Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

SPEED's headquarters in Charlotte which is actually a mile away from where I am typing this does have some bigger space, but I don't know if it could handle SPEED's operations plus a newscast's operations in the same building.

They're killing off Speed afaik.

However, it seems as if a lot of Fox Sports stuff is hubbed (I know they do master control for the FSN stations in Houston, and the graphics might be a hub too)

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SPEED's headquarters in Charlotte which is actually a mile away from where I am typing this does have some bigger space, but I don't know if it could handle SPEED's operations plus a newscast's operations in the same building.

However, it seems as if a lot of Fox Sports stuff is hubbed (I know they do master control for the FSN stations in Houston, and the graphics might be a hub too)

It's possible that Fox Entertainment Group could move the studio operations for Fox Sports 1 and 2 elsewhere, maybe to Los Angeles or New York, and abandon the Charlotte facility. The Fox Sports Net regional channels have business offices in the Westwood section of Los Angeles.

Interestingly, Fox bought WJZY and WMYT for $18 million, which seems relatively cheap given the buyer, the fact that it's a duopoly and the fact that the two stations are in a Top 25 market. Even more interesting, the fact that Fox bought a CW affiliate (yes, WJZY won't be with The CW for long and I know that the stations involved in the Sinclair option included three CW affiliates), but still... given Fox's reaction to its UPN affiliates getting passed over for a CW affiliation in markets where Tribune and CBS own stations...

It's possible that Fox Entertainment Group could move the studio operations for Fox Sports 1 and 2 elsewhere' date=' maybe to Los Angeles or New York, and abandon the Charlotte facility. The Fox Sports Net regional channels have business offices in the Westwood section of Los Angeles.

Or do that and, if it's big enough, move WJZY/WMYT into the Speed facility and run all the NASCAR stuff out of it.

Or do that and, if it's big enough, move WJZY/WMYT into the Speed facility and run all the NASCAR stuff out of it.

That's also possible, Fox has run some of its regional sports networks and its O&Os out of the same facility, like with WITI and Fox Sports Wisconsin (before WITI was sold to Local TV).

Might be a possibility. I will have to drive by there later today so I can kind of see again if its big enough to house the operations. Or maybe FOX invests in putting a studio closer to Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord for the new FOX SPORTS 1/2. I don't think in reality they are going to abandon the current space at the present moment.

Also keep in mind that they once had WITI Milwaukee as an O&O, and sold them off to Local TV. (The Packers are technically a home team to both Green Bay and Milwaukee.) I doubt there is a direct correlation between NFC markets and station ownership.

Fox initially bought stations like WITI, KTVI, WDAF, WAGA, WHBQ, WJBK, KSAZ, etc. because they just got the rights to the NFC package and wanted to be on high-profile affiliates instead of some low-rated UHF stations. Coincidentally a lot of them were in markets with NFC teams,

That being said, Fox sold off these stations because they bought too many of them and couldn't manage them all and proved to be too costly for them to maintain.

I don't see Fox reentering markets like St. Louis, Kansas City, or Milwaukee anytime soon.

Fox initially bought stations like WITI, KTVI, WDAF, WAGA, WHBQ, WJBK, KSAZ, etc. because they just got the rights to the NFC package and wanted to be on high-profile affiliates instead of some low-rated UHF stations. Coincidentally a lot of them were in markets with NFC teams,

That being said, Fox sold off these stations because they bought too many of them and couldn't manage them all and proved to be too costly for them to maintain.

I don't see Fox reentering markets like St. Louis, Kansas City, or Milwaukee anytime soon.

Actually, the only reason why they sold these stations was to finance their deal (which is now a big boondoggle) to purchase the Wall Street Journal. Some of their now sold off stations were making just as much money as some of their top 20 markets long-time FOX O&Os because their were dominant leaders (like WBRC).

What it came down to was Fox telling Capital that they have the option

to buy WLFL and WRDC in Raleigh from Sinclair and if they want to

protect their affilation with WRAZ, then come up with a deal we can't

refuse Capital had no choice. Dump two stations in another market to

keep their home market stable

What it came down to was Fox telling Capital that they have the option

to buy WLFL and WRDC in Raleigh from Sinclair and if they want to

protect their affilation with WRAZ, then come up with a deal we can't

refuse Capital had no choice. Dump two stations in another market to

keep their home market stable

And even if it wasn't officially the definitive, it sounds awfully credible. So Fox was going to win either way.

There is a sidebar to the deal in which Fox Television Stations would acquire the non-license assets of WJZY and WMYT (broadcasting facilities, programming contracts, etc.) for $8.24 million and operate both stations under a time brokerage agreement if the sale is not approved by the FCC and both Fox and Capitol have not consummated the deal on or before June 1. It's likely that the deal will be finalized by that time, but Fox would get control of the stations either way it goes.

In addition, WCCB appears to have switched news directors: Ken White, who had been the station's ND since the news department began in 2000, has been reassigned to an interim news director position at WCCB's Jackson, Tennessee sister station WBBJ. Assistant news director Angela Robbins has replaced him as the head of WCCB's news department.

If Fox Sports hubs master control in Houston, that's news to me (and I work there), because Fox doesn't even handle local master control in Houston anymore (it's hubbed at a facility near Las Vegas). The Southwest Freeway facilities were originally built to house both Fox Sports Southwest (now FSN Houston) and KRIV, but you'd be surprised at the amount of empty office space that is there now (with some of it still branded "Fox Sports Southwest" on the windows).

If Fox Sports hubs master control in Houston, that's news to me (and I work there), because Fox doesn't even handle local master control in Houston anymore (it's hubbed at a facility near Las Vegas). The Southwest Freeway facilities were originally built to house both Fox Sports Southwest (now FSN Houston) and KRIV, but you'd be surprised at the amount of empty office space that is there now (with some of it still branded "Fox Sports Southwest" on the windows).

I thought FOX Sports' master control was in Dallas, or in one of Dallas' suburbs? Also, didn't FSN Houston shut down last year, due to the Astros and Rockets moving over to Comcast Sportsnet?

I thought FOX Sports' master control was in Dallas, or in one of Dallas' suburbs? Also, didn't FSN Houston shut down last year, due to the Astros and Rockets moving over to Comcast Sportsnet?

FSN Houston was re-absorbed into Fox Sports Southwest in October as a result of losing the television rights to the Astros and Rockets to CSN Houston.

TVNewsCheck made this follow-up article, stating that one Fox insider stated that is not excercizing the option of the Sinclair stations.

So I guess it's been confirmed. As Sinclair announced its fourth quarter 2012 earnings today, they have confirmed that Fox announced that they have no interest in any of the Sinclair stations. So like I said, its a sigh of relief for Capitol keeping Fox on WRAZ. But it appears that Sinclair doesn't want to stop this rapidly growing buying spree. SMH.

Fox decided to acquire WJZY & WMYT from Capitol Bahakel-owned WCCB losing its Fox affiliaiton of 27 years That could have played a part in Fox's decision to not acquire Raleigh-Durham stations from Sinclair

Fox decided to acquire WJZY & WMYT from Capitol Bahakel-owned WCCB losing its Fox affiliaiton of 27 years That could have played a part in Fox's decision to not acquire Raleigh-Durham stations from Sinclair

That has been covered above already.

WCCB would be able to take NBC away from Belo-owned WCNC or Bahakel could possibly be considering exploring a sale of their TV stations group

Also covered above. Neither are likely to happen.

I don't know if they still are, but I had a friend who worked Fox Sports Master Control down off the Southwest Freeway (not Fox 26's location, but somewhere near WestPark outside the loop, IIRC). Basically he'd work an 8 hour shift with 2 of the stations (he seemed to have both Fox Sports Florida and Sunshine Network a lot). This was years ago - 90s and maybe early 2000s.

J

I don't know if they still are, but I had a friend who worked Fox Sports Master Control down off the Southwest Freeway (not Fox 26's location, but somewhere near WestPark outside the loop, IIRC). Basically he'd work an 8 hour shift with 2 of the stations (he seemed to have both Fox Sports Florida and Sunshine Network a lot). This was years ago - 90s and maybe early 2000s.

J

I know exactly where you're talking about. Their old MC facility was located in a non-descript warehouse building on Gulfton near Chimney Rock (about 5 blocks south of the Freeway). Shortly after I moved to Houston in 1997 (and was car-less at the time) I rode a bus right by the building.

At that time, the 4261 Southwest Freeway facility was still under construction and Fox26 was located at it's original home near the corner of Westheimer and Weslayan (it's now an HEB Central Market grocery store).

Operations at 4261 went live sometime around the first of the year 1998. Though, technically, the first broadcast was a "breaking news" cut-in about a police chase involving a Metro bus that happened a week before Christmas 1997. From what I've gleaned from some of the long-time TDs, they were doing practice runs with the weekend on-air and technical staff and decided to do the cut-in from there instead of driving back to the old building.

I don't know when FSSW moved into 4261 nor when they vacated, but there are several empty offices in the main hallway that still sport a FSSW logo

WCCB has already started to scale back the Fox branding a little. Their anchors are starting to refer to the 10pm newscast as "The News @ 10" instead of Fox News @ 10 and the Fox logo has been removed from part of their L3s (they have normal L3s but the upper right hand portion remains on the screen throughout the newscast to identify the show--example is in the video below but just imagine it w/o the Fox logo)

WCCB has already started to scale back the Fox branding a little. Their anchors are starting to refer to the 10pm newscast as "The News @ 10" instead of Fox News @ 10 and the Fox logo has been removed from part of their L3s (they have normal L3s but the upper right hand portion remains on the screen throughout the newscast to identify the show--example is in the video below but just imagine it w/o the Fox logo)

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/local/Local-Youth-Sports-Spur-Economic-Development-190783481.html

I found it.

Archived