are scheduled as lead-out programs. Maybe they could preempt these for the newscast?

Oops. That was a poorly worded sentence on my part. What I meant but, didn't articulate well was that by debuting after the Super Bowl it would also be after the network lead-out program(s). It's still technically "after" the Super Bowl, just not directly after. And, I forgot to mention that it coincidentally falls during the February 2014 sweeps period, Which AFAIK runs from Jan 30 - Feb. 26, 2014. So, It's still really prime real estate to make your luanch/debut.

Not really doubting you. But, did they acutually say their "in-house" newscast would only be a half hour. Or, did they say something along the lines of "we are starting with a half hour of news." without making mention of in-house or not. If the latter they could be referencing the WBTV produced half hour. Since, technically they would be starting Fox 46 with a half hour of news. Just curious. Because, a half hour @ 10pm seems a bit out of character for Fox.

Not really doubting you. But, did they acutually say their "in-house" newscast would only be a half hour. Or, did they say something along the lines of "we are starting with a half hour of news." without making mention of in-house or not. If the latter they could be referencing the WBTV produced half hour. Since, technically they would be starting Fox 46 with a half hour of news. Just curious. Because, a half hour @ 10pm seems a bit out of character for Fox.

I just checked, and you're right. Instead of putting in-house, I put initial, which is probably referring the WBTV Newscast.

WCCB has switched to a Monday - Friday weekday schedule vs. the previous Sunday-Thursday they have used since their inception. Also, in the latest CW ad the news promo features Kirk and Christine, no Morgan.

WCCB has switched to a Monday - Friday weekday schedule vs. the previous Sunday-Thursday they have used since their inception. Also, in the latest CW ad the news promo features Kirk and Christine, no Morgan.

I noticed they changed the schedule too. Their new promos don't have Morgan because she is leaving at the end of July, so it looks like Kirk will solo-anchor Monday-Friday, with Christine on weekends.

WJZY names "Vice President of Local Content" (News Director).

From TVSpy:

Geoff Roth has been named vice president of local content at WJZY-WMYT, Fox’s duopoly in Charlotte. His appointment is effective July 8.

Roth comes from another Fox O&O, KRIV in Houston, where he was an executive producer. He has worked as a news director at KSEE and KMPH in Fresno, WFTX in Fort Myers, KSWB in San Diego, KSTU in Salt Lake City and WRIC in Richmond.

I have been working with Geoff Roth since 2009. He's a good newsroom leader and I think will be able to assemble a good team for Fox 46 Carolinas News.

I wonder whether the Fox 46 newscast by WBTV will have graphics from WBTV or Fox

It's have to be the graphics from WBTV, but even so I can't wait to see how the FOX O&O graphics and music is going to be fitting for the Queen City.

Archived