Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

I don't know why they can't just announce it now. With WJZY losing its CW affiliation, they're the most realistic/obvious candidate as the new Fox station.

(They may also be the higher-rated of the two; WMYT airs the all-rerun MyNetworkTV...)

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O91wxQSfqU - Here is the short ID for WJZY switch to FOX.

Big shocker that the chose WJZY to be the Fox affiliate. *sarcasm* That is exactly what everyone has been saying here since this thread was started on January 28, 2013.

I would have hoped that they would have chosen a better font type for the '46' lettering.

Big shocker that the chose WJZY to be the Fox affiliate. That is exactly what everyone has been saying here since this thread was started on January 28, 2013.

I would have hoped that they would have chosen a better font type for the '46' lettering.

No that's not a shock. The shock would have been switching MyNetworkTV from 55 to 46 and move Fox to 55. I'm glad that didn't happen. I am shocked that they are going to keep the "46" font. They could've done better. I do like the branding though.

They still have a boat-load of work they have to do, even after Fox 46 begins operations on July 1st.

Big shocker that the chose WJZY to be the Fox affiliate. That is exactly what everyone has been saying here since this thread was started on January 28, 2013.

Did anyone honestly think that 55 would really become the FOX affiliate? Why would they bother making a three-way switching since 55 is already a MyNetworkTV affiliate?

Did anyone honestly think that 55 would really become the FOX affiliate? Why would they bother making a three-way switching since 55 is already a MyNetworkTV affiliate?

I didn't. That would be a dumb move if that would've happened. Now if Fox can changed the 55 branding from MyTV12 to My55, then we'll be in business.

The next thing is when will the syndicated Simpsons repeats move to Fox 46? I know they will stay on WCCB after the affiliation switch. But The Simpsons is trying to renew a long-term syndie deal for the stations. I wonder if Fox would try to get the syndie rights. And of course the other syndie shows that mirror most of the other Fox O&Os.

I don't know if they'd move to WJZY. I don't recall, say, KDFW or WJBK ever trying to get The Simpsons (the show's reruns remain on those stations' predecessors, KDAF and WKBD). Am I wrong?

As for the logo, I really wasn't expecting anything better. In my mind there is no way to make that template look good (I don't like the Fox aesthetic very much anyway), at least if it's not moving.

I don't know if they'd move to WJZY. I don't recall' date=' say, KDFW or WJBK ever trying to get [i']The Simpsons[/i] (the show's reruns remain on those stations' predecessors, KDAF and WKBD). Am I wrong?

No, because they were involved in a 17-year deal with the stations, including the stations that airing the repeats today. I don't think they would have even breach that even if they'd tried. But since that 17 year cycle is about to end, and there might be a chance that Fox might try to acquire the show in markets that's not on their stations. Or at least move it to the MyNetworkTV stations, if the Fox stations don't have any room.

I don't know if they'd move to WJZY. I don't recall' date=' say, KDFW or WJBK ever trying to get [i']The Simpsons[/i] (the show's reruns remain on those stations' predecessors, KDAF and WKBD). Am I wrong?

As for the logo, I really wasn't expecting anything better. In my mind there is no way to make that template look good (I don't like the Fox aesthetic very much anyway), at least if it's not moving.

Here in St. Louis, the Simpsons syndicated package stayed with KDNL even after they swtiched from Fox to ABC.

Another thing to consider is that there are many Fox O&O's who do not have the syndicated package so my guess is that they'll just say with WCCB.

Speaking of the logo, I find it interesting that they're going with Fox 46 Carolinas instead of Fox 46 Charlotte. Unless this isn't the final logo but it's quite rare for Fox to use something besides the city name in their branding.

I didn't. That would be a dumb move if that would've happened. Now if Fox can changed the 55 branding from MyTV12 to My55, then we'll be in business.

The next thing is when will the syndicated Simpsons repeats move to Fox 46? I know they will stay on WCCB after the affiliation switch. But The Simpsons is trying to renew a long-term syndie deal for the stations. I wonder if Fox would try to get the syndie rights. And of course the other syndie shows that mirror most of the other Fox O&Os.

I can't think of a single TV station in Fox's portfolio that ID's by cable position. Only a matter of when it becomes My55, not if.

I thought that 17-year-deal did end (The Simpsons first appeared in off-network syndication in the 1994-95 season)

I hope the 1994 syndication deal ended. It ordinarily wouldn't necessarily be bad... until you realize that 500 episodes have aired, and so many have had to be taken out of rotation - and the earliest episodes haven't aired in YEARS. If I'm not mistaken, Fox even threatened to cancel the show so as to get a new deal in place.

I'm fairly sure the last time I even saw a first-season episode ("Some Enchanted Evening") in syndication was around 2004. I've seen episodes that are only a few seasons after it running in the last couple of months, though (KDVR, the Fox affiliate, holds the syndication rights to the show here).

You were not mistaken. Notice that the deal even precludes the possibility of selling the show to a streaming service such as Netflix; if the deal doesn't get re-negotiated soon, or if streaming services don't stop being considered "networks," (notice how the deal didn't preclude the possibility of home video releases, even though there were some VHS releases before it went into syndication) it could prove disastrous. (Though, really, the show is so far past its prime that ending it would likely be for the best.)

The current WJZY/WMYT studios are too small to fit a news operation; they'll have to move to the Speed studios off of Harris Boulevard if they want an in-house news department. Remember, Speed is going to be replaced by Fox Sports 1 later this year, so that should clear some space since that network's main studios will be in LA.

EDIT: And I just now realize that someone has already said that. Oops.

Here in St. Louis, the Simpsons syndicated package stayed with KDNL even after they swtiched from Fox to ABC.

Another thing to consider is that there are many Fox O&O's who do not have the syndicated package so my guess is that they'll just say with WCCB.

Speaking of the logo, I find it interesting that they're going with Fox 46 Carolinas instead of Fox 46 Charlotte. Unless this isn't the final logo but it's quite rare for Fox to use something besides the city name in their branding.

On the name "FOX46 Carolinas" rather than "FOX46 Charlotte". It isn't unprecedent at all. They did it with WBRC unofficially during its ownership. It was known as "FOX6 Alabama" rather than "FOX 6 Birmingham" due to its usage of the "MyFOX Alabama" and "Good Day Alabama" rather than "MyFOX Birmingham" and "Good Day Birmingham".

And it's pretty much the last sitcom standing at WTXF, running at 7:30 each weeknight. Unfortunately they're only airing episodes of the Revival Series.

(The Simpsons ended its glorious nine season run in 1998. Shortly thereafter, Fox, panicking at the amount of money they would lose, revived the show and replaced the writers with mindless robots. That's what I like to believe, anyway.)

I thought that 17-year-deal did end (The Simpsons first appeared in off-network syndication in the 1994-95 season)

Here's the B&C article about the current Fox dilemma about what they want to do with the Simpsons. They even thinking about ending the run after 25 years just to air all the 550+ episodes on Cable.

Now let's wait and see when WJZY is going to get their own newscast and WBTV dropped their 10pm newscast on WMYT.

WJZY will probably wait until this fall when the news share agreement with WBTV is up. Until then, expect that newscast to be moved back to WJZY for the time being.

WJZY will probably wait until this fall when the news share agreement with WBTV is up. Until then, expect that newscast to be moved back to WJZY for the time being.

I would think that they would want to have a news program running by the start of the NFL season

Archived