New ABC/Univision channel to be named "Fusion"

d247

In a joint press release, ABC and Univision announced the name for its' upcoming cable news and lifestyle channel will be Fusion. The new channel will launch the second half of 2013.

ABC AND UNIVISION INTRODUCE FUSION

News and Lifestyle Network for U.S. Hispanics Launches in Second Half of 2013

Five Leading Cable Operators Already Onboard to Launch Fusion’s Unique Mix of Culturally

Relevant Programming in English for Youngest and Fastest-Growing Demographic in the U.S.

February 11 – MIAMI, FL -- ABC and Univision today announced their joint venture news and lifestyle network for U.S. Hispanics will be called Fusion. The ground-breaking media service launches in the second half of 2013.

“We’re thrilled to be partnering with Univision to launch Fusion. Our collaboration will bring unmatched reporting capabilities and understanding of issues and entertainment that resonate with the Hispanic community, one of the fastest growing and important demographic communities in the U.S.,” said Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group.

“The launch of Fusion will be a major milestone in Univision’s 50-year history of service to the Hispanic community,” added Cesar Conde, president, Univision Networks. “We’re delighted to partner with ABC News in this exciting new network that will extend Univision’s unequaled coverage of Hispanic issues and lifestyle to English-dominant audiences for the first time.”

“Fusion will be the indispensible meeting place for English-speaking Latinos,” said Ben Sherwood, president, ABC News. “Our goal is for this young, vibrant and media hungry audience to come to Fusion to be informed, entertained and empowered. It will be fresh, fun and optimistic, and of great interest to Latinos and non-Latinos alike.”

“Fusion will bring together diverse cultures, voices and viewpoints,” said Isaac Lee, president, Univision News. “We will explore the realities shaping the world, give Latinos a voice in the American conversation and deliver personally relevant local, national and global perspectives.”

Fusion will be available at launch in millions of households nationwide. Five of the nation’s biggest cable distributors have already agreed to carry the network, including Cablevision, Charter, Cox, AT&T U-verse and Google Fiber.

Programming will focus on the issues most relevant for U.S. Hispanics, including the economy, entertainment, music, food, immigration, pop culture, education, politics, health & wellness and more.

Fusion will be based in Miami, Florida.

Fusion capitalizes on Univision’s news leadership and expertise in reaching U.S. Hispanics and ABC’s global news leadership to serve over 50 million Hispanics, the youngest and fastest-growing demographic in the U.S. Currently Hispanics represent 16 percent of the total population in the United States, a number that is projected to double to 30 percent by 2050. Hispanics wield considerable spending power of over $1 trillion and have an increasing impact on social, economic and political trends.

(via TVbytheNumbers)

I think the name actually means something in my eyes: One broadcast news company (the English ABC News) and another broadcast news company (the Spanish Univision News) combining forces and working together to bring you a new cable news network for Latinos who speak English.

It's not the best name for a cabler, but then again it's not a boring one either. It makes sense for a cable news network with a PR like that. And it rolls off the tongue. I like the name; it should stay for a long while. Now to making a good logo...

Will ABC local stations and Univision stations start sharing resources?

The O&Os might. Exceptions might be among the weaker Univision O&Os, such as WQHS/Cleveland (which has zero local news presence, not to mention being in one of the smallest Hispanic markets of any sort in the US).

Univision does still have a radio presence, and it's possible that they could partner with ABC News Radio (which is the only element of the old ABC Radio that Disney/ABC still operates directly; Cumulus owns the distribution rights).

After NBC bought Telemundo, such cooperation between the respective O&Os became natural. Now I'm curious if NBC and Telemundo might launch a 24 hour news channel of their own to go up against Fusion.

• 3 weeks later...

TVNewsCheck has digged deep into the info this new network. The network will be housed in a separate facility in a Miami suburb of Doral. They will be treating this new joint venture as a "separate entity", so they will be hiring fresh employess, including new higher ups. But in the interim, Univision will be handling the programming, while ABC will be running the sales & advertising. They want to start this new network by the late summer period.

I wonder if this network will also be featured on the O&Os digi-net listings. As of right now, the .2 and .3s are both of LiveWell Network (.2 is the HD, .3 is the SD)

They didn't even mention it and I strongly doubt they'll be doing that. Comcast & DirecTV is among the carriers that have yet to sign on the deal to carry the new network.

• 2 months later...

When are corporations going to realize that part-blunt, part-rounded terminals look stupid? You see the Comcast logo has the same treatment as well, it doesn't look good there either.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Univision.pngThis little map should give y'all an idea where the Univision studio's are inside the city of Doral. They are literally next door to a McDonalds (and Papa Johns) as part of one shopping center. They bought (or leased out) the set of warehouses behind the shopping plaza sometime around late 2011/early 2012. Also in the map is the Miami-Dade county Emergency Operation Center, the Federal Reserve Bank and then further south on NW 97th Avenue is where the new Miami Herald headquarters currently resides. The spot to the right is part of the Doral Golf Course & Resort. That course is however, not the Blue Monster that is normally for PGA events, but the Red Course. WFOR's studios are located off of NW 87th Avenue in a complex behind Romano's Macaroni Grill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I hate creating new threads for what I consider an "update". Looks like ABC/Disney is looking to get rid of their 50% ownership stake in Fusion: http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/disney-looking-to-exit-fusion-stake/280444

I call this "experiment," a failure at best.

I call this "experiment," a failure at best.

I agree. Now there's little live programming. Save for the Jorge Ramos America specials and reruns of the Dan Le Batard Show, I don't even know what they air anymore. I do know that their digital offerings appear to be doing relatively well.

Archived