Weigel starts Movies!, This is moving to WGN.

CircleSeven

The B&C announced today that Chicago's Weigel Broadcasting, the company that started digital subnetworks This TV & Me-TV, has partnered with Fox Television Stations to start on its new digital subnetwork that will primarily air movies. The network will be entitled "Movies!".

The new sub will be aired on the Fox's DT2 subchannel including WNYW, KTTV & WFLD. The subchannel will be in 16x9 format and will air movies 24 hours a day. The network is slated to start later in the spring.

Weigel is great with these subchannels. Too bad they are not great at running local stations... might be a good time to dump off their failed properties in Milwaukee & South Bend.

Weigel is great with these subchannels. Too bad they are not great at running local stations... might be a good time to dump off their failed properties in Milwaukee & South Bend.

I don't know about South Bend, but WDJT is finally becoming competitive in the news race and WMLW's ratings have seen a boost since going HD. They're on the rise in Milwaukee, and I wouldn't even be surprised if they bought more stations in the future. But at this point they seem comfortable being a small station group/national digicaster.

I don't know about South Bend, but WDJT is finally becoming competitive in the news race and WMLW's ratings have seen a boost since going HD. They're on the rise in Milwaukee, and I wouldn't even be surprised if they bought more stations in the future. But at this point they seem comfortable being a small station group/national digicaster.

WDJT is lucky to be backed by a network with very strong ratings. But their South Bend station doesn't have that luxury.

3rd place in one timeslot and distant fourth in all other timeslots is hardly competitive. Mind you, that 3rd place was only in a book month and is not their average spot at 10.

• 3 months later...

TVSpy states that Weigel has appointed three new execs, as the new Movies! channel is about to debut really soon. William M. Craig will be the new Movies! brand director. Ed Johnson will be Movies! head of directing & scheduling. And former executive of the Mark Cuban owned networks Garth Franklin will be the creative leader for Movies! and for the Me-TV Network.

B&C posted yesterday that Tribune Broadcasting will take over day-to-day programming operations of This TV. Weigel will focus on its new Movies! channel for the Fox O&Os, and their big-one Me-TV.

This TV will also be moving from WCIU 26.5 subchannel to WGN's subchannel, and will be operated at the Channel 9 facilities. I assume WGN will air This TV on Channel 9.3, will assume that they'll have room now for 26 to move Bounce TV from LP WWME-LD 23.2 to 26.5. The question is, will WDJT drop This TV and move the digi-net to WITI 6?

I wish KIAH take This TV from KPRC. It seems not right for this Trib station to not have it, like the other ones. The Post have it on its flagship WDIV & WJXT, so that shouldn't affect that at all.

MOVIES! just went live earlier this afternoon, as they are showing a video preview. The real launch begins at 8am/ET Monday morning. Weigel seem to love those female voiceover artists. Along with the Fox O&Os including WNYW 5.2, KCOP 13.4 & WPWR 50.2, WMLW 49, will be airing the channel in Milwaukee on 49.3.

I hope Tribune will do a better job marketing This when they start operating the channel in the fall.

• 4 months later...

Okay bumping this thread because, it has been confirmed that since This TV will be moved to WGN 9.3, Bounce TV (which its on the LP station WWME 23.2) will now occupy This TV's former slot on WCIU 26.5. That Touchvision disaster will stay on WMEU 48.2. All the changes are in effect Friday, November 1st.

Now I would like to know when the contracts for KPRC, WGAL & KOMO 4's deals with This TV to expire so the Trib can hurry up and put the network on those stations. And will WDJT voluntarily cut the cord on This and give it to WITI, should that deal gets consummated.

I'm wondering if Tribune is planning on moving This TV from a transponder on SES-1 to Galaxy 14 (where WGN America and Antenna TV reside). This may be a hassle to station engineers, since Galaxy 14 orbits over the Pacific Ocean while SES-1 is aimed toward the center of the U.S, and could be one of the reasons why Antenna TV hasn't been embraced by stations as well as Me-TV.

Archived