The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I mean, they don't need a fifth meteorologist. They could just do Tracy in the A.M., Cheryl in the P.M., Troy weekend mornings and Phil weekend evenings. To me a fifth is just redundant.

That said, they'll probably stick with 5, I just don't see the need for 5.

There really isn't one but it's sort of the way they seem to like to do it. It's not the overburdening almost everywhere else for them to do as many as 4 and a half hours of newscasts...

Nobody really cares if they split the evenings up or not... In fact it might dilute the weather brand a bit...

Let's see...42.5 hours per week are divided as such...

• Jerry: 10 broadcasts per week, 5 hours on-air per week
  • Cheryl: 15 broadcasts, 12.5 hours
  • Tracy: 10 broadcasts, 15 hours
  • Phil: 6 broadcasts, 6 hours
  • Troy: 3 broadcasts, 5 hours

Now, Tracy's is weighted due the morning show, and her role on WCL is minimal, so her numbers are a little fluky. Cheryl's stats include the 7pm news, and who knows the shelf life there? I also broke the weekend morning shows into 2 parts, versus the 4-5 hour marathon, and did not include the GMA updates for any of the applicable three.

Let's see...42.5 hours per week are divided as such...

• Jerry: 10 broadcasts per week, 5 hours on-air per week
  • Cheryl: 15 broadcasts, 12.5 hours
  • Tracy: 10 broadcasts, 15 hours
  • Phil: 6 broadcasts, 6 hours
  • Troy: 3 broadcasts, 5 hours

Now, Tracy's is weighted due the morning show, and her role on WCL is minimal, so her numbers are a little fluky. Cheryl's stats include the 7pm news, and who knows the shelf life there? I also broke the weekend morning shows into 2 parts, versus the 4-5 hour marathon, and did not include the GMA updates for any of the applicable three.

See there really isn't a super compelling reason for either Jerry or Cheryl to not do the full 17.5 hours all alone...

So, I remember complaining awhile ago how there seems to be very little predictability in ABC 7's substitution hierarchy, but I'm now warming up the way they play around with the anchor teams. Honestly, I don't know why I'm addressing the issue, but when Krashesky and Babich co-anchor a day after Sanders and Brock in the same time slot, I recall my original stance.

So, I remember complaining awhile ago how there seems to be very little predictability in ABC 7's substitution hierarchy, but I'm now warming up the way they play around with the anchor teams. Honestly, I don't know why I'm addressing the issue, but when Krashesky and Babich co-anchor a day after Sanders and Brock in the same time slot, I recall my original stance.

Krashesky and Babich.. Interesting.

There's some new graphics on the 10 o'clock news. Some much better-looking titles are being used during the cold open, sleeker and less cluttered compared to the promo bar they were using before.

Video removed. Updated version below.

• Like 1

That's very nice. I'm glad they cleaned it up... I still don't really like cold opens but I can't think of a better way to do one.

At least they get through it quickly. Channel 5's sometimes last as long as the headline cues on the network newscasts.

One gripe about 7's, though. With this change, I hope they'll stick to one cut of the theme, as they've used two, pretty much on alternating nights.

At least they get through it quickly. Channel 5's sometimes last as long as the headline cues on the network newscasts.

One gripe about 7's, though. With this change, I hope they'll stick to one cut of the theme, as they've used two, pretty much on alternating nights.

The networks waste valuable time previewing what's to come rather than opening and giving the headline. Why let people know whether to turn it off right away or not? Just start it and keep them watching with solid stories that matter... That means no "50 million in the path of the storm of the day" or "today x celebrity got divorced". That A block needs to be your bread and butter.

The networks waste valuable time previewing what's to come rather than opening and giving the headline. Why let people know whether to turn it off right away or not? Just start it and keep them watching with solid stories that matter... That means no "50 million in the path of the storm of the day" or "today x celebrity got divorced". That A block needs to be your bread and butter.

The networks used to do it that way but then research showed that viewers want to know what's ahead and teasing stories would actually make more viewers stay tuned in rather than tuning out if they weren't interested in the lead stories. If just starting the newscast with solid news that matters kept the average viewer watching, then that's what would be happening all across the TV news landscape.

The networks used to do it that way but then research showed that viewers want to know what's ahead and teasing stories would actually make more viewers stay tuned in rather than tuning out if they weren't interested in the lead stories. If just starting the newscast with solid news that matters kept the average viewer watching, then that's what would be happening all across the TV news landscape.

Some places do it that way...

Open and then lead story title and 5-10 second clip with live VO and right into a zoom to a 2 shot. No dragged out preview of anything.

The station's having fun with it. The full description on the pic says that he accidentally left his shoes at the gym. Besides, his feet will be behind the table for the segment on Sunday, and under the desk at 5.

Or.... shorts.

No joke, Giangreco had cargo shorts on at 5 during one of the last shows on State Street, the far stage right angle exposing his choice of pants. He then waved his leg to make sure viewers saw.

Anyway, while this may have been just for today's season premiere, the WCL news updates were done in new format. The show started right at 11, with the first news and weather update coming at 11:28, and the full forecast at 11:57, after the show's completion and a quick break, and leading right into The Chew.

The 4 o'clock news wanted to get in on the cold open fun, but you could say they got things a little backwards. Theme first, then the headline cue. It doesn't flow well, at all.

I do wonder, though, if these new/updated graphics opening the 4 and 10 are previewing a slight refresh, or if these will somehow be incorporated with the new set.

• Like 1

The 4 o'clock news wanted to get in on the cold open fun, but you could say they got things a little backwards. Theme first, then the headline cue. It doesn't flow well, at all.

I do wonder, though, if these new/updated graphics opening the 4 and 10 are previewing a slight refresh, or if these will somehow be incorporated with the new set.

Yeah that's not what was probably supposed to happen at least I hope not... The way they did those graphics looks pretty good though...