Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WCCB could have a "dual identity" in the works....sort of like how WOIO in Cleveland refers to themselves as "CBS 19" outside of newscasts and "19 Action News" for their news efforts.

"WCCB Charlotte" works with their news efforts, and "Charlotte's CW" could be a mandate from the CW to brand their programs accordingly or to benefit WCCB from increased network benefits (reverse compensation or retrans discount). Losing FOX will be a hit to the pocketbook so every little bit will help, so why not milk the new network for all it's worth?

WCCB could have a "dual identity" in the works....sort of like how WOIO in Cleveland refers to themselves as "CBS 19" outside of newscasts and "19 Action News" for their news efforts.

"WCCB Charlotte" works with their news efforts, and "Charlotte's CW" could be a mandate from the CW to brand their programs accordingly or to benefit WCCB from increased network benefits (reverse compensation or retrans discount). Losing FOX will be a hit to the pocketbook so every little bit will help, so why not milk the new network for all it's worth?

They're doing exactly what XETV in San Diego did when they were forced to "downgrade" networks, and that is de-emphasize their affiliation with The CW.

Even if they do follow through, I still don't think its a good idea. But what other choice do they have? This Charlotte Observer article I posted on this thread last month, states that they obviously have to do things with less revenue. I prefer a unified consistent brand "WCCB" for news & regular programming, instead of kissing the network's ass to have the "Charlotte's CW" here, "WCCB" there. But if they have to do it, Hmm.

They're doing exactly what XETV in San Diego did when they were forced to "downgrade" networks, and that is de-emphasize their affiliation with The CW.

But based on that picture in front of the "Bahakel Temple", it doesn't look like they're de-emphasizing the network brand.

So whatever they do, we well all see it 35 days from now, as history from 35 years ago will repeat itself again.

Not necessarily. XETV brands as San Diego 6 News for its newscasts. Yes there is no verbal mention of the CW, but that is to be expected because they were calling themselves as San Diego 6 two months before they lost the FOX affiliation and even before it was confirmed that they would acquire the CW. Also, during the previews of the evening's program, they always use...On San Diego 6, The CW. What is interesting to note, was that XETV was granted permission by the CW to use a blue version of the CW logo so that it would fit in with their logo. There are two variations of the logo, one with the CW inside the boxed 6 and the other with the CW next to the boxed 6.

I wonder how people in Charlotte feel about WJZY after that whole deal with the Fox camera cable causing injury to fans at the Coke 600 last night. Just found that interesting…

That wasn't WJZY's fault. That's a Fox Sports thing.

WJZY probably got little to no blame over that.

I cannot believe next week is the last week for NASCAR on wccb

Plus yesterday was the last Coca-Cola 600 for WCCB as well. Those NASCAR events probably brought in a lot of ad dollars for them.

Not sure how WCCB is planning on replacing that.

I do wonder if the FOX 46 set will be similar or identical to the new KTTV set. It seems like they were trying to go uber generic, and I wonder if a similar step will be taken in Charlotte (but I think the reaction will not be very good).

I do wonder if the FOX 46 set will be similar or identical to the new KTTV set. It seems like they were trying to go uber generic, and I wonder if a similar step will be taken in Charlotte (but I think the reaction will not be very good).

Either that or the set that KMSP currently has from Devlin.

What about the FOX O&O sets like WNYW, KDFW, etc.?

Maybe something similar in design, but not an exact copy.

Oddly enough, WGHP never received the O&O set when they took the V.1 O&O graphics.

Maybe something similar in design, but not an exact copy.

Oddly enough, WGHP never received the O&O set when they took the V.1 O&O graphics.

Neither did KDVR. Which makes sense; both stations were on the block/in the process of being sold to Oak Hill at the time.

Neither did KDVR. Which makes sense; both stations were on the block/in the process of being sold to Oak Hill at the time.

You could also add KSTU, WDAF, WBRC and WITI to the list. WJW and KTVI had their O&O sets built just as the stations were being put on the block (KTVI's set was taken apart and literally reassembled brick-by-brick when it moved into KPLR's studios).

Among the current crop of O&Os, is KMSP's set the only one that deviates from the typical Fox O&O set?

Depends on what you mean by "typical Fox O&O set". If you mean the mid 2000s era design that is still in use at WAGA, WNYW and WTTG, among others, then KMSP and KTTV deviate.

Depends on what you mean by "typical Fox O&O set". If you mean the mid 2000s era design that is still in use at WAGA, WNYW and WTTG, among others, then KMSP and KTTV deviate.

Doesn't WFXT in Boston deviate from it too? I don't remember them ever getting the standard Fox O&O set

Archived