The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's likely for sweeps, but ABC 7 started the 10 o'clock news with a cold-ish open. They did use a 'Eyewitness News' cut for it, but I can't say I hated it. To be clear, I'm not talking about the 9:59 credit roll promo. All the other music and cues remain the same.

(Go the :19 second mark)

[yt]_JJ7pTYBsbg?t=9s[/yt]

Did you edit this down from the original length or did they literally hop credit roll promo to cold open? WXYZ did something weird tonight too for sweeps, a cold tease at the end of the A block ala WPIX, the tease was nearly identical to that in format. Our opens are always cold as well but have 2 commercials shoved in the middle after the credit roll.... so you are probably right that it's a sweeps thing for ABC7. I like it better than the talentless open into live read myself, plus it sounds perfect because it is prerecorded. No chance of stumbling this way. I kind of hope they keep it as a feature and don't one off it.

Right, I was thinking it needs a bit of work myself, I think it would look better if they did a credit roll tease, quick break and then cold open, only because it looked like they went from a tease into a tease with no warning. It really should be broken up somehow or have one of the two formats chosen to be the tease or open. Maybe they should just start with the cold open during the credit roll like some of the cable networks do?

My memory is foggy since I haven't been in town to watch it OTA with commercials intact in over a month, but how did it normally go? Credit roll to open or Credit roll to commercial to open? Everybody is blocked slightly differently as we know.

I'm pretty sure it depends on the preceding program as to whether or not there are commercials between the credit roll and the newscast.

That's why I asked the question about what it usually does. When one station goes straight to news and one goes to two commercials and they are on the same network that comes down to individual blocking decisions and where to sell ad space. The previous program wouldn't be relevant here because it was the same, but would be if it was say the first evening newscast coming out of syndication where your end times would be different.

I mean to say that WLS tends to do it both ways on the 10pm news. I've seen them go straight from the credits into the newscast some nights but go to commercial first on other nights.

I see it now, sorry I totally misread that. They must have an concrete time they want to start, I've seen ours start as late as 11:01:30 before.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a stupid question but digging through this thread hasn't yielded any information. Do we know who made the current graphics package at 7?

Not. A. Clue.

There's a lot of clear inspiration from ABC 7's sister stations, so I dunno.

Not. A. Clue.

Ok since they resemble the ones at WABC for example is there any idea on those? It's such a mystery on these unless they are an in-company job.

The current ABC7 EWN @ WLS: is it like EWN was before there, or is it different (outside, of course, of the title being ABC7 EWN now)?

Not particularly. Some of the little nuances of the broadcast have changed, but nothing significant. They've even become comfortable enough in the branding that the 'ABC7' is occasionally dropped in favor of just 'Eyewitness News' in some promos, which is nice, because the full title can be quite wordy.

• Like 1

Not. A. Clue.

I've heard that Ruth Dial, formerly of GO, worked on the package. I've also heard that Rey Rodriguez worked on these at WLS' request, and that WLS originally wanted to go with GO, but he had left (obviously this was all going on in late 2012).

Whether or not these people are operating as "Blue Helio" is up for debate.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official. EVERY regular anchor at WLS has anchored the 4pm news. Judy Hsu is sitting in for Linda today. Seeing as she worked this morning, I doubt she'll be on the air past 4:56.

[twitter]KrasheskyABC7/status/469581841897226241[/twitter]

Judy's trying to give Tracy Butler's two-day weather extravaganza a run for its money. She'll be back on tonight at 4, 5 and 6 after doing the morning show. Hosea must've skipped town early, as Alan Krashesky did WCL this morning. Ron will likely be solo tonight at 10.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I was curious about:

I know ABC7 gets weekend world news previews with David Muir that mention the anchors name or Chicago or something to make them not generic. Do the weekday newscasts get a customized Diane Sawyer preview or a customized Jimmy Kimmel one? I saw Ron Magers reaction to them mentioned in the chat box and it got me wondering. Here in Detroit we get the weekday anchor interactions for WN and Jimmy Kimmel saying the anchors names before his preview clip. I'm supposing something like that is an option for affiliates?

'World News' is always customized, and Kimmel never is.

That's what I thought, I'm kind of surprised Kimmel isn't since it's an O&O. Didn't know if they had changed it yet or not. I wonder how easy Ron could make fun of him if it was customized and he said "Thanks Ron and Kathy". I'll have to watch and see him react now.